Official NBA Discussion Thread

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 02:59 PM)
Jermaine O'Neal is out roughly 8 weeks with a groin injury.  Those 7/8 spots probably just got a little bit easier.

Its killing me. I finally thought I had my full fantasy squad together and now he's gone for 8 months. It looks like my fantasy winning streak is gonna come to an end.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 10:29 AM)
Its killing me.  I finally thought I had my full fantasy squad together and now he's gone for 8 months.  It looks like my fantasy winning streak is gonna come to an end.

You've still got it Gage. :P

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 11:08 AM)
8 weeks, I thought.

As did I. But let's not go into the mind of Gage now.

I saw the Suns just acquired Tskistvilli? from the T-Wolves for a 2nd round pick. IIRC D'Antoni might have coached him in Europe. If he's ever going to come good, Phoenix is probably the best place for him to do so.

Szczerbiak, Davis change teams in seven-player trade

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2307791

BOSTON -- The Boston Celtics acquired Wally Szczerbiak and Michael Olowokandi from the Minnesota Timberwolves on Thursday night in a multiplayer deal that sent Ricky Davis and three other players to Minnesota.

Davis, Mark Blount, Marcus Banks, Justin Reed and two conditional second-round draft picks are going to the slumping Timberwolves. The Celtics also get Dwayne Jones and a future first-round draft pick, Celtics spokesman Jeff Twiss said.

"We are ecstatic to acquire a player of Wally Szczerbiak's quality to complement Paul Pierce and our young talent base," Celtics director of basketball operations Danny Ainge said in a statement.

"In Wally, we are receiving an All-Star player who is playoff tested and who has been a winner at all levels. We wish Ricky, Mark, Marcus, and Justin continued success in Minnesota."

The Boston Herald and TNT first reported the trade Thursday night.

Davis was the Celtics' second leading scorer at 19.7 behind Paul Pierce, while Szczerbiak is averaging 20.1 points for the Timberwolves.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 09:53 PM)
I sorta like this trade for the Wolves.  They get a decent big and some young talent back.  I don't see what this really does for Boston.  Does Kandi have an expiring contract?

Timberwolves slapped the s*** out of boston as far as i see it. Olowokandi does have an expiring contract but szczerbiak is owed 11, 12, and 13 million the next three seasons. :puke

Edited by q\/\/3r+y

Ricky Davis > Wally in my mind by a lot.  The Celtics get the expiring contract and get out of Blount's contract, but as was mentioned previously, Wally has a pretty s***ty contract as well.  Worst thing about this deal is there goes my hopes Pierce will get dealt to the Bulls.

Gordon and Thomas for Pierce was a pipedream anyways, unless the Celtics are morons.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 01:24 AM)
Looks more even to me than they way you put it...

Marcus banks is a very good defender though believe his contract expires after this season. He will help them backing up. Blount will likely finish out this year and get spun off again ( they are looking for big men). Even if they end up keeping him he is superior to olowokandi in every way outside of rebounding. Better defender, more athletic, good stamina, much better shooter... nice touch. Szczerbiak is one dimensional ( all offense no defense) and has a crazy contract. Ricky davis is the best player is also the best player in the deal. The timberwolves finally dumped the two players have they been trying to for years. That alone makes this a good trade and should now make garnett happier.

This deal is definitely in the timberwolves favor.

Edited by q\/\/3r+y

QUOTE(q\/\/3r+y @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 06:44 PM)
Marcus banks is a very good defender though believe his contract expires after this season. He will help them backing up. Blount will likely finish out this year and get spun off again ( they are looking for big men). Even if they end up keeping him he is superior to olowokandi in every way outside of rebounding. Better defender, more athletic, good stamina, much better shooter... nice touch. Szczerbiak is one dimensional ( all offense no defense) and has a crazy contract. Ricky davis is the best player is also the best player in the deal. The timberwolves finally dumped the two players have they been trying to for years. That alone makes this a good trade and should now make garnett happier.

This deal is definitely in the timberwolves favor.

Who's going to want Blount when he's got 4 years left on his deal, and when you can sign centers like Mohammed or Cato without giving up anyone?

Banks will be stuck behind Jaric and Hudson. Can't see him staying long - term.

I think you are overrating Blount too much. Last season he was terrible.

Wally may play no defense, but the T-Wolves are terrible offensively right now as it is. I think Davis is overrated by some, as this is what his 4th team he's been on now.

Here are the Player Efficiency Ratings for Wally vs Davis;

The Wolves are well past the point of "slightly in favor" doing them any good regardless of if it's true, and Szczerbiak has a significant edge in Hollinger's all-encompassing pet stat, Player Efficiency Rating:

TS%     AST%    REB%      TO%       PER

Szczerbiak     60.1     12.9     7.4      9.9     18.67

Davis          52.9     19.8     6.5     10.3     16.06

Suposedly Davis is a slasher, yet he only goes to the FT line 3.9 times in 41.7 mins as well.

And also, the Celtics got a 1st round pick as well.

And also, the Celtics got a 1st round pick as well.

The Celtics are also giving up two future second-rounders...

http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celtics/vi...rticleid=123127

The Celtics have reached agreement tonight on a trade that sends Ricky Davis, Mark Blount, Marcus Banks, Justin Reed and two future second-round draft picks to Minnesota for Wally Szczerbiak, Michael Olowokandi and rookie Dwayne Jones.

But I did just hear a radio update that the Celtics are getting back a 1st round pick from the Timberwolves as well.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 07:19 PM)
The Celtics are giving up two future second-rounders...

http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celtics/vi...rticleid=123127

2nd rounders really mean jack though. I mean sure you may get a bench player or 2, but the Celtics have shown they can get some contributers in the draft over the past few years like Delonte West, and they got Gerald Green as well.