Official NBA Discussion Thread

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 01:13 PM)
Don't be.  I understand why you think that way, but Avery Johnson has done a great job and their defense is VERY improved.  I think they might actually be better than the Spurs, even though your not supposed to say that.

Better than the Spurs? No way. Yeah, their d is improved. Hard to get much worse. But the Spurs have been a top 3 defense year in and year out. Unlike the Mavs, the Spurs are proven. Duncan and Manu are a little banged up right now. But I can almost guarantee you they'll be ready to go come playoff time. Which is bad news for the rest of the West.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 12:43 AM)
That depends a lot on what San Antonio/Phoenix/Dallas wind up doing.  If Dirk/Nash/Duncan go down for while, there'd be little reason for them to slam on the accelerator at the end of the season when they could give people a week or two of limited playing time, extra rest, and Darko.  I mean, you'd have to feel pretty damn stupid if you wrapped up home court advantage and then a few games later one of them 5 starters comes down with a nagging injury like Shaq had in the playoffs last year.

Right now they're 39-8, going 67-15 is what I think they'll end up being. Even if they do rest some players, they'll still win a good portion of games. Finishing 28-7 still would be a rapid pace to finish. But I don't think they'll have any less than 65 wins and I'm guessing 67.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 01:50 PM)
Right now they're 39-8, going 67-15 is what I think they'll end up being. Even if they do rest some players, they'll still win a good portion of games. Finishing 28-7 still would be a rapid pace to finish. But I don't think they'll have any less than 65 wins and I'm guessing 67.

Detroit will win 60-65, I've been saying that all year and I'm sticking by it.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 11:45 AM)
Better than the Spurs?  No way.  Yeah,  their d is improved.  Hard to get much worse.  But the Spurs have been a top 3 defense year in and year out.  Unlike the Mavs,  the Spurs are proven.  Duncan and Manu are a little banged up right now.  But I can almost guarantee you they'll be ready to go come playoff time.  Which is bad news for the rest of the West.

Yes, but it only takes 1 elbow or turn of an ankle to suddenly make it so that the Spurs will be in deep trouble. And even then...we haven't yet seen the best of the Suns, and it's also always possible for an "unproven" team to beat a proven one...by those standards, the Bulls were pretty unproven when they beat the living Hell out of the Pistons in 91.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 05:34 PM)
Yes, but it only takes 1 elbow or turn of an ankle to suddenly make it so that the Spurs will be in deep trouble.  And even then...we haven't yet seen the best of the Suns, and it's also always possible for an "unproven" team to beat a proven one...by those standards, the Bulls were pretty unproven when they beat the living Hell out of the Pistons in 91.

I never said an unproven team couldn't beat a proven team. He said the Mavs might be better than the Spurs. I say that's totally false until the Mavs prove themselves in the playoffs. We know what the Spurs can do when it counts. That's the difference. And injuries go for everybody.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 06:34 PM)
Yes, but it only takes 1 elbow or turn of an ankle to suddenly make it so that the Spurs will be in deep trouble. 

I don't exactly follow that argument. The Spurs have been battling injuries to two of their top 3 guys, Duncan and Ginobili, yet they still have a very good record.

Almost every team in every sport will suffer a lot when losing a key player to injury. :unsure:

Scott pollard with 16 rebounds? :huh:

Arenas with 45 points, 5 rebounds, and 7 assists.

Caron butler with 34 points, 15 rebounds, 4 assists, and 3 steals... he has had some big rebounding games this year. I bet he could average about 8 boards per game if given the chance.

Mike james still playing great... 34 points tonight.

Garnett recently took the rebound lead with 17 boards... still time to play.

Dalembert with 7 blocks. :o

QUOTE(q\/\/3r+y @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 10:20 PM)
New york loses like usual... wo0t.

The seattle/new orleans game looks like a good one.

In that portland and indiana game indiana beat the s*** out of them, 101-69.

Did the Vanilla Gorilla get hurt?

Edit: Ok, that was a random question, but I was noticing that he only played 7 minutes, and I thought maybe somebody has the NBA package. More of a fantasy question for me.

Edited by SleepyWhiteSox

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 09:18 PM)
Brian Cook having his 2nd great game in a row

28 on 12-16 shooting last night, 27 on 11-18 tonight. So 55 on 23-34 shooting the last 2 nights, proving what I've said all year which is the Lakers biggest problem is Kobe is taking too many of Brian Cook's shots.

:ph34r:

It looks like New York should definitely be favorites for that #1 pick right now. The Hawks are actually starting to play some good ball, Joe Johnson's getting more consistent at the point, and once the Cats get the likes of Okafor back, they'll get better too.

So let the Morrison vs. Aldrige discussions begin.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 06:32 PM)
well we wont take Morrison if the Knicks get the 1st pick so there is no discussion  :P  Im all about Rudy Gay though

I saw Rudy Gay fall down to #5 on nbadraft.net a few days ago, and now he's back up to #1.

And remember that pick has no protection whatsoever, so even if the Knicks do get the #1 selection it goes to Chicago. And I wouldn't rule em out taking Morrison. If they decide to move Gordon, they need a SG, and Bulls fans have been harping on for months about how they need a big one who can play defense.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 07:47 AM)
I saw Rudy Gay fall down to #5 on nbadraft.net a few days ago, and now he's back up to #1.

And remember that pick has no protection whatsoever, so even if the Knicks do get the #1 selection it goes to Chicago. And I wouldn't rule em out taking Morrison. If they decide to move Gordon, they need a SG, and Bulls fans have been harping on for months about how they need a big one who can play defense.

Im not a college basketball freak i but isnt Morrison a pretty worthless defender?

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 06:49 PM)
Im not a college basketball freak i but isnt Morrison a pretty worthless defender?

Probably, but I'd take it he'd be better then Gordon at least. I found this on him;

Plays hard on defense but lacks great lateral quickness ...

I don't know what site suggests Morrison tries on defense, but I would suggest not going to it anymore. I think Morrison is the most careless defender I've ever seen, he plays like he doesn't care since he'll just score 35 himself anyways. And even if he ever tries one day, he's way too slow to guard a wing in the NBA.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

When I read the Bulls notes after the game recap today, boy was I glad to see this:

Forward Kenyon Martin, who didn't play because of a sore knee, reportedly is being shopped for a trade. The Bulls were approached, but Martin's off-season knee surgery and the 5 1/2 remaining years on his contract---worth $73 million--- turned off the Bulls, according to a source in the organization.

Just say no to K-Mart! His skills arent worth his injuries.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 02:28 AM)
It looks like New York should definitely be favorites for that #1 pick right now. The Hawks are actually starting to play some good ball, Joe Johnson's getting more consistent at the point, and once the Cats get the likes of Okafor back, they'll get better too.

So let the Morrison vs. Aldrige discussions begin.

I wouldn't touch Morrison. He's strictly a small forward, and we already have two of those that are pretty decent. Top 3 is probably too high for Morrison anyways. He can score, but he's slow and doesn't pass a whole lot. He's too similar to Wally Sczerbiak: great college player, decent NBA player at best. I really hope we don't take Morrison or Shelden Williams (I don't think he can stay out of foul trouble in the pros, plus he has no offensive moves). I'd take Gay long before Morrison. He is exponentially better as an athlete and has a decent mid-range jumper. He has a few weaknesses (outside shot comes and goes, not the greatest passer, sometimes too passive), but he has a much higher ceiling.

Aldridge would be ideal. Ronnie Brewer might be another interesting pick. He's got the body of a small forward but has the athleticism to play 2 guard, and is even a good enough ballhandler to occasionally play PG. His shooting is a major question mark though. I wouldn't be entirely aversed to Tiago Splitter with our own pick either, although you never know with those foreigners (and his buyout is probably an issue). Randy Foye and Maurice Ager (and maybe Shannon Brown) are other options if we want to take a bigger shooting guard. In terms of other big men, the pickings are slim. Al Horford from Florida is an option, but he's pretty raw. Paul Davis is another, but he's probably too small for center, too slow for PF, and probably too soft in general, but he's a fairly skilled big man that might help. Josh McRoberts might be the only other real big man. Not only is he too raw, he probably isn't in a hurry to leave Duke.

Basically it doesn't look like we're going to get a whole lot of help unless we get the #1 pick and take Aldridge.