Official NBA Discussion Thread

Magic Johnson was always top 5 in turnovers too; that's what happens when you run a fast break type offense. I'm not saying Chauncey doesn't deserve MVP, but I wouldn't discount Nash because of turnovers especially since he's had to get used to new people while Billups has been playing with the same 4 guys since like 2004.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't take anything away from Chauncey Billups. The guy has had an excellent year and is a no doubt mvp canidate. However, when word came out Amare was gonna miss atleast the first half of the season, what did you predict the Suns would do? Many predicted they would fall apart. Many predicted they would struggle to maintain a .500 record. Well, they're 26-13 and argubly the second best team in the west behind the Spurs. Who's the main reason for this? Steve Nash. Who the hell was Boris Diaw before this year? Who the hell was James Jones before this year? Who the hell was Eddie House before this year? All these guys are flourishing playing with Nash.

It looks like Ben Wallace might be out for a while. Let's see how the Pistons can hang without him. If they struggle, I think that will play a big role in who wins the mvp this year.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 01:50 AM)
He would not have been demoted if he had done this consistently.  Now let's see him string a few games like this together before we hand over a permanent starting spot again.

He will pull out some sort of injury, usually the case with him

Well maybe Steve-O, it's because you BLOW (hey that rhimes :lol:) (talking about gettin 4 points in OT);

"You have to be put in those positions to be able to do those things," Francis said. "Sometimes I wasn't put in the position to do those things at the end of the game."

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 08:47 PM)
Me thinks Tyson should start more....

That was a really fun game to watch. The Bulls played consistent and strong. Chandler was the Chandler I came to expect last year and Othella did a good job. Othella can d up on centers and try to do what AD and Curry did for Chandler last year.

I think Skiles should stick with that lineup. Noc is playing awesome though, tough to have him on the bench but he still gets tons of minutes.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 03:29 AM)
Tyson Chandler played a hell of a game tonight.

15 points, 7-9 shooting, 14 boards (8 offensive), 2 blocks and a steal

:headbang

I didn't get to see the game last night. Did he do that out of the PF slot? It looks like he started there if his box score slot is any indication, although I've been looking at various sites (basketballboards, realgm) and I can't find any info.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 01:11 PM)
I didn't get to see the game last night.  Did he do that out of the PF slot?  It looks like he started there if his box score slot is any indication, although I've been looking at various sites (basketballboards, realgm) and I can't find any info.

I'm pretty sure he was at the 4. But I can't say positively because I didn't watch much of the game.

Did Othella start?... if so he guarded the Centers when Chandler was out so id assume he would play the number 5. If so thats the starting lineup I have wanted for a long time....

On a sidenote how the f*** did Luol Deng get ejected.... He hardly talks the refs must of been pricks.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 11:00 PM)
Kobe has 81.

P.S.  He's the best player in the NBA.

Not to sound like a hater, but Phil, Kobe, his teammates and the entire Raptor team should be ashamed of themselves. First of all, the game was over with like 7 minutes to go. Why is he still in the game? What if he gets hurt? Second, each one of Kobe's teammates refused to shoot the ball so Kobe could pad his point total. Third, the Raptors offered no resistence whatsover. You've got a guy out there showin you up when the game is long but over. They rarely bothered to double. Man, atleast make the guy feel it when he goes to the basket. It's like they wanted Kobe to run up his point total. If anybody tried to pull that s*** 15-20 years ago, they would've left the game on a stretcher.

I have to admit, I've been a Kobe hater a long, long time. But I have to finally give in tonight, he's the closest thing to Jordan that we will see for a long time. He's a crappy guy, but damn, he's unstoppable on the court. He makes ridiculous fadeaways look like a free throw. I feel much better now letting that out. Next thing you know, I might admit JJ Redick is a great college basketball player, NAH.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 11:19 PM)
I have to admit, I've been a Kobe hater a long, long time. But I have to finally give in tonight, he's the closest thing to Jordan that we will see for a long time. He's a crappy guy, but damn, he's unstoppable on the court. He makes ridiculous fadeaways look like a free throw. I feel much better now letting that out. Next thing you know, I might admit JJ Redick is a great college basketball player, NAH.

It was a great performance overall. I just don't believe in distorting a game that's already over to pad your point total. I remember many times in where Jordan could've went out there in the 4th quarter in games that were already decided simply to pad his point total. I just don't get the Raptors mentality. I would've clobbered Kobe if he was out there trying to show me up like that. The game has really changed over the years.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 11:33 PM)
It was a great performance overall.  I just don't believe in distorting a game that's already over to pad your point total.  I remember many times in where Jordan could've went out there in the 4th quarter in games that were already decided simply to pad his point total.  I just don't get the Raptors mentality.  I would've clobbered Kobe if he was out there trying to show me up like that.  The game has really changed over the years.

I agree, it was absolutely disgusting for Toronto to allow this. Once past 70 points, Kobe would have been double--if not triple teamed if I were opposing him on the court. Not to mention the rib shots and hard elbows he'd receive. Stormin' Normin' Van Leer would know what to do....

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 09:00 PM)
Kobe has 81.

P.S.  He's the best player in the NBA.

That was just a sick game. They were down by like 18 or so at one point in the 3rd quarter and ended up winning by 18 or so. The guy was ridiculous.

I agree he's the best scorer in the NBA. Don't know if he's the best player but he's one of the top 3 guys. Only thing I don't like is that he doesn't make the other guys better.

Tonight he told the rest of the team to f*** off (they were playing worthless) and he just went on a tear. I give him credit though, he's totally carrying this squad. Without him one of the 3 worse teams in the NBA. With him, they will probably get one of the last 2 spots in the west.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 09:15 PM)
Not to sound like a hater,  but Phil,  Kobe,  his teammates and the entire Raptor team should be ashamed of themselves.  First of all,  the game was over with like 7 minutes to go.  Why is he still in the game?  What if he gets hurt?  Second,  each one of Kobe's teammates refused to shoot the ball so Kobe could pad his point total.  Third,  the Raptors offered no resistence whatsover.  You've got a guy out there showin you up when the game is long but over.  They rarely bothered to double.  Man,  atleast make the guy feel it when he goes to the basket.  It's like they wanted Kobe to run up his point total.  If anybody tried to pull that s*** 15-20 years ago,  they would've left the game on a stretcher.

Dude they were freaking triple teaming him in the 4th quarter. The rest of his team is inept. Kobe scored like 27 points in the 3rd quarter and I think the rest of his team had like 4 or 6. They are f***ing terrible.

As far as him staying in, the game wasn't a blowout with 7 minutes left. They started blowing them out but it wasn't a done deal.

Once they were up why not let him go for the record. You don't think that stuff happened in Wilt's magic game. Come on.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 09:33 PM)
It was a great performance overall.  I just don't believe in distorting a game that's already over to pad your point total.  I remember many times in where Jordan could've went out there in the 4th quarter in games that were already decided simply to pad his point total.  I just don't get the Raptors mentality.  I would've clobbered Kobe if he was out there trying to show me up like that.  The game has really changed over the years.

62 points through 3 quarters earlier this year and he wasn't in. This game wasn't the blowout you all thought it was. Lets not forget the Raptors were up big in the 3rd quarter at one point.

Kobe singlehandedly brought this team back in it.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 09:43 PM)
I agree, it was absolutely disgusting for Toronto to allow this. Once past 70 points, Kobe would have been double--if not triple teamed if I were opposing him on the court. Not to mention the rib shots and hard elbows he'd receive. Stormin' Normin' Van Leer would know what to do....

I assume you guys didn't watch the game (I think I watched all but about 5 minutes of it) and he was getting double and mostly triple teamed the entire 4th quarter. It didn't matter. In this one quick stretch of the 3rd he went totally off though. It was insane.

And I hate Kobe, but I'm more than willing to admit he's a hell of a player.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 12:17 AM)
Dude they were freaking triple teaming him in the 4th quarter.  The rest of his team is inept.  Kobe scored like 27 points in the 3rd quarter and I think the rest of his team had like 4 or 6.  They are f***ing terrible. 

As far as him staying in, the game wasn't a blowout with 7 minutes left.  They started blowing them out but it wasn't a done deal. 

Once they were up why not let him go for the record.  You don't think that stuff happened in Wilt's magic game.  Come on.

I personally consider this the record for points in a game. Wilt chamberlain was against 6'4 ( on a tall day) unathletic white guys. There is a reason he averaged 50.4 points a game in a season and that is not because he was the best or most gifted player... he was very much so int he right place at the right time.

Kobe bryant was ridiculous today and anyone who thinks/says otherwise is foolish and just a pure hater. Most players wouldn't have gotten off the shots he did in the late third quarter and fourth quarter. He is something to watch.

Edited by q\/\/3r+y

QUOTE(q\/\/3r+y @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 10:25 PM)
I personally consider this the record for points in a game. Wilt chamberlain was against 6'4 ( on a tall day) unathletic white guys. There is a reason he averaged 50.4 points a game in a season and that is not because he was the best or most gifted player... he was very much so int he right place at the right time.

Kobe bryant was ridiculous today and anyone who thinks/says otherwise is foolish and just a pure hater. Most players wouldn't have gotten off the shots he did in the late third quarter and fourth quarter. He is something to watch.

Thank you qwerty. I figure you were actually watching the game as well cause anyone that hates on him for that performance is either deaf, dumb or blind (possibly all 3).

And I agree with you. It would have been like Shaq going up against a team full of Luke Waltons or Kirk Hinrich's. Its just a totally new era and that was the greatest performance I've ever seen out of an NBA player (now I've seen more clutch performances in bigger games, but tonights game was just insane).

In the 3rd quarter when he went on his initial explosion my dad and I just kept looking back at each other (after all his shots) just in total disbelief. This continues and (even as much as I hate Kobe) I was going nuts as he kept scoring and finding a way despite double and triple teams.

He's so explosive to the basket and is great at finishing. Plus he can hit pretty much any jumper he takes and has really improved his 3 point shot.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 12:17 AM)
Dude they were freaking triple teaming him in the 4th quarter.  The rest of his team is inept.  Kobe scored like 27 points in the 3rd quarter and I think the rest of his team had like 4 or 6.  They are f***ing terrible.

I saw the whole game, and they were NOT tripling him in the 4th quarter. Even the Lakers announcers were saying how the heck are they allowing Kobe to do this to them.

As far as him staying in, the game wasn't a blowout with 7 minutes left.  They started blowing them out but it wasn't a done deal.

They were up 17 with 6 minutes and 13 seconds to go. The Raptors had emptied out their 2nd stringers without about 4 minutes to go. The game was no doubt over.

Once they were up why not let him go for the record.  You don't think that stuff happened in Wilt's magic game.  Come on.

I never saw that game, obviously. I'm sure Wilt did pad his stats. Doesn't mean it's right.