Official NBA Discussion Thread

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 12:29 AM)
Thank you qwerty.  I figure you were actually watching the game as well cause anyone that hates on him for that performance is either deaf, dumb or blind (possibly all 3). 

And I agree with you.  It would have been like Shaq going up against a team full of Luke Waltons or Kirk Hinrich's.  Its just a totally new era and that was the greatest performance I've ever seen out of an NBA player (now I've seen more clutch performances in bigger games, but tonights game was just insane). 

In the 3rd quarter when he went on his initial explosion my dad and I just kept looking back at each other (after all his shots) just in total disbelief.  This continues and (even as much as I hate Kobe) I was going nuts as he kept scoring and finding a way despite double and triple teams. 

He's so explosive to the basket and is great at finishing.  Plus he can hit pretty much any jumper he takes and has really improved his 3 point shot.

To be honest i do not even hate kobe bryant. For one i do not believe any of the rape allegations... didn't from day one. I have always believed she was out to make the money. I mean everyone has seen her right? He has his wife at home and he rapes someone that is plain looking for no apparent reason? I don't believe they had an arguement or anything of that sort.

Do i hate kobe for wanting to be the leader of his own team? Being in the shadow of the most dominant player to ever play basketball for another 5-6 years and by the time shaq is gone he is already likely on a severe decline? I can understand his reasons and even more so because he was younger and not already 33. Young players take time to mature ( allen iverson perfect example) no matter what profession or setting they are in ( almost all the time anyway).

He might be some what of a douche and come off cocky, arrogant... etc... but if he ever gets traded to the bulls i will greet him with open arms.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 12:40 AM)
I saw the whole game,  and they were NOT tripling him in the 4th quarter.  Even the Lakers announcers were saying how the heck are they allowing Kobe to do this to them. 

They were up 17 with 6 minutes and 13 seconds to go.  The Raptors had emptied out their 2nd stringers without about 4 minutes to go.  The game was no doubt over. 

I never saw that game,  obviously.  I'm sure Wilt did pad his stats.  Doesn't mean it's right.

He had two men on him the entire fourth quarter. I am not saying two guys were directly on him but there was always a help defender very close. A help defender can sure as hell add alot of pressure and cause mistakes and he avoided it tonight.

You're right, Chisoxn, I didn't watch the game.

I assumed no basketball player, Bryant included, should have been able to do s*** under a triple team. NO ONE. I have to watch a replay of the fourth quarter, because if he is juking and jiving around three intent defenders (not just stiffs holding their arms up) it's a story worthy of a Hollywood epic.

Honestly, I'm not Bryant hater. It's similar to my feeling of any baseball player hitting 4 HR's. It's not only a testament of a players abilities, but an indictment on the pitcher foolish enough to challenge the hitter. Bryant didn't prove himself as one of the top players in the league tonight. Anyone who has watched basketball has already known this far before.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 12:49 AM)
What a great basketball day. Kobe gets 81 will obviously highlight the 152-149 win for the Sonics over the Suns and the huge comeback the 76'ers had on the Timberwolves.

An outstanding individual feat, huge comeback, and a high scoring game is practically the basketball trifecta. Only other event which could have made this day more interesting would be a brawl. Definitely overshadowed a bland NFL weekened.

QUOTE(q\/\/3r+y @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 12:43 AM)
He had two men on him the entire fourth quarter. I am not saying two guys were directly on him but there was always a help defender very close. A help defender can sure as hell add alot of pressure and cause mistakes and he avoided it tonight.

They would help initially, Kobe would pass, get the ball back, then basically go 1 on 1 with whatever scrub was guarding him. Listen, it was a great, great performance. I know it sounds like I'm hating. I just think the last 7 minutes or so of the game were retarded.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 01:51 AM)
Back when Kobe was in his second year, I bought an autographed picture of him for like $30. I hope it ends up being worth more than that and I'm sure it will be, even though I'm not a huge fan of him.

Now that you mention it, I traded for a couple of his rookie cards back when I was into basketball cards...I guess now would be a good time to look into prices...Anybody know a good site? Does Beckett (I think that's how it's spelled) put their price guides online?

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 01:58 AM)
They would help initially,  Kobe would pass,  get the ball back,  then basically go 1 on 1 with whatever scrub was guarding him.  Listen,  it was a great,  great performance.  I know it sounds like I'm hating.  I just think the last 7 minutes or so of the game were retarded.

You're right, it sounds like you're hating.

He sensed that he was hot, could make history, and did not want to pass it up again as he did last time. I don't fault him at all and applaud him all the way...

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 01:03 AM)
You're right, it sounds like you're hating.

He sensed that he was hot, could make history, and did not want to pass it up again as he did last time.  I don't fault him at all and applaud him all the way...

You would be singin a different tune if with less than 2 minutes to play, and the Lakers are up 20, Kobe somehow gets hurt. I know he didn't get hurt, so it's really a moot point. You're entitled to your opinion. I'm entitled to mine. I just don't believe in rubbing it in like that. And what really shocks me is how the Raptors didn't seem to mind one bit.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 12:54 AM)
An outstanding individual feat, huge comeback, and a high scoring game is practically the basketball trifecta. Only other event which could have made this day more interesting would be a brawl. Definitely overshadowed a bland NFL weekened.

Hopefully the NBA gets some positive press over all 3 of the events.

I wonder how this effects the Lakers' future. How many quality players will sign with Los Angeles knowing Bryant's selfish antics are backed by the entire organization? Their final record--and perhaps more importantly-- record in the playoffs, will play a large role in their future. What exactly is appealing about a low seeded team in a tough conference with no immediate hopes of obtaining a title? Overpaying will be the only route. Or the allure of playing in Los Angeles with Phil Jackson. I'm positive few basketball players throughout the league aren't telling themselves, "wow, I'd love to be that guys teammate."

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 06:33 PM)
I wonder how this effects the Lakers' future. How many quality players will sign with Los Angeles knowing Bryant's selfish antics are backed by the entire organization? Their final record--and perhaps more importantly-- record in the playoffs, will play a large role in their future. What exactly is appealing about a low seeded team in a tough conference with no immediate hopes of obtaining a title? Overpaying will be the only route. Or the allure of playing in Los Angeles with Phil Jackson. I'm positive few basketball players throughout the league aren't telling themselves, "wow, I'd love to be that guys teammate."

Right now, they really want Chris Bosh when he becomes a UFA. Bosh saw first hand tonight Kobe's game. I wonder what impact it will have as you said.

And I don't think Jackson is going to be there for anymore then 3 more years anyways, so that'll definitely have an impact.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 01:33 AM)

Kobe got what he's always wanted. The freedom to shoot as much as he wants, as often as he wants without anybody on the team being able to say a damn thing about it. It amazes me how most of Kobe's teammates, especially Odom, don't seem to mind that they go entire quarters at times without taking a shot. Do you know that Smush Parker was the Lakers second leading shot taker last night with 11? lol. Then people have the nerve to say the reason Kobe was taking all those shots is because nobody else was doing anything. You can't score if you don't shoot.

You're totally right in saying who the hell is gonna wanna play with a guy that shoots as much as Kobe does. Odom had a breakout year two years ago. He hasn't been the same since. Laker fans better enjoy these offensive outbursts by Kobe. That's about the only thing they have to look forward to.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 01:38 AM)
Right now, they really want Chris Bosh when he becomes a UFA. Bosh saw first hand tonight Kobe's game. I wonder what impact it will have as you said.

And I don't think Jackson is going to be there for anymore then 3 more years anyways, so that'll definitely have an impact.

They're already way over the cap as it is. Even when Brian Grant's contract is up, they're still over the cap. How will they be able to afford Bosh? Who no doubt will get a max or close to a max contract?

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 01:43 AM)
Kobe got what he's always wanted.  The freedom to shoot as much as he wants,  as often as he wants without anybody on the team being able to say a damn thing about it.  It amazes me how most of Kobe's teammates,  especially Odom,  don't seem to mind that they go entire quarters at times without taking a shot.  Do you know that Smush Parker was the Lakers second leading shot taker last night with 11?  lol.  Then people have the nerve to say the reason Kobe was taking all those shots is because nobody else was doing anything.  You can't score if you don't shoot.

You're totally right in saying who the hell is gonna wanna play with a guy that shoots as much as Kobe does.  Odom had a breakout year two years ago.  He hasn't been the same since.  Laker fans better enjoy these offensive outbursts by Kobe.  That's about the only thing they have to look forward to.

There is a reason Kobe takes all the shots on that team. Look at the Lakers record when Odom shoots 15+ shots, it's not pretty. It's pretty amazing that this team is over .500 and it's all Kobe and Phil. Kobe is the best parimeter player in basketball right now, period.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 07:59 AM)
There is a reason Kobe takes all the shots on that team.  Look at the Lakers record when Odom shoots 15+ shots, it's not pretty.  It's pretty amazing that this team is over .500 and it's all Kobe and Phil.  Kobe is the best parimeter player in basketball right now, period.

So you're saying Lamar should never take more than 15 shots in a game? I don't know what their record is when he does take 15+ shots, but that's sure as hell not the reason why they're only a couple games over.500. All I'm saying is that Kobe can score all the points he wants. Him taking 35+ shots a night is not gonna do anything for his teammates or the success of the franchise in the long run. Jordan figured this out. Kobe's in his tenth season and still doesn't seem to understand that.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 08:15 AM)
So you're saying Lamar should never take more than 15 shots in a game?  I don't know what their record is when he does take 15+ shots,  but that's sure as hell not the reason why they're only a couple games over.500.  All I'm saying is that Kobe can score all the points he wants.  Him taking 35+ shots a night is not gonna do anything for his teammates or the success of the franchise in the long run.  Jordan figured this out.  Kobe's in his tenth season and still doesn't seem to understand that.

I'm not saying he should never shoot that many shots but he sure as hell shouldn't be taking a lot of shots per game imo. The Lakers are winless by the way when he shoots 15 or more. I agree that eventually Kobe is going to have to give up some shots but he really doesn't have a choice right now, if he doesn't shoot a ton, they aren't going to win.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 08:18 AM)
I'm not saying he should never shoot that many shots but he sure as hell shouldn't be taking a lot of shots per game imo.  The Lakers are winless by the way when he shoots 15 or more.  I agree that eventually Kobe is going to have to give up some shots but he really doesn't have a choice right now, if he doesn't shoot a ton, they aren't going to win.

I see your point. But they're not winning that much with him shooting a ton, either. Their record after 41 games is exactly where it was a year ago after 41 games. And they've got a very tough 7 game road trip coming up next week I believe. Lamar Odom had a breakout year in 2004. He clearly hasn't been the same player since. Coincidence? They've got a few guys on that team that could probably score atleast a little more then they are now. And it's not like the Lakers are gonna be able to add any real impact talent in the future anyway. Not unless they trade Lamar Odom. So it would be best for Kobe to pull back a little bit and see what the other guys can do. Of course, I know this isn't gonna happen.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

I heard Marc Stein I believe it was, state that this year with Kobe and the Lakers is alot like Jordan's early years in the league, when he had the freedom to do what he pleased and averaged over 35 points a game because of the lack of talent on the Bulls squads. It's amazing the Lakers have the record they do, and its solely because of Kobe's shooting. Nobody can stop him, and Phil realizes that. What will be interesting to me now, is to see if teams start putting all their focus on Kobe, and if Kobe's assist numbers go up accordingly. That to me will tell me if he's on Jordan's level. Otherwise he will still score alot, but his shooting percentage will go down, as will the Lakers. I haven't seen Kobe's ability to make teammates better in his career yet, but this second half of the season should be the perfect oppurtunity for that part of his game to come out, if its there.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 01:02 PM)
I heard Marc Stein I believe it was, state that this year with Kobe and the Lakers is alot like Jordan's early years in the league, when he had the freedom to do what he pleased and averaged over 35 points a game because of the lack of talent on the Bulls squads. It's amazing the Lakers have the record they do, and its solely because of Kobe's shooting. Nobody can stop him, and Phil realizes that. What will be interesting to me now, is to see if teams start putting all their focus on Kobe, and if Kobe's assist numbers go up accordingly. That to me will tell me if he's on Jordan's level. Otherwise he will still score alot, but his shooting percentage will go down, as will the Lakers. I haven't seen Kobe's ability to make teammates better in his career yet, but this second half of the season should be the perfect oppurtunity for that part of his game to come out, if its there.

The Lakers have to fall soon, I just dont see Kobe hitting his shots and carrying the team all season, teams have to double team him and make him pass the ball like u said, to improve other players, however I really think they make the playoffs.

Now the Bulls on the other hand. :rolly

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 06:15 AM)
So you're saying Lamar should never take more than 15 shots in a game?  I don't know what their record is when he does take 15+ shots,  but that's sure as hell not the reason why they're only a couple games over.500.  All I'm saying is that Kobe can score all the points he wants.  Him taking 35+ shots a night is not gonna do anything for his teammates or the success of the franchise in the long run.  Jordan figured this out.  Kobe's in his tenth season and still doesn't seem to understand that.

Lamar blows. He gets boards and is a decent passer, but he's lazy on defense and is a horrific shooter. Kobe's whole team sucks, yet if he stays healthy they will find a way to get into the playoffs.

Thats what I call amazing.

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 12:39 PM)
The Lakers have to fall soon, I just dont see Kobe hitting his shots and carrying the team all season, teams have to double team him and make him pass the ball like u said, to improve other players, however I really think they make the playoffs.

Now the Bulls on the other hand.  :rolly

Who has the much better future ahead of them? I rather be a bulls fan than a lakers fan at this point. All the bulls have to do is play their cards right and get a little lucky. Then i truly believe we will see a championship by the bulls within three full seasons from now.