Official NBA Discussion Thread

QUOTE(q\/\/3r+y @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 04:46 PM)
Who has the much better future ahead of them? I rather be a bulls fan than a lakers fan at this point. All the bulls have to do is play their cards right and get a little lucky.  Then  i truly believe we will see a championship by the bulls within three full seasons from now.

Three seasons? The way I figure, for such an event to occur we'd need two good draft picks this season--perhaps to trade for a superstar caliber player. Then next season, hope either the Knicks or us absolutely tank and miraculously draw the first lottery pick. We'd have an opportunity to draft the athletic, 7'1 center (forget his name) whose been drawing comparisons to Shaq. Eastern Conference is weak, but for us to suddenly pull together a championship team we'll need atleast ONE poor season.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 05:42 PM)
Three seasons? The way I figure, for such an event to occur we'd need two good draft picks this season--perhaps to trade for a superstar caliber player. Then next season, hope either the Knicks or us absolutely tank and miraculously draw the first lottery pick. We'd have an opportunity to draft the athletic center (Odem, is it?) whose been drawing comparisons to Shaq. Eastern Conference is weak, but for us to suddenly pull together a championship team we'll need atleast ONE poor season.

I think we'd need to find a really good big men to go with Tyson and than we can have Sweets off the bench. Than hope we can sign someone like Peja or trade for someone like Pierce.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 07:44 PM)
I think we'd need to find a really good big men to go with Tyson and than we can have Sweets off the bench.  Than hope we can sign someone like Peja or trade for someone like Pierce.

Which is why I believe a lottery pick is beneficial to this team. Someone may criticize me for lack of fan devotion, but does entering the playoffs as a 7th/8th seed after previously being a 4 strike anyone as progress? Knicks will likely provide one good pick, and if we have another we'll have two routes: package the two picks, whichever other player besides Gordon and Deng for a legitimate big man. Or, depending on the strenght of the draft, find your big men from college. I can't even begin to debate which players are available, since I don't watch much college basketball. But if what I heard is correct, the new rule of enrolling in college for a year has dramatically altered this particular draft. That route may not be very appealing.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 07:42 PM)
Three seasons? The way I figure, for such an event to occur we'd need two good draft picks this season--perhaps to trade for a superstar caliber player. Then next season, hope either the Knicks or us absolutely tank and miraculously draw the first lottery pick. We'd have an opportunity to draft the athletic, 7'1 center (forget his name) whose been drawing comparisons to Shaq. Eastern Conference is weak, but for us to suddenly pull together a championship team we'll need atleast ONE poor season.

The more years this team is together the better ( the core that is). Deng is gonna turn into a special player. You have to figure chandler will stop being the pussy that he is. Hinrich will be the point guard for another four five years. Nocioni could start on many teams is that is always a plus off the bench. This core is the same from last season and no one is gonna tell me eddy curry is/was and will ever be that vital of a piece to a team. The bulls clearly lost the desire to play tenacious defense like last season. I also really like the bench in songo slime... harrington... sweetney ( anyone of them starting here and there for us). Duhon is clearly a nice pg too contrary to what some may thing.

I also have no clue who this 7'1 center who is drawing comparisions to shaw is. I know it's not aldridge or bargani... hell there isn't any one seven feet or taller going in the first round.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 07:56 PM)
Which is why I believe a lottery pick is beneficial to this team. Someone may criticize me for lack of fan devotion, but does entering the playoffs as a 7th/8th seed after previously being a 4 strike anyone as progress? Knicks will likely provide one good pick, and if we have another we'll have two routes: package the two picks, whichever other player besides Gordon and Deng for a legitimate big man. Or, depending on the strenght of the draft, find your big men from college. I can't even begin to debate which players are available, since I don't watch much college basketball. But if what I heard is correct, the new rule of enrolling in college for a year has dramatically altered this particular draft. That route may not be very appealing.

If i am reading this right you are saying deng and gordon are the ones you do not want traded? Gordon won't be around for two more years imo. He just doesn't gel with the rest of the team and of course skiles.

No way the Bulls are within 3 years of a title. There need someone who can draw a double team, maybe that will be Deng, but at this point he is the only one with that potential. I actually am really hoping they can maybe send Gordon, a pick and Tim Thomas to the Celtics for Pierce (for all his faults a legitimate guy to draw double teams). Then you can have a lineup of Hinrich, Pierce and Deng with Duhon coming off the bench. Add some veteran help to the frontcourt, and the Bulls could be in good shape. They absolutely need that guy to draw a double team though.

Guess some don't realize the talent that is on this team. The bulls are easily one of the deepest teams in the league, and i also agree we need a superstar type player ( believe we have one in the making in deng). Actually i don't think he will ever be a super star but a type 20 player int he leaguye is not out of reach for a player of his caliber.

If you guys do not feel they can win a championship by the 2008-2009 when do you? Five years... ten... twenty? This team has to play it's cards right like i said, otherwise we will continue to be a 6th-8th seed.

QUOTE(q\/\/3r+y @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 09:28 PM)
Guess some don't realize the talent that is on this team. The bulls are easily one of the deepest teams in the league, and i also agree we need a superstar type player ( believe we have one in the making in deng). Actually i don't think he will ever be a super star but a type 20 player int he leaguye is not out of reach for a player of his caliber.

If you guys do not feel they can win a championship by the 2008-2009 when do you? Five years... ten... twenty? This team has to play it's cards right like i said, otherwise we will continue to be a 6th-8th seed.

As you know...^^^^^^^

QUOTE(q\/\/3r+y @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 09:28 PM)

Sorry, I guess I misread the original post. I agree with you completely that there is a very strong core in place and that the more years they play together the better they will be (no need to look further than Detroit and San Antonio to see the benefit of that). The Bulls are definitely a couple players away though. As i said earlier, someone to draw a double team, and some veteran front court depth and the Bulls could be there. Like you said, the Bulls need to make the right moves.

QUOTE(q\/\/3r+y @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 10:28 PM)

Deng and Kirk are the only talent, and neither will ever be a superstar. Role players like songaila and othella are going to be past 30 in 3 years. And you most certainly have to factor other young teams around the league improving as well, both through gaining experience and free agency.

A lot of things have to go right for the Bulls to be a championship-caliber team within the next 5 years, and saying they can just aquire a superstar is much easier said than done. In 3 years I still see this team as no better than a 4 seed in the East, but I hope they can prove me wrong. As of now, I personally don't like the make-up of the team. It's going to essentially be the 3rd rebuilding process now, and the past few years have shown that there are no guarantees that this organization is the type that is going to make all the right moves.

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 09:02 PM)
No way the Bulls are within 3 years of a title.  There need someone who can draw a double team, maybe that will be Deng, but at this point he is the only one with that potential.  I actually am really hoping they can maybe send Gordon, a pick and Tim Thomas to the Celtics for Pierce (for all his faults a legitimate guy to draw double teams).  Then you can have a lineup of Hinrich, Pierce and Deng with Duhon coming off the bench.  Add some veteran help to the frontcourt, and the Bulls could be in good shape.  They absolutely need that guy to draw a double team though.

I know you are the last poster to ackowledge any good in any of the teams. So if you say it, it is for obvious reason. I completeley agree. Looking down the roster, we are deep. I love our core for the future. Besides our core that is just getting better, we have lots of options. I think we can get a lot for one of the picks packaged with Ben Gordon. Say we make a draft day trade (an elton brand type deal of 2001) sign a key Free agent and bild that around our core. If pax can make the right moves in that direction then I see the Bulls as a top 4 seed next year and for years to come. Depends on the moves if they can be a major contender next year. I do think they have the pieces to make some moves that will get us to that level.

Assets

Build around for the future

Deng

Hinrich

Chandler or Sweetney (keep one)

Darius Songaila

Chris Duhon

Nocioni

Possible Trading Chips

Ben Gordon

Knicks 1st round pick (likely top 5 pick)

Bulls 1st round pick Likely 12-17th pick

Chandler or sweetney

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 10:30 PM)
Deng and Kirk are the only talent, and neither will ever be a superstar.  Role players like songaila and othella are going to be past 30 in 3 years.  And you most certainly have to factor other young teams around the league improving as well, both through gaining experience and free agency. 

A lot of things have to go right for the Bulls to be a championship-caliber team within the next 5 years, and saying they can just aquire a superstar is much easier said than done.  In 3 years I still see this team as no better than a 4 seed in the East, but I hope they can prove me wrong.  As of now, I personally don't like the make-up of the team.  It's going to essentially be the 3rd rebuilding process now, and the past few years have shown that there are no guarantees that this organization is the type that is going to make all the right moves.

KTHXBYETTYL.

QUOTE(q\/\/3r+y @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 05:57 PM)
The more years this team is together the better ( the core that is). Deng is gonna turn into a special player. You have to figure chandler will stop being the pussy that he is. Hinrich will be the point guard for another four five years. Nocioni could start on many teams is that is always a plus off the bench. This core is the same from last season and no one is gonna tell me eddy curry is/was and will ever be that vital of a piece to a team. The bulls clearly lost the desire to play tenacious defense like last season. I also really like the bench in songo slime... harrington... sweetney ( anyone of them starting here and there for us). Duhon is clearly a nice pg too contrary to what some may thing.

I also have no clue who this 7'1 center who is drawing comparisions to shaw is. I know it's not aldridge or bargani... hell there isn't any one seven feet or taller going in the first round.

I got to see a little bit of Aldridge today, but is he supposed to be the top pick this year? Anyone that follows him more (I really don't follow the big 12 much) tell us a little more about him? I'm assuming he'd be a hell of a pick for the Bulls, but maybe I'm wrong?

QUOTE(q\/\/3r+y @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 07:28 PM)

I pretty much agree with you. I think Deng needs to develop (and he will; his shot has already improved greatly in one season), we have a strong bench, but we also need to find a legit center.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 02:10 AM)
Unless the Bulls actually get a legiminate center, I don't know if they can be a top 4 team in the East. I'd still rate Miami, Detroit, whoever wins the Atlantic and Indiana ahead of them.

Thanks for stating the obvious.

I still think an off-season of signing Al Harrington and Nazr Mohammed will really do the trick.....than maybe idonno if golden state will do this but like Nocioni and a future 1st rounder or something for Pietrus.... but we dont even need pietrus that would just be added bonus.

my ideal team:

Kirk Hinrich

Ben Gordon

Chris Duhon

Michael Pietrus(or if not Nocioni is fine)

Luol Deng

Al Harrington

Tyson Chandler

Nazr Mohammed

Othella Harrington

Darius Songaila

1st round pick

1st round pick

if we could get Pietrus would be great but dont know if Golden State will trade him but if not we can go w/out him 1 year and than he hits free agency i think.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 01:24 AM)
I got to see a little bit of Aldridge today, but is he supposed to be the top pick this year?  Anyone that follows him more (I really don't follow the big 12 much) tell us a little more about him?  I'm assuming he'd be a hell of a pick for the Bulls, but maybe I'm wrong?

Aldridge definitely has skills. Here's the problem...he's slight. I heard him compared to Shaun Livingston over the weekend. Now, I don't think he's that bad, but he's a little soft. And isn't good when you are on a Rick Barnes coached team. In fact, I think everyone on the 'horns is soft with the exception of PJ Tucker and Brad Buckman.

Aldridge needs another year in college to bulk up, but I don't think he's going to stay.