Official NBA Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 01:56 PM)
Aldridge would be ideal. Ronnie Brewer might be another interesting pick. He's got the body of a small forward but has the athleticism to play 2 guard, and is even a good enough ballhandler to occasionally play PG.

He just shoots funny because of an injury when he was a kid... he will always look goofy. But it doesn't help his stock any that he is shooting the worst percentage in his three year career in college. Also his defense is just awful, and anyone that watches him knows that. His steals mean nothing... most reports of him look like this on defense.

As bad as you'll see. Hands constantly at his side. Instead of denying his man, Brewer prefers to slap at the ball and go for cheap steals. Doesn't move his feet and gets caught watching the action consistently. Help defense not in his vocabulary.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 02:06 PM)
I'll be the first to admit that I've only seen two Texas games, and not completely, but Aldridge hasn't really stood out.  His numbers aren't eye-popping either.

How's his upside?  Who can he be compared to?  Where's a good place to see some scouting stuff on him?

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/Draft/

http://www.nbadraft.net/

http://www.hoopshype.com/draft.htm

http://probasketball.about.com/od/nbadraft...mockdraft_a.htm

http://www.draftexpress.com/

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=55

Draft express is probally your best bet at this point... they have the most information up out of those.

Edited by q\/\/3r+y

This draft is real bad. Aldridge is most likely the top pick, and he's far from polished. He has the length and the athletecism that scouts drool over, but he's mainly a dunker right now. Other things that bother me are his defensive intensity/shot blocking, and his lack of passing skills. I can see his potential that the scouts love, but he's so raw that it amazes me he's most likely going to be the 1st pick. I see him as a slightly more polished Chris Wilcox coming out.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 03:06 PM)
I'll be the first to admit that I've only seen two Texas games, and not completely, but Aldridge hasn't really stood out.  His numbers aren't eye-popping either.

How's his upside?  Who can he be compared to?  Where's a good place to see some scouting stuff on him?

He's probably not going to stand out too much just watching Texas games because their two guards aren't exactly the greatest playmakers. Also, Tucker seems to get more touches and opportunities (I guess that makes sense since he is an upperclassmen and is pretty effective, but it doesn't make that much sense given Aldridge's talent). You don't get to see him posting up too much, most of his points are dunks or lay ins either in transition or on put backs. He does get the occasional turn around jumper in the post, but it's hard to say how effective he is with it because he doesn't seem to get the ball as much as he should. I thought his numbers are pretty impressive. He's averaging about 16 points and 9 rebounds, with a 61% field goal percentage. He also averages 1.7 steals and 1.9 blocks. He could be averaging more points, but he only gets about 10 shots per game.

I know this probably isn't fair to either player, but the best comparison is probably Amare Stoudemire (the draft tracker on ESPN insider says Chris Bosh, another fairly good comparison at the same point in their development). They're roughly the same size, they're both very atheltic, they both get most of their points on dunks, and neither is the greatest on the ball defender. The one major difference I see right now is Amare has a pretty effective jump hook, which Aldridge doesn't seem to have a go to post move. Stoudemire also seems to be a bit more aggressive offensively, as Aldridge doesn't seem to get the ball as much as he should. As for comparing him to Bosh, I think Chris is a much better jump shooter. With a little more polish he could be a star in the NBA.

His upside is through the roof because of his athleticism, although unless he adds around 20 pounds he's better suited to play PF. He's listed at 6'10" 240 right now, which is actually pretty good when compared to most big men that are coming into the league. He could probably come in right now and average about 8 boards and be a pretty good help defender, averaging somewhere between 1 and 2 blocks per game. His offensive output would largely depend on where he went. In an up-tempo offense, he'd probably average between 10 and 14 points per game as a rookie. In a slower style, it'd probably be more like 8-12 depending on how much he gets the ball.

I can't really help you on getting more info, I'm not too big on reading everyone's detailed scouting reports before the draft. I typically rely on what I've seen and whatever I can get off ESPN (Insider content is a lot more helpful).

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 03:54 PM)
Just based on draft position and such...

Andrea Bargnani=Darko?

It's really hard to get a good feel for the foreigners. A lot of the NBA GM's don't seem to know what they are getting with those guys. It sounds about right though. He listed at 7'0", but only weighs about 225. He's more of the typical jump-shooting Euro without a whole lot of post presence. The Darko comparison might work, although most scouts said that Darko was the most polish guy from over there in some time.

QUOTE(q\/\/3r+y @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 03:36 PM)

Wow, Draft express really seems to be gushing over Aldridge. I don't think they said one negative thing. I don't know how you could say that he is that polished offensively watching him at Texas. I've watched them a couple of times, and I think he took maybe two hook shots and two jumpers. They make him sound like a cross between Kareem and Olajuwon on offense. He's got more talent than most big men that enter the draft, but he isn't THAT good yet.

Edit- Nevermind, didn't click on weaknesses. Still, I don't think he's as polished as they make him sound.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 01:05 PM)
Wow, Draft express really seems to be gushing over Aldridge. I don't think they said one negative thing. I don't know how you could say that he is that polished offensively watching him at Texas. I've watched them a couple of times, and I think he took maybe two hook shots and two jumpers. They make him sound like a cross between Kareem and Olajuwon on offense. He's got more talent than most big men that enter the draft, but he isn't THAT good yet.

Even if he isn't "That" good...I think the best team in the NBA right now has managed to assemble itself out of parts that are all very good, but none of them amazingly spectacular.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 03:00 PM)
It's really hard to get a good feel for the foreigners. A lot of the NBA GM's don't seem to know what they are getting with those guys. It sounds about right though. He listed at 7'0", but only weighs about 225. He's more of the typical jump-shooting Euro without a whole lot of post presence. The Darko comparison might work, although most scouts said that Darko was the most polish guy from over there in some time.

He got very unlucky in many aspects. Coming out in the year he did is one, another is having the pistons draft him... they were just too star studded for him to get any sort of substantial playing time, and larry brown helps no one.

QUOTE(q\/\/3r+y @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 04:16 PM)
He got very unlucky in many aspects. Coming out in the year he did is one, another is having the pistons draft him... they were just too star studded for him to get any sort of substantial playing time, and larry brown helps no one.

Agreed on all points. I don't think he's really gotten a fair shot yet. If he went to a team where he had a shot to play he'd be a different player. I get the impression that he kicks some ass in practice but doesn't really get a chance in games. It'll be interesting to see if another team makes a monster contract offer when he becomes a restricted FA based on his potential.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 11:27 AM)
Tim Thomas would of been included.

TT straight up for Kenyon and Nene. See if they bite. They seem pretty desperate to unload Kenyon's contract and it would give the Bulls two quality bigs. I have no idea if either team would do it and obviously it depends on how desperate Denver is to dump that contract.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 05:11 PM)
TT straight up for Kenyon and Nene.  See if they bite.  They seem pretty desperate to unload Kenyon's contract and it would give the Bulls two quality bigs.  I have no idea if either team would do it and obviously it depends on how desperate Denver is to dump that contract.

Unless Isiah Thomas becomes the Denver gm in the next couple days, that deal ain't happenin.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 06:33 PM)
Dwight Howard after 1 quarter vs. the Pistons. 7 points and 12 rebounds. That's gotta be a record or something for most boards in a quarter this year.

Impressive. On a totally unrelated note, Stephen A. Smith is very, very f***in annoying. I feel bad for Anthony and Legler who are pretty good analysts imo for having to work with this guy.

Edited by Rowand44

Hedo Turkoglu just threw 3 bad passes in a row, on Orlando's last 3 possesions. He's not a starting small forward in this league. He needs to start coming back off the bench ASAP.

And wouldn't u know it, soon as I say that, he gets a steal of his own, and scores an easy deuce. :bang

Oh please god let this happen;

ORLANDO - The Orlando Magic have made inquiries into possibly trading for Detroit Pistons reserve power forward Darko Milicic and point guard Carlos Arroyo, but assistant general manager Otis Smith said no deal is imminent.

The Magic could be offering reserve center Kelvin Cato, who has played just 23 games this season because of ankle, foot and shoulder injuries. The 6-foot-11, 275-pound center hasn't played since Jan. 18 after spraining his ankle. Cato has a cracked bone in his right foot and isn't expected to play until after the All-Star break.

If healthy, Cato could give the Pistons another center for the playoffs against possible foes Shaquille O'Neal, Tim Duncan and Zydrunas Ilgauskas.

Detroit might be willing to make Milicic, 20, available considering the tremendously disappointing start to his career. He was the second overall choice of the 2003 NBA Draft -- ahead of Carmelo Anthony, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and Kirk Hinrich -- but has played sparingly the past three seasons, scoring just 152 points in 95 games.

He's played a total of 137 minutes in 24 games this season.

Arroyo is expendable now that Lindsey Hunter is back after missing the first three months of the season with surgery on his left ankle.

"We've talked with them, but we've talked to a lot of teams," Smith said. "I still like the team that we've assembled, but we just haven't been able to see it together because of injuries. So we're having to look at some different things. You can't just be stagnant. Like they say, if you're not getting better, you're getting worse."

I've heard rumors where we may have to give up a 1st round pick as well. So long as it's protected (GM school 101 that Mr. Thomas didn't take), I'd possibly be willin to do it. Wouldn't like to, but if that's what it takes to get Darko, do it.

Oh and Otis, quit with the injuries excuse. It's getting old already.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)

Edit- Nevermind, didn't click on weaknesses. Still, I don't think he's as polished as they make him sound.

I think he is. And I think he's a cross between Jermaine O'Neal and Chris Bosh. He has a nice hook and is great with footwork in the post, that's why he was thinking about making the jump straight from high school, but he wanted to be a sure-fire top pick. Last year he suffered some type of injury so this is his first real year.

The reason why you don't get to see his array of moves is because their guards are huge ballhogs who will never give him the ball. Gibson especially is overrated because of the points he puts up, but they'll never pass the ball to the open man and Texas coach doesn't really care. He was leading the nation for some time in points per touch. I don't know if he's number 1 for anymore though.

Without a doubt, the Bulls current board should be:

1)Aldridge

2)Gay - Have to trade Deng in this instance IMO

3)Trade.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 06:06 PM)
Did anyone see that 360 in the air layup Wade pulled off in the first quarter?  That was an amazing move.  You'll see it on SC tonight, that I guarantee.

Yep, great play. However, only his 2nd best of the game IMO....he had an up and under scoop shot he made late in the 4th that was even better.