Official NBA Discussion Thread

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 06:51 AM)
I can't even watch the Bulls anymore....between our midget "bigs" and blowing leads, it makes me want to poke my eye out with a piece of sharp glass.

Ive given up on the season... when i watch its to see Deng moreso than anyone else.... Although im really looking forward to next season. Nazr Mohammed, Al Harrington, Rudy Gay, some tall guy I can only hope. Hell the worse the Bulls are better the draft pick :P

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Spiff @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 07:03 PM)
People make fun of the Atlantic division, at least they have 2 teams .500 or better.  Look at the Northwest.

Minnesota 14-14

Utah 15-16

Denver 15-17

Seattle 13-17

Portland 10-20

Minnesota are so desperate for Ron Artest right now it's quite hilarious. They've basically become a 2 man team, and KG's patience has gotta be wearing thin. Now there's a scenario to dream over Bulls fans.

No doubt Denver is easily the best team in that division talent wise. They just need to get a good perimeter shooting SG and a big who'll actually play some defense besides Marcus Camby.

QUOTE(Spiff @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 08:03 AM)
People make fun of the Atlantic division, at least they have 2 teams .500 or better.  Look at the Northwest.

Minnesota 14-14

Utah 15-16

Denver 15-17

Seattle 13-17

Portland 10-20

Yep, that's pretty sad. Denver would have been great if not for all of the injuries. Utah is 13-8 with Andrei Kirilenko, and 2-8 without him. If that guy could stay healthy and they could actually surround him with more than just a couple of good players, that team would be dangerous, especially with Sloan running the show.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 08:14 PM)
Man, that was FAST.

Yeah, tell me about it. The two gigantic raw motherf***ers (Robert Swift and Johan Petro) are getting absolutely no playing time. They needed to bring in some big men who could contribute right now, so in retrospect, those were probably stupid picks. A lot of people are high on Swift, though.

Ridnour/Allen/Lewis make up a nice 1-2-3 combo, albeit a defensively challenged one. Vladimir Radmanovic is a good source of offense off the bench, but he can't play any defense either. Combine all of this with the fact that they have one of the worst defensive frontcourts in the NBA, and you have a team that ain't going anywhere in a hurry.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 03:53 PM)
Yeah, tell me about it.  The two gigantic raw motherf***ers (Robert Swift and Johan Petro) are getting absolutely no playing time.  They needed to bring in some big men who could contribute right now, so in retrospect, those were probably stupid picks.  A lot of people are high on Swift, though.

Ridnour/Allen/Lewis make up a nice 1-2-3 combo, albeit a defensively challenged one.  Vladimir Radmanovic is a good source of offense off the bench, but he can't play any defense either.  Combine all of this with the fact that they have one of the worst defensive frontcourts in the NBA, and you have a team that ain't going anywhere in a hurry.

The writing was on the wall for a while with this one. Management aint happy about such a slow start after they started last year 17-3 or whatever with basically the same team. But Radmanovic is not happy with his contract, he thinks their offer was too low, he's gonna be a free agent and he thinks they're tryin to sabotage his value.

I really wanna like Ridnour but they miss Antonio Daniels bad. Ridnour makes a lot of bad passes and he can't really shoot that well. Lewis is the real key, when he's on they can be a force. Petro was starting and playing a decent amount early on, but he is just so young he was making mistakes and especially getting in foul trouble. But he's really talented so maybe once they're totally out of it he'll play.

As far as defensive frontcourts, I like Evans and Fortson; they can defend and rebound but Fortson also gets in wicked foul trouble all the time.

Overall though, giving up 105 ppg no that won't get you very far.

Orlando showed something against the Pistons today, they'll be around for a playoff spot I'm pretty confident of that. But to move to the next level, they just simply have to trade Steve Franchise and get a better passing and defending PG in there. I think Keyon Dooling could be that guy, so I'd be willing to trade for a good young big right now in exchange for Francis.

And if Grant Hill retires, we're going to be MAJOR players in free agency. I can see us targeting Al Harrington to fill the Hill void.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 08:22 PM)
well I hope Hill doesnt retire than because im hoping the bulls can land Al Harrington and Nazr Mohammed... dont want your team with him  :fight

There was an internet rumor going around tonight about a Cato for Donyell Marshall trade. We'd probably have to throw in a pick, but I'd definitely do it. Marshall's a BIG upgrade on Pat Garrity.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 08:22 PM)
well I hope Hill doesnt retire than because im hoping the bulls can land Al Harrington and Nazr Mohammed... dont want your team with him  :fight

We may target Harrington anyway even if Hill re-signs after reading this, although I'd expect Nene to be our 1st target;

Sources close to Hill say they wouldn't be surprised if he'd play for the Magic for the veteran's minimum (about $1.5 million) to close out his career.

Hill badly wants to play as long as he can and ride shotgun with young Dwight Howard. He was robbed of four prime years by his faulty ankle.

"I really think we're building something here," he said. "I'd like to be there along for the ride.

"I might not get to the mountaintop with them, but at least I'd like to try to help this team go in the right direction and really try to finish what was started. It would be nice to at least see it through, with Dwight, to see how he develops and with guys we have here, to see how it develops."

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 05:26 PM)
Utah is 13-8 with Andrei Kirilenko, and 2-8 without him.  If that guy could stay healthy and they could actually surround him with more than just a couple of good players, that team would be dangerous, especially with Sloan running the show.

Look at Andrei's stats from last night's game against the Lakers:

14 Points

8 Rebounds

9 Assists

6 Steals

7 Blocks

There ain't another player in the league who could put up a statline like that. The Jazz are now 14-8 when Kirilenko plays, and 2-8 without him.

His impact is beyond comprehension.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 01:17 PM)

14 Points

8 Rebounds

9 Assists

6 Steals

7 Blocks

There ain't another player in the league who could put up a statline like that.  The Jazz are now 14-8 when Kirilenko plays, and 2-8 without him.

KG comes to mind.

I have the same message for Kirilenko as a couple of your other favorites, camby and tyson...STAY HEALTHY

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 06:20 PM)
KG comes to mind.

I have the same message for Kirilenko as a couple of your other favorites, camby and tyson...STAY HEALTHY

Yep, that's right. Garnett could also put up a crazy statline like that with more points, more rebounds, less blocks, and way less steals.

For the majority of last season, Garnett was the only non-guard who was Top 25 in assists. That's really like the first thing I'll mention if I'm having a conversation about him with someone. That, or his defensive tenacity.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 10:17 AM)

14 Points

8 Rebounds

9 Assists

6 Steals

7 Blocks

There ain't another player in the league who could put up a statline like that.  The Jazz are now 14-8 when Kirilenko plays, and 2-8 without him.

AK is the freaking man. Such a good all around player. The only problem is he can't stay healthy. However, I'd love to see a guy like that playing SF for the Bulls. Of course we got bigger fish to fry (ie finding some quality bigs).

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 12:17 PM)

14 Points

8 Rebounds

9 Assists

6 Steals

7 Blocks

They would be really good if Carlos Boozer's pussy would ever heal. He's been out for the longest.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 10:38 PM)
They would be really good if Carlos Boozer's pussy would ever heal.  He's been out for the longest.

As soon as he's healthy, Boozer's ass is out of Utah assuming they can find a taker for him. Definitely has burnt some bridges with Sloan and Larry Miller, and I can't say I blame them.

As for teams that will be interested, possibly someone like the Sonics (Radmanovic goes the other way, Flip Murray could also be an option), the Lakers, or even the Cavs again.

QUOTE(Spiff @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 08:52 AM)
The writing was on the wall for a while with this one.  Management aint happy about such a slow start after they started last year 17-3 or whatever with basically the same team.  But Radmanovic is not happy with his contract, he thinks their offer was too low, he's gonna be a free agent and he thinks they're tryin to sabotage his value.

I really wanna like Ridnour but they miss Antonio Daniels bad.  Ridnour makes a lot of bad passes and he can't really shoot that well.  Lewis is the real key, when he's on they can be a force.  Petro was starting and playing a decent amount early on, but he is just so young he was making mistakes and especially getting in foul trouble.  But he's really talented so maybe once they're totally out of it he'll play.

As far as defensive frontcourts, I like Evans and Fortson; they can defend and rebound but Fortson also gets in wicked foul trouble all the time.

Overall though, giving up 105 ppg no that won't get you very far.

Seattle picked up a win, but I don't like Hill not giving any minutes at all to Reggie Evans today. He's been their best big man for the whole season, and a C/PF combo of Petro and Radmanovic ain't gonna get it done.

They've just got to bite the bullet, and give quality minutes to Swift and Petro though. They're not going to be able to trade for a good big, so they might as well develop what they have. Petro is raw as hell, but he's got some excellent tools defensively, and well Swift is liked by a few teams around the league (especially Danny Ainge in Boston).

Good to see Ridnour back at the PG position for Damien Wilkens though. I don't know where Weiss got the logic for that move from.

Reggie Evans led the league in Rebounds Per 48 Minutes last year, but he is one of the least impressive shot-altering PFs in the entire NBA. I'm not going on his 0.2 Blocks per game, either. I've seen him play close to a dozen times, and he just doesn't do much for me outside of the prolific rebounding.

Also, if we're talking about leaping ability, Danny Fortson is one of the absolute worst in the NBA along with some of your major fatasses like Shaq and Sweetney. From what I have observed, he couldn't play defense if his life depended on it. Most scouting reports on him are ripfests. Here's one in particular that I completely agree with:

Fortson is somewhat of a slob.  He plays dirty, is out of shape, and has forgotten how to jump.  He likes to set up next to the basket and wait for cheap rebounds to fall into his hands. 

IIRC, Spiff is a Sonics fan, so maybe he has observed something that I haven't, but I'll have to stand by my assessment that they are about as vulnerable as you can be in the paint when it comes to stopping people. Petro and Swift need like 3 or 4 more years to develop. Seattle is completely f***ed in the short term.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 03:01 PM)
Reggie Evans led the league in Rebounds Per 48 Minutes last year, but he is one of the least impressive shot-altering PFs in the entire NBA.  I'm not going on his 0.2 Blocks per game, either.  I've seen him play close to a dozen times, and he just doesn't do much for me outside of the prolific rebounding.

Also, if we're talking about leaping ability, Danny Fortson is one of the absolute worst in the NBA along with some of your major fatasses like Shaq and Sweetney.  From what I have observed, he couldn't play defense if his life depended on it.  Most scouting reports on him are ripfests.  Here's one in particular that I completely agree with:

IIRC, Spiff is a Sonics fan, so maybe he has observed something that I haven't, but I'll have to stand by my assessment that they are about as vulnerable as you can be in the paint when it comes to stopping people.  Petro and Swift need like 3 or 4 more years to develop.  Seattle is completely f***ed in the short term.

The Sonics are sort my western conference mistress but they're not close to the Celtics in terms of favorite teams. It does mean, however, that I'll watch them whenever they're on ESPN, and I agree that Fortson is somewhat of a lazy player on defense, that's what gets him in trouble. On offense though, I've seen him go after rebounds like crazy, and that gets him in trouble too heh. Setting up near the basket and waiting for rebounds isn't the worst thing in the world, especially if you have in fact forgotten how to jump (which I don't think he has). I still stand by my assertion that Evans is a good player. 7.4 ppg (53% FG pct) and 8.0 rpg in only 23 mins aint bad.