Official NBA Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 04:48 PM)
I'd love to see the Magic make it, I'm rooting for them.

The Jazz are still thereabouts as well William. Big win at Minny today, and you guys are 3 games back of the Lakers and Kings for the 7 and 8 spots. Pretty mixed schedule on the way home though, you'll probably have to win at least 1 at Dallas or at San Antonio to make it.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 12:56 AM)
The Jazz are still thereabouts as well William. Big win at Minny today, and you guys are 3 games back of the Lakers and Kings for the 7 and 8 spots. Pretty mixed schedule on the way home though, you'll probably have to win at least 1 at Dallas or at San Antonio to make it.

haha man it's gonna be a miracle for them to get in the playoffs I think. They can only afford to lose 1 right now I'm thinking.

LMAO, Spiff's going to get a kick out of this;

Cato said he soon plans to hire an agent and expects plenty of interest this summer when he hits the free-agent market.Despite being injury-prone the past two seasons, Cato says he will seek a five-year deal starting at the NBA's mid-level exception (approximately $6 million).

I'm sure Isiah Thomas will give him that though. After all, Jerome James did get that last off-season. :bang

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 09:06 AM)
LMAO, Spiff's going to get a kick out of this;

I'm sure Isiah Thomas will give him that though. After all, Jerome James did get that last off-season.  :bang

I think we all realized that Isiah will give anyone any amount of money.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 09:05 AM)
Bulls vs. Sixers tonight on the West Side.  Win and we're in, and all of a sudden trying to get the #7 or #6 is a legit thought.  Loss and it's a dogfight just to get in.  Pretty big game indeed.

Wow the Bulls lost to Philly and they didn't even have Webber.

Now things get interesting, real interesting.

Boston are 3 games back, and Orlando 3.5 back with about 6-7 games left to play.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 12:19 AM)
Wow the Bulls lost to Philly and they didn't even have Webber.

Now things get interesting, real interesting.

Boston are 3 games back, and Orlando 3.5 back with about 6-7 games left to play.

And both are finished, unless the Bulls and Philly both go 2-4 or worse. :)

But at the same time, the Bulls effort was pathetic tonight, even without Deng. They made things way harder than they had to be.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 04:31 PM)
And both are finished, unless the Bulls and Philly both go 2-4 or worse.  :)

But at the same time, the Bulls effort was pathetic tonight, even without Deng.  They made things way harder than they had to be.

I can see the Bulls beating the Hawks and Raptors, but the other 4 (Nets, Wizards, Heat, Magic) will be tough. 2-4 is very, very possible for them.

76ers should beat the Bobcats, but have 5 tough games. They should take 2-4 if they can get it.

Which means Orlando would have to win 6 to tie (dunno what happens with tie-breaker), or 7 to pass both. They have 7 to play.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 12:42 AM)
I can see the Bulls beating the Hawks and Raptors, but the other 4 (Nets, Wizards, Heat, Magic) will be tough. 2-4 is very, very possible for them.

76ers should beat the Bobcats, but have 5 tough games. They should take 2-4 if they can get it.

Which means Orlando would have to win 6 to tie (dunno what happens with tie-breaker), or 7 to pass both. They have 7 to play.

True, but you still have to play at Miami, San Antonio, and Indiana, as well as home games against desperate Philly and Chicago teams. The next 2 games for you after tomorrow (at home against Atl and Toronto) should be easy wins though.

As for tiebreaker, it's head to head followed by division record if head to head is tied. For example, the Bulls and Philly split their 4 games, so you go to the 2nd tiebreaker, which Philly will have since they are 8-6 (and could finish no worse than 8-8) in the division and the Bulls are all done at 4-12.

As for your Magic, they are 1-2 against the Bulls. If you were to beat the Bulls in the final meeting, it would go to the division tiebreaker, which the Magic would win since you could finish no worse than 7-9 in your division. But a Bulls win gives them the tiebreaker since they would win head to head 3-1, so that's a must win game obviously. With Philly, the Magic have a 2-1 record in head to head. So a win against them gives you the tiebreaker over them with a 3-1 head to head win, but a loss to Philly means it goes to division record. The Magic are 7-7 with games at Miami and vs. Atlanta left (should finish 8-8) while the Sixers are 8-6 and have a home and home with New Jersey left.

Got it? Probably not, but I tried. :lol:

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 06:37 PM)
I like how Dbaho has the thought of bulls and sixers going 2-4 each while the magic will win what 6 games... it aint happening buddy get ready for the off-season lol no playoffs for you.

Hey I've gotta look positive. :lol:

Nobody probably would have given us a chance of beating Dallas and Detroit and we did that. We've got to take that form on the road now, which probably isn't going to happen, but it's still possible.

I think we can beat the Pacers (they're really struggling right now, lost 2 in a row to the Knicks of all team, and apparently Rick Carlisle almost has a player mutiny on his hands there). Miami and San Antonio, we'll be very lucky to win 1, hopefully the Heat will rest Shaq.

The other games I think, if we play the way we have in the last 2 weeks, we should win those.

About the 3rd time I've heard this rumor;

Word out of Orlando is that the Magic might like to trade its lottery draft pick to land a veteran shooting guard, which leads to this logical question: Could they be interested in bringing back the Grizzlies' Mike Miller? Stranger things have happened.

Would still prefer Brandon Roy in the draft though.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 02:03 AM)
True, but you still have to play at Miami, San Antonio, and Indiana, as well as home games against desperate Philly and Chicago teams.  The next 2 games for you after tomorrow (at home against Atl and Toronto) should be easy wins though.

As for tiebreaker, it's head to head followed by division record if head to head is tied.  For example, the Bulls and Philly split their 4 games, so you go to the 2nd tiebreaker, which Philly will have since they are 8-6 (and could finish no worse than 8-8) in the division and the Bulls are all done at 4-12.

As for your Magic, they are 1-2 against the Bulls.  If you were to beat the Bulls in the final meeting, it would go to the division tiebreaker, which the Magic would win since you could finish no worse than 7-9 in your division.  But a Bulls win gives them the tiebreaker since they would win head to head 3-1, so that's a must win game obviously.  With Philly, the Magic have a 2-1 record in head to head.  So a win against them gives you the tiebreaker over them with a 3-1 head to head win, but a loss to Philly means it goes to division record.  The Magic are 7-7 with games at Miami and vs. Atlanta left (should finish 8-8) while the Sixers are 8-6 and have a home and home with New Jersey left.

Got it?  Probably not, but I tried.  :lol:

Actually conference is the tiebreaker, not division record.

Division record would make no sense for teams playing in different divisions.

Scroll down: http://www.nba.com/statistics/playoff_picture.html#tb

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 09:03 AM)
Actually conference is the tiebreaker, not division record.

Division record would make no sense for teams playing in different divisions.

Scroll down: http://www.nba.com/statistics/playoff_picture.html#tb

Damn, thanks for the correction. The AP writer that wrote the thing on the Bulls game should be fired, he said division record is the tiebreaker.

Well in that case, the Bulls have the tiebreaker over Philly, so good news.

We're coming 101, we're coming. :D

HUGE win in Miami today, and we beat em hands down as well. That's 8 of 9 now, and we're 3 games back.

It could come down to the final day when we play Indiana. They are really starting to implode.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 11, 2006 -> 01:50 PM)
Orlando is just on fire, another win tonight in a blowout over Atlanta.  Philly and Indiana also won however, which is bad news for both of us DBAH0

Yep we're still doing our part, 2 1/2 games behind the Bulls now.

But I was banking on Philly losing to Washington. I expect them to finish up on 37 wins now (beating Charlotte). If they happen to win another game on top of that, we'd have to win our last 5 games to tie. Since that includes the Spurs away, I don't know if we can do that.

Still possible though, but we have to win at least 4 out of 5, probably 5.

Oh and Jameer Nelson, how so many teams passed on him, well they're cursing their luck now. And Hedo Turkloglu has thrived in the 2nd half, and has become a pretty damn good offensive SF because he's taking the ball to the hoop more and not settling for the easy jumper.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 11, 2006 -> 03:27 AM)
Yep we're still doing our part, 2 1/2 games behind the Bulls now.

But I was banking on Philly losing to Washington. I expect them to finish up on 37 wins now (beating Charlotte). If they happen to win another game on top of that, we'd have to win our last 5 games to tie. Since that includes the Spurs away, I don't know if we can do that.

Still possible though, but we have to win at least 4 out of 5, probably 5.

Oh and Jameer Nelson, how so many teams passed on him, well they're cursing their luck now. And Hedo Turkloglu has thrived in the 2nd half, and has become a pretty damn good offensive SF because he's taking the ball to the hoop more and not settling for the easy jumper.

He's a very good player, but in reality is a 6' shooting guard. He is developing into a very good player, but nobody is losing sleep over passing over him. Just one of those guys who is overcoming all the things he has going against him, that's all.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 09:44 AM)
He's a very good player, but in reality is a 6' shooting guard.  He is developing into a very good player, but nobody is losing sleep over passing over him.  Just one of those guys who is overcoming all the things he has going against him, that's all.

Still the important thing with him compared with Steve Francis is that he won't turn the ball over a whole lot. I don't think he's going to average more than 5 or 6 assists per game, but he could easily be a 18/6 guy, he's a very good shooter for a PG.

Some important games going on right now. The Bulls are starting to pull away from the Hawks, while the Magic and Raps are tied in the 3rd quarter.

You guys beating the Nets yesterday probably ended our hopes though I'd say.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 06:38 PM)
Still the important thing with him compared with Steve Francis is that he won't turn the ball over a whole lot. I don't think he's going to average more than 5 or 6 assists per game, but he could easily be a 18/6 guy, he's a very good shooter for a PG.

And he's not a douche bag.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 10:40 AM)
And he's not a douche bag.

Absolutely. I don't think Francis is ever going to be the same player again, unless he can play in an uptempo offense that suits his style. The thing is, not many teams play that anymore.

I don't think the Magic are ever going to offer max money to a guy unless he's got great character and leadership abilities. In other words, not Steve Francis.

Looks like we're done. Have to beat the Spurs tonight in San Antonio to stay alive. Philly beating New Jersey in New Jersey (ugh), and the Bulls winning have probably sealed our fate already though.

Here's an early mock draft as well, Bulls getting Aldridge and Brewer (which I'm sure would be the dream scenario for you guys);

http://www.nbadraft.net/2006mock001.asp

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 04:14 AM)
Looks like we're done. Have to beat the Spurs tonight in San Antonio to stay alive. Philly beating New Jersey in New Jersey (ugh), and the Bulls winning have probably sealed our fate already though.

Here's an early mock draft as well, Bulls getting Aldridge and Brewer (which I'm sure would be the dream scenario for you guys);

http://www.nbadraft.net/2006mock001.asp

I rather have Aldridge and McRoberts.