Official NBA Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Due to increased discomfort over the last couple of weeks, Larry Hughes is scheduled to undergo surgery to repair the broken right middle finger on his right hand. The Cavaliers' guard, who has been trying to play through the injury since the preseason, will be sidelined for the next 6-8 weeks. In 28 games this season, he is averaging 16.2 points, 4.2 rebounds, 3.9 assists and 1.5 steals in 37.5 minutes per contest.

Advice: Hughes inked a five-year, $65 million contract last summer to supply the Cavs with another offensive option to compliment LeBron James. In his absence, Damon Jones and Ira Newble will see more playing time in the Cleveland rotation.

Tough blow for the Cavs.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 09:09 PM)
So I've been saying this would be Milicic's (sp?) breakout year.

All NBA predictions by me suck. 5 ppg woulda been a nice start.

The Pistons want him to assume the starting PF role in 2009 after Rasheed's contract expires. He gets hardly any playing time as it is right now, but he gets to practice with Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace, and Antonio McDyess. I'm assuming that he has been hitting the weightroom something fierce with those three giving him advice.

If McDyess wasn't on the roster, I think that Darko would be getting 10 to 15 minutes per game. As it is now, there really is no opportunity to get him in there unless they are up by like 20+ to start the 4th quarter. If McDyess or Rasheed Wallace were to get injured, Darko would most likely get those 10 to 15 minutes per contest.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 01:53 PM)
The Pistons want him to assume the starting PF role in 2009 after Rasheed's contract expires.  He gets hardly any playing time as it is right now, but he gets to practice with Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace, and Antonio McDyess.  I'm assuming that he has been hitting the weightroom something fierce with those three giving him advice.

If McDyess wasn't on the roster, I think that Darko would be getting 10 to 15 minutes per game.  As it is now, there really is no opportunity to get him in there unless they are up by like 20+ to start the 4th quarter.  If McDyess or Rasheed Wallace were to get injured, Darko would most likely get those 10 to 15 minutes per contest.

Isn't he almost to his restricted FA Year? I can't imagine the Pistons being able to hold onto him if they're not able to give him a shred of playing time.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 04:36 PM)
Isn't he almost to his restricted FA Year?  I can't imagine the Pistons being able to hold onto him if they're not able to give him a shred of playing time.

He is still signed for two or three years and by that time they will likely have playing time to offer him as hammer said. Everyone says he would have been the number one pick in virtually any other year outside of 2003... arguably the best draft ever.

QUOTE(q\/\/3r+y @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 05:39 PM)
He is still signed for two or three years and by that time they will likely have playing time to offer him as hammer said. Everyone says he would have been the number one pick in virtually any other year outside of 2003... arguably the best draft ever.

Do you know which one it is? He came out in the same draft as Kirk, and Hinrich should be a restricted FA in 07, if I understand things correctly.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 08:36 PM)
Do you know which one it is?  He came out in the same draft as Kirk, and Hinrich should be a restricted FA in 07, if I understand things correctly.

In 2007-2008 he has the qualifying offer worth $6,810,302...

QUOTE(Pierzynski 12 @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 10:54 PM)
Bulls finally win.

Tell me about it, this was around the time last year that I believe they pulled the team together and started to make a run, however with all the changes going on and Tyson not playing to his potential all we can hope for is a good draft pick.

But a nice win.

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 11:14 PM)
Tell me about it, this was around the time last year that I believe they pulled the team together and started to make a run, however with all the changes going on and Tyson not playing to his potential all we can hope for is a good draft pick.

But a nice win.

Almost everyone said that we were going to take a step backwards this year after the Curry heart mess, and it seems like they were right. But that doesn't stop us from planning. We've still got a major expiring contract, a big amount of cap room, 3 first round picks coming up in the next 2 years (at least 2 of which should be lottery, and maybe high lottery), and we've got some very good young talent in guys like Deng, Hinrich, and maybe Chandler (if he stays healthy), all of which still have plenty of room for improvement and development as the team grows.

This is a team which is in really, really good shape for the future. Barring any more Curry-sized surprises, in 2 or 3 years, if Pax holds onto everyone or makes smart deals with the guys he does move, this team could be scary good.

This off-season is going to make or break the bulls... we have the money to add 2 players one being a major impact one and the other a good solid contributer like Nazr Mohammed... than will from the looks of it have 2 lottery picks..... If Paxson does things smart... we can be either a serious contender for a long time or be really bad for a long time.

I would also like to know why duhon was benched and ben was inserted in the starting lineup? Ben is horrid and Chris has just become such a good player and could be a starting pg for a lot of teams. Not complaining after tonight's win but it just doesnt make sense to me.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 08:04 AM)
I would also like to know why duhon was benched and ben was inserted in the starting lineup?  Ben is horrid and Chris has just become such a good player and could be a starting pg for a lot of teams.  Not complaining after tonight's win but it just doesnt make sense to me.

because you overate Duhon he prob wouldnt start on almost every other team..... and Gordon has played a lot better as of late passing the ball more on offense, shooting better, and playing better D.

That and Skiles is trying basicly anything and everything looking for something that might work.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 02:59 AM)
because you overate Duhon he prob wouldnt start on almost every other team..... and Gordon has played a lot better as of late passing the ball more on offense, shooting better, and playing better D.

That and Skiles is trying basicly anything and everything looking for something that might work.

Duhon is a 10/6 guy who plays great d and doesn't turn the ball over, there are plenty of teams he'd start for. Ben sucks and shouldn't even be getting playing time and definitely shouldn't be starting.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 07:04 PM)
I would also like to know why duhon was benched and ben was inserted in the starting lineup?  Ben is horrid and Chris has just become such a good player and could be a starting pg for a lot of teams.  Not complaining after tonight's win but it just doesnt make sense to me.

I think Skiles was just trying anything to kick start his team.

I will say this though, Ben Gordon has certainly fallen from grace since he won Rookie of the Year in the eyes of most of the Bulls fans here.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 08:15 PM)
Duhon is a 10/6 guy who plays great d and doesn't turn the ball over, there are plenty of teams he'd start for.  Ben sucks and shouldn't even be getting playing time and definitely shouldn't be starting.

I'd agree with that. I'd much rather have a guy like Duhon starting instead of a Steve Francis who may have better numbers, but doesn't play defense and turns the ball over too much.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 09:17 AM)
I'd agree with that. I'd much rather have a guy like Duhon starting instead of a Steve Francis who may have better numbers, but doesn't play defense and turns the ball over too much.

Now cmon no way in hell would Duhon start over Francis... im not a huge Francis fan but no way he sits over Duhon.

The only other teams Duhon would start on is Toronto, Atlanta, Houstan?, Portland, and Minny.

And I wouldnt guarantee he would start on those teams just the possibility....Im not a Ben Gordon fan always liked Deng more but he has played much better recently and that includes passing and defense.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 08:31 PM)
Now cmon no way in hell would Duhon start over Francis... im not a huge Francis fan but no way he sits over Duhon.

The only other teams Duhon would start on is Toronto, Atlanta, Houstan?, Portland, and Minny.

And I wouldnt guarantee he would start on those teams just the possibility....Im not a Ben Gordon fan always liked Deng more but he has played much better recently and that includes passing and defense.

If you look at Orlando right now, would you say they would be a better team with Chris Duhon playing PG instead of Steve Francis?

I know Francis is "almost" an all - star, but he's never been on a winning team, and he's got Stephon Marbury disease.

FWIW, Duhon wouldn't start over Mike James (been phenomenal last few weeks in Toronto). But I'd say he'd definitely start for the Cavaliers, Memphis and possibly the Lakers (even though Phil likes his big PG's).