Official NBA Discussion Thread

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 11:54 AM)
How would Harrington know?  That would be a really good deal for the Clips, plus Brand and Artest were good friends IIRC.  The Clips could use his toughness.

Harrington and o'neal are best friends and o'neal may have informed him on some rumblings he heard.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 09:54 AM)
How would Harrington know?  That would be a really good deal for the Clips, plus Brand and Artest were good friends IIRC.  The Clips could use his toughness.

It wouldn't be a bad deal for the Pacers either IMO...if they're actually trying to Move Artest, getting a guy like Magette is about as good as they're going to get. With Livingston, Mobely, and Cassel all in their backcourt, they were having trouble finding good ways to use Corey in their rotation earlier this season. Trouble of course is that it seems he's going to be out until probably mid-Feb. with that foot injury.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 10:11 AM)
It wouldn't be a bad deal for the Pacers either IMO...if they're actually trying to Move Artest, getting a guy like Magette is about as good as they're going to get.  With Livingston, Mobely, and Cassel all in their backcourt, they were having trouble finding good ways to use Corey in their rotation earlier this season.  Trouble of course is that it seems he's going to be out until probably mid-Feb. with that foot injury.

Maggette is a good player and it makes some sense, but it still won't give the Pacers immediate help (although once he's back he'll help them). I think if the Clips made that deal, they instantly become my sleeper to win it all (if artest can stay under control).

I don't think the Clips are dangerous now (to win it all) but give them Artest's defensive prowess and ability and I'd be worried about them.

I love Corey Maggette. I went to high school with him and he was a great guy. Smart too. This guy was in NBA shape when he was a sophomore in high school. He once dunked over me in socks. I always wished that the Bulls would draft or trade for him one day.

And you wonder why many think the NBA has fallen off over the years? You've got easily the two best teams in the league going at it tonight in the Pistons and Spurs. These teams have the two best records in the league. They played a grueling 7 game final last season. They've won the last 3 championships overall.

But guess what all the talk is about from ESPN, ESPN NEWS, Around The Horn, etc, etc? Lebron vs Kobe. :headshake

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 07:36 PM)
And you wonder why many think the NBA has fallen off over the years?  You've got easily the two best teams in the league going at it tonight in the Pistons and Spurs.  These teams have the two best records in the league.  They played a grueling 7 game final last season.  They've won the last 3 championships overall. 

But guess what all the talk is about from ESPN,  ESPN NEWS,  Around The Horn,  etc,  etc?  Lebron vs Kobe. :headshake

I got no problem with that, if you're gonna market a game to the average shmuck it's that one.

QUOTE(Spiff @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 07:38 PM)
I got no problem with that, if you're gonna market a game to the average shmuck it's that one.

And when Kobe and Lebron are sittin at home while the Spurs and Pistons are going at it in the finals, those same, as you say, schmuck's, won't be anywhere near a tv. Then people will be wondering why once again the ratings for the finals were so low.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 09:31 AM)
Magic suspend Francis indefinitely..."conduct detrimental to the team."

Yep in the Seattle game, when Hedo got fouled out in the 4th quarter, Brian Hill wanted Francis to come back in, but he refused.

Gotta be the final straw surely. Ship his ass out to a team like Minnesota (Olowokandi and Jaric?), so we can start this rebuilding process around Dwight and Jameer already.

QUOTE(Spiff @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 03:12 AM)
I don't see why you feel the need to whine about something like this.

Any true fan of the game would have a problem with a individual match-up getting 3 times the coverage of a match-up between the two best teams in the league. Notice I said "true" fan. So you probably don't qualify.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 10:21 AM)
Any true fan of the game would have a problem with a individual match-up getting 3 times the coverage of a match-up between the two best teams in the league.  Notice I said "true" fan.  So you probably don't qualify.

So your saying Spiff isnt a "true fan?" Hell id rather see Kobe vs Lebron too so does that mean im not a "true fan"

Wow you really are something :bang

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 05:21 AM)
Any true fan of the game would have a problem with a individual match-up getting 3 times the coverage of a match-up between the two best teams in the league.  Notice I said "true" fan.  So you probably don't qualify.

haha, ok. Maybe it's just the fact that I realize that a) the NBA already gets the second-most coverage to the NFL and b) if people don't watch the finals, it's not because ESPN paid more attention to Kobe vs LeBron in January.

But hey if you wanna sound like an elitist asshole, go right ahead.

Edited by Spiff

Kobe just pisses me off to no end. He's probably my most hated sports superstar in the world today, but that's just me.

It probably depends on what you like watching. A great defensive matchup b/w the Spurs and Pistons, or watching Kobe and Lebron go head to head.

Personally, I'd rather watch Steve Nash and the Phoenix Suns go to work at the moment with that offense of theirs. :lol:

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 07:43 AM)
Kobe just pisses me off to no end. He's probably my most hated sports superstar in the world today, but that's just me.

It probably depends on what you like watching. A great defensive matchup b/w the Spurs and Pistons, or watching Kobe and Lebron go head to head.

Personally, I'd rather watch Steve Nash and the Phoenix Suns go to work at the moment with that offense of theirs.  :lol:

Another basketball pagan! We must repent and beg the almighty J4L for forgiveness and guidance so that we too may find light in only defensive slug-fests, and shun the evil temptations that are the "fast break" and the "three point play"! I only hope it isn't too late! :pray

Hate to change the subject, but Carmen and Silvy were just talking about some reporter (missed the name) that was on Cold Pizza that said the Bulls and Celtics are in serious talks about a trade that could include the following...

Bulls get: Paul Pierce

Celtics get: Ben Gordon, Tim Thomas

OR

Bulls get: Paul Pierce, Ricky Davis

Celtics get: Ben Gordon, Tim Thomas, #1 pick (from Knicks)

Personally, I don't see any of these scenarios happening. Not sure why the Celtics would want anything to do with Tim Thomas, and even Pierce for Gordon straight up would be an absolute steal for the Bulls (not a big Gordon fan).

Carmen and Silvy talked about this for a good 10 minutes, and I still missed on who exactly reported it. Still, if this is legit, where do I sign?

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 05:19 PM)
Bulls get:  Paul Pierce

Celtics get:  Ben Gordon, Tim Thomas

OR

Bulls get:  Paul Pierce, Ricky Davis

Celtics get:  Ben Gordon, Tim Thomas, #1 pick (from Knicks)

No picks involved in that first scenario?

I wish it were that easy. I would have to assume that most GMs outside of Isiah Thomas know that all Ben Gordon can do is shoot, and he can't even do that consistently or intelligently. He brings nothing to the table outside of scoring punch, basically.

Pierce, on the other hand, is an assassin. He can do it all on the offensive end of the court. He can shoot, drive to the basket, pass effectively, etc. I love big scoring SGs. I might even be a Kobe Bryant fan if he wasn't such an asswipe.

The most glaring holes on the Bulls right now are 1) lack of a legitimate center and 2) lack of a legitimate SG. I don't think Paxson has the brains to right this ship. We have a team of PGs, SFs, slow-footed PFs, and Tyson Chandler. Ainge just ain't gonna bail out Jim err John Paxson by sending us Paul Pierce, although that would be lovely!

Edited by hammerhead johnson

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 12:54 PM)

No picks, at least according to Carmen & Silvy's rendition of the report. Although, I think we'd have to add the pick if it had any chance of happening...and I wouldn't have a problem giving it up.

Expiring Contract?

Ah, didn't think about that. Makes some sense now.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 11:54 AM)

I wish it were that easy.  I would have to assume that most GMs outside of Isiah Thomas know that all Ben Gordon can do is shoot, and he can't even do that consistently or intelligently.  He brings nothing to the table outside of scoring punch, basically. 

Pierce, on the other hand, is an assassin.  He can do it all on the offensive end of the court.  He can shoot, drive to the basket, pass effectively, etc.  I love big scoring SGs.  I might even be a Kobe Bryant fan if he wasn't such an asswipe. 

The most glaring holes on the Bulls right now are 1) lack of a legitimate center and 2) lack of a legitimate SG.  I don't think Paxson has the brains to right this ship.  We have a team of PGs, SFs, slow-footed PFs, and Tyson Chandler.  Ainge just ain't gonna bail out Jim err John Paxson by sending us Paul Pierce, although that would be lovely!

Exactly correct. And due to the fact that Hinrich is beginning to really adjust well to playing the point, methinks Ben will be traded. But we need a legit SG BADLY, a 6'5 guy who can shoot it from anywhere and has the size to guard the other teams 2 guard.

And your assesment of the team is accurate, too bad we can't have Pierce....

Well, it appears that this rumor doesn't have much life. During George Offman's scoreboard update, they talked about the rumor and actually played a clip of Paxson's response to it. Pax strongly denied that there were any talks with Boston and sounded quite pissed about the report. Went on to talk about false rumors in general and how they're irresponsible, among other things.