Kyle Orton Appreciation Thread

First of all I hope Grossman can do well. I am not sold on him (he had a 47.1 QB rating) and I don't think he is a great QB but hopefully I am wrong. With that being said you guys need to give it up for Kyle Orton. He had one of the best seasons for a rookie QB. Probably one of the best rookie QB's of all time. I think he has a future with the Bears and he is probably the Bears future QB. He needs to improve on some stuff like adjusting to not taking snaps from a shotgun. He played in a spread offense at Purdue and that is always a big adjustment for QB's like that who are now in the NFL (see Alex Smith). With all that being said give the guy his due instead of trashing him all the time. One more thing that Marv Leavy said that I found interesting. "Kyle Orton's 'management' of the season thus far has saved the Bears's management and their season."

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 25, 2005 -> 02:30 PM)
I am not sold on him (he had a 47.1 QB rating)

So either you didn't watch the game, or you are blind by love of Orton. Did you see how the team played when Grossman came in? They moved the ball.. they flowed together. They scored. In one drive, he did what Orton hadn't done all year.

He had one of the best seasons for a rookie QB. Probably one of the best rookie QB's of all time.

He didn't lose the games, but he didn't do anything to win them either. Far from one of the best seasons for a rookie QB.

I think he has a future with the Bears and he is probably the Bears future QB. 

If this is the case, I'm sad to be a Bears fan..

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 25, 2005 -> 01:30 PM)
First of all I hope Grossman can do well.  I am not sold on him (he had a 47.1 QB rating) and I don't think he is a great QB but hopefully I am wrong.  With that being said you guys need to give it up for Kyle Orton.  He had one of the best seasons for a rookie QB.  Probably one of the best rookie QB's of all time.  I think he has a future with the Bears and he is probably the Bears future QB.  He needs to improve on some stuff like adjusting to not taking snaps from a shotgun.  He played in a spread offense at Purdue and that is always a big adjustment for QB's like that who are now in the NFL (see Alex Smith).  With all that being said give the guy his due instead of trashing him all the time.  One more thing that Marv Leavy said that I found interesting.  "Kyle Orton's 'management' of the season thus far has saved the Bears's management and their season."

Um, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that Grossman is the better QB at least for now.

QUOTE(Felix @ Dec 25, 2005 -> 02:44 PM)
So either you didn't watch the game, or you are blind by love of Orton.  Did you see how the team played when Grossman came in?  They moved the ball.. they flowed together.  They scored.  In one drive, he did what Orton hadn't done all year.

I was going to say the same thing. All you have to do is watch Rex throw a few passes and you will realize he is a better QB. I respect what Orton has done, but he wasn't picked until the 4th round for a reason. Give him a few years and maybe he'll turn out to be a dependable QB (Not a good one.) Rex has pocket presence and get's rid of the ball quickly, I think he has all it takes to be a good QB, the only question is if the injuries have been a fluke or if he truly is fragile.

Edited by TheHawkaroo

BWAHAHAHAHA, after all of this time you are still drunk on the Orton Love. Let's break this down.

One of the best rookie seasons of all time? A 59.9 QB rating constitutes one of the best rookie seasons of all time now does it? Grossman could throw 5 INT's today? Umm yeah ok, they're playing the Green Bay Packers, not the Chicago Bears on defense. But still Orton would probably throw for less than 100 yards (which he did twice in the last 4 weeks) and complete 50% or less of his passes (which he did 4 times in the last 4 games).

Alex Smith plays on the San Francisco 49ers. Their offensive line is TERRIBLE and hardly gives him a chance to make a play. Could you imagine Orton dancing around in the pocket for them?

And let's look back on some QB's who ALL had better rookie season then Orton;

Tom Brady - 86.5 QB rating, 2843 yards.

David Carr - 62.8 QB rating, 2592 yards.

Drew Bledsoe - 65.0 QB rating, 2494 yards.

Kerry Collins - 62.0 QB rating, 2717 yards.

Byron Leftwich - 73.0 QB rating, 2819 yards.

Peyton Manning - 71.2 QB rating, 3739 yards.

Jake Plummer - 73.1 QB rating, 2203 yards.

Ben Roethlisberger - 98.1 QB rating, 2621 yards.

But because Orton won 9 games for the Bears he's great right?

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 25, 2005 -> 01:30 PM)
First of all I hope Grossman can do well.  I am not sold on him (he had a 47.1 QB rating) and I don't think he is a great QB but hopefully I am wrong.  With that being said you guys need to give it up for Kyle Orton.  He had one of the best seasons for a rookie QB.  Probably one of the best rookie QB's of all time.  I think he has a future with the Bears and he is probably the Bears future QB.  He needs to improve on some stuff like adjusting to not taking snaps from a shotgun.  He played in a spread offense at Purdue and that is always a big adjustment for QB's like that who are now in the NFL (see Alex Smith).  With all that being said give the guy his due instead of trashing him all the time.  One more thing that Marv Leavy said that I found interesting.  "Kyle Orton's 'management' of the season thus far has saved the Bears's management and their season."

I'm speechless.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Dec 25, 2005 -> 11:27 PM)
Orton's stats do indeed tell the story.  It tells us that he's horses***.

Orton is horses***.

On a side-note, Muhsin Muhammed sucks ass. Rex Grossman hit him wide open quite a few times, and he dropped at LEAST three balls, including a touchdown. Also, the lone interception Grossman threw came after he hit Moose wide open that would have given them a first down, except Moose dropped it. I like the guy, but he's getting paid way too much to not hall in those passes. This happened to Orton, too.

Grossman looked fantastic today. His arm is sexy as all hell.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Dec 25, 2005 -> 10:57 PM)
Orton is horses***.

On a side-note, Muhsin Muhammed sucks ass.  Rex Grossman hit him wide open quite a few times, and he dropped at LEAST three balls, including a touchdown.  Also, the lone interception Grossman threw came after he hit Moose wide open that would have given them a first down, except Moose dropped it.  I like the guy, but he's getting paid way too much to not hall in those passes.  This happened to Orton, too.

Grossman looked fantastic today.  His arm is sexy as all hell.

I totally agree with you on Moose. The dropped passes are getting very annoying. He better cut that s*** out in the playoffs. We're not going anywhere without Moose.

QUOTE(knightni @ Dec 26, 2005 -> 06:30 PM)
Orton gonna start vs Minny?

I wouldn't think so. Give Rex extra time to get comfortable in the offense.

Although I know 1 person who'll be pulling for him (and is already predicting a 250 YD, 3 TD performance against Minny for one Kyle Orton). ;)

Some of you guys act like you've never seen a rookie qb play before. Grossman is much better right now that's not even a question but every single rookie qb struggles with a few exceptions. DBAHO, I'm not sure if all those stats you threw out there are legit because I know Brady didn't play as a rookie(if he did it was a few games). How many rookies started 14 games out of those guys you threw out there? Also, why not throw out some of the qb ratings of the all time greats such as Elway, Montana, Fouts. Outside a few games, Orton didn't turn the ball over and that's what he was asked to do. Obviously the Bears are a much better team with Rex in there now but it's pretty ridiculous for people to say Orton sucks after his rookie campaign where he won 10 games. This is coming from a non-Bears fan, who couldn't care less about either QB.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 26, 2005 -> 11:50 PM)
Some of you guys act like you've never seen a rookie qb play before.  Grossman is much better right now that's not even a question but every single rookie qb struggles with a few exceptions.    DBAHO, I'm not sure if all those stats you threw out there are legit because I know Brady didn't play as a rookie(if he did it was a few games).  How many rookies started 14 games out of those guys you threw out there?  Also, why not throw out some of the qb ratings of the all time greats such as Elway, Montana, Fouts.  Outside a few games, Orton didn't turn the ball over and that's what he was asked to do.  Obviously the Bears are a much better team with Rex in there now but it's pretty ridiculous for people to say Orton sucks after his rookie campaign where he won 10 games.  This is coming from a non-Bears fan, who couldn't care less about either QB.

On Brady, yeah he only threw 3 passes in his 1st "official" season in the NFL, but then of course the year after he was thrown in when Bledsoe got injured and led them to the superbowl.

Point taken on Elway etc. but c'mon you have to admit those guys had more way more potential and talent at the time then Kyle Orton. Kind of like Alex Smith really (he hasn't a good year but he hasn't been put into a situation to succeed at all).

Orton didn't win those "9" games. The defense and running game of the Bears did. My argument all along was that for the Bears to have a shot at getting thru the NFC and to the Superbowl, they had to make a QB change to Rex. And they did that, and now you can see the results. The defense of the Bears wasn't to their usual level today, but Rex made plays on those deep balls, and you can see how much of a difference it made.

We're just not putting Orton up on a pedestal, and saying he's the greatest rookie QB of all time. Right now, if you were asked who the future QB of the Bears was, you'd have to say Rex Grossman, wouldn't you if he could stay injury free?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 26, 2005 -> 07:12 AM)
On Brady, yeah he only threw 3 passes in his 1st "official" season in the NFL, but then of course the year after he was thrown in when Bledsoe got injured and led them to the superbowl.

Point taken on Elway etc. but c'mon you have to admit those guys had more way more potential and talent at the time then Kyle Orton. Kind of like Alex Smith really (he hasn't a good year but he hasn't been put into a situation to succeed at all).

Orton didn't win those "9" games. The defense and running game of the Bears did. My argument all along was that for the Bears to have a shot at getting thru the NFC and to the Superbowl, they had to make a QB change to Rex. And they did that, and now you can see the results. The defense of the Bears wasn't to their usual level today, but Rex made plays on those deep balls, and you can see how much of a difference it made.

We're just not putting Orton up on a pedestal, and saying he's the greatest rookie QB of all time. Right now, if you were asked who the future QB of the Bears was, you'd have to say Rex Grossman, wouldn't you if he could stay injury free?

Rex is much more talented that isn't even a question in my mind. My only thing here is how some people are just saying Orton completely sucks, you just can't say that after a qb's rookie year. If people are going to give up on him after one season that just isn't very smart cause Orton could become a solid qb. I'm not arguing Rex vs. Orton, Orton just wasnt as bad as some people make him out to be when you compare him to other rookie qb's.

This is hilarious. WSJ waits out my thread until it gets closed so he doesnt have to admit that Grossman is better, then he creates this thread. And I have to think that he created this thread in the hopes that Grossman would have a horrible day yesterday so he could come in here pointing fingers today. Too funny.

"Probably one of the best rookie QB's of all time."

This would be true. If WSJ man-love was what we were basing it on.