Internet Illiterate Mom Fighting Music Industry

Texsox

By JIM FITZGERALD

WHITE PLAINS, New York (AP) - It was Easter Sunday, and Patricia Santangelo was in church with her kids when she says the music recording industry peeked into her computer and decided to take her to court.

Santangelo says she has never downloaded a single song on her computer, but the industry didn't see it that way. The woman from Wappingers Falls, about 80 miles north of New York City, is among the more than 16,000 people who have been sued for allegedly pirating music through file-sharing computer networks.

"I assumed that when I explained to them who I was and that I wasn't a computer downloader, it would just go away," she said in an interview. "I didn't really understand what it all meant. But they just kept insisting on a financial settlement."

The industry is demanding thousands of dollars to settle the case, but Santangelo, unlike the 3,700 defendants who have already settled, says she will stand on principle and fight the lawsuit.

More, much more than this, at the link

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 02:14 AM)
BSA?  Boy Scouts?

Business Software Alliance. They go around and 'audit' companies for software violations. You get a notice that someone squeeled on you, and they threaten you with lawsuits up your ass if you don't let them in, and then even more suits and/or fines if you are discovered to have a copy of any software you can't prove you purchased. But if you had an office with 4 computers, you would need to have purchased one version, or 'seat', for each computer you run it on, or else it is a violation. These guys are far from boy scouts.

http://www.bsa.org/usa/

Edited by EvilMonkey