Sox-Rowand Nugget

AddisonStSox

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 03:07 PM)
I'd say that sounds pretty accurate.  Now, I don't know if this is common procedure or not, but, from what I've heard, the organization went out of their way to tell Aaron that he's not only welcomed back, but, they might try to acquire him sooner rather than later.  Again, this could all just be positive spin for a guy going through a pretty rough time, both in the game of baseball and out.

I just liked hearing the door was open.  If Everett and Alomar are any indication of Kenny bringing back players he feels strongly for, there is no reason to believe Rowand's name won't be brought up given the right situation.

Quick point: He said the same thing to Brook Fordyce when he left for the orioles. He never came back. It makes no sense that Rowand would come back in the near term (this year). After his contract is up and if we don't have a center fielder then I can see it. otherwise lets get back to getting garland outta here.

QUOTE(Felix @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 11:50 AM)
afaik, Sweeney doesn't play CF, and Owens is pretty bad defensively.  Not completely sure about this, but if im right, Rowand wouldn't be a bad addition at all as a fourth OF, or even a starter depending on how Anderson adjusts to the majors.

I never said anything about Sweeney playing CF. He can play RF or LF. I just said he needs to show something in the minors before he lives up to all the hype he got a couple years back.

I think we'll see a big time year out of Ryan though, especialy if he can stay healthy.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 04:02 PM)
I never said anything about Sweeney playing CF.  He can play RF or LF.  I just said he needs to show something in the minors before he lives up to all the hype he got a couple years back. 

I think we'll see a big time year out of Ryan though, especialy if he can stay healthy.

yea, I know. I don't really know what I was getting at :P

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 26, 2005 -> 07:34 PM)
Right now, we still have too damn many outfielders.  I count 6 under our control for 06-07, all but 1 of whom appear ML ready.  (Borch, BA, Owens, Sweeney, Dye, Pods).  We may lose 1 if he doesn't make the team this year, but that still leaves us with 5 guys competing for at most 4 spots.

Maybe 2 years from now I could imagine us actually making a run at ARow.  But right now...well, we have a logjam in the outfield.

Good point, but from Kenny Williams trends, I think he'd be more partial to reacquiring an Aaron Rowand--gritty, productive, team leader--type player than stick through the pains of growing a prospect like Owens, Sweeney or Anderson. I tend to think that if Brian Anderson struggles, Williams just might pull the trigger and drop off a few of those prospects to Philadelphia if there is a chance at getting Rowand back.