How to fix the Bulls?

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 04:04 PM)
As long as Tyson gets 30 to 35 minutes per game, I'll be happy.  None of this 15 to 20 minute crap out of the C slot.  I thought that it was beyond amusing to have a 235 pound dude covering the 340 pound Shaq.  What good can come from that matchup?  Foul trouble, an injury, etc.

Outside of the health issues (which will seem to cause him to not get those numbers that you want consistently), he still needs to bulk up...

I hated Rodman, but I liked his game and luved seeing him on Shaq...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(heirdog @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 02:39 PM)
Could it be that Ben is not being utilized properly?  I mean the guy is very talented and everyone has thought so for a long time (All American, NCAA Champion, 3rd pick, Sixth Man) and now all of a sudden, he sucks.  The guy single handedly won us many games last year...games we had no business winning.  I think that far outweighs games that he may have lost for us...not sure if there were that many because as soon as he messed up slightly, Skiles would pull him.  I think Skiles is the problem with Ben Gordon.  He doesn't give him the freedom.  Iverson gets steals with his quickness and other than that, he is just strictly an offensive player.  Ben should be used similarly.  The guy is like Iverson with less slashing and a better shot.  Quit spotting him up and running him off screens like he is Reggie Miller, put the ball in his hands and let him create. 

I agree though we need some bigs to get some pressure off our only legitimate scorer (Deng and Hinrich are close but not quite elite in this regard)...Gordon.  Curry, while the stats were weak for a big man, commanded a double team that would open up the perimeter.  Now the only people opponents leave open are duhon and nocioni and they are thriving but Deng and Gordon get constant attention.  Draft Aldrige or Andrea Bagnani with the first of the two picks and get another big if possible with the other.  I don't want any part of Morrison...a classic college over-achiever.  In the current NBA, you have to be all of that and have some athleticism (see Kirk Hinrich) as smarts and old-school fundamentals will only get you so far unless you are 7 feet (see Tim Duncan...but he has some athleticism too).

Gordon is not the savior but he is a legitimate scorer that is clutch...not very easy to find in the NBA.  But I hate the way Skiles handles him so I hope Ben is traded if the Bulls intend on misusing him because I would love to see him achieve his full potential.

Gordon won us nothing. If he could make any shots in the first three quarters last year we would have not been in need of fourth quarter heroics. How many games would he be 1-7 or 2-8 going into the fourth quarter? The answer is the majority of the games. Iverson just gets steals because of his speed or because he is one of the best perimeter defenders in the league? Larry huges... now he is just a ball hawk and guards the lanes.

Imo, gordon is a good scorer but not a good shooter.

Edited by qwerty

Do you see what decent big men like Mohammed are getting in the free agent market ? ?

This is the 1st time the Bulls will have some money to spend, and I don't want to spend a large portion of it (possibly 6-7 million at least on a long-term deal) for an average big man.

I'd rather wait, and eventually use that extra money on a good big man or use the cap space in a trade.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 02:22 PM)
The Ben Gordon pick pisses me off to no end.  The fact that we can't put Chandler back at PF is the clincher for me.  I'll give Paxson some credit for finding a few diamonds in the rough (Duhon, Nocioni) and drafting Kirk Hinrich and Luol Deng, but otherwise, I'm not too happy with his overall plan of attack.  I won't even elaborate on Trenton Hassell.  I know that he's a brutal offensive player, but god damn do we need someone who can defend the perimiter.  Wouldn't it be nice if we had someone who could hold Lebron James to 20 as opposed to 35?  As it is now, that guy is gonna singlehandedly beat us 4 times this year.  That's why I root for him to sprain his ankle, as controversial as that might seem.

It seems like our road to victory this year is via the 3 point shot.  That might work in college, but not on the NBA level.  Pax is making Skiles look really bad right now.

There are a lot of dumbass GMs in the NBA.  I'm not saying Paxson is retarded like Isiah Thomas, but I'm pretty f***ing far from impressed right now.

it's a rebuilding year. I'll leave it at that.

Edited by jenksd

Has anyone given any thought, when discussing Paxson, to the fact that one of Pax's biggest scoring threats from last year, and one of his key players, suddenly came down with a totally unexpected heart condition, which dramatically reduced the amount of size and depth we had inside, and may have set us back a full year in building a team?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 03:39 PM)
Has anyone given any thought, when discussing Paxson, to the fact that one of Pax's biggest scoring threats from last year, and one of his key players, suddenly came down with a totally unexpected heart condition, which dramatically reduced the amount of size and depth we had inside, and may have set us back a full year in building a team?

I fully believe curry would have not lasted here past this season either way... healthy or not. Curry did not want to be here and skiles clearly didn't like him. That is a combination that doesn't work very well. Plain and simple paxson needed a back up plan that is not malik allen.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 03:30 PM)
Do you see what decent big men like Mohammed are getting in the free agent market ? ?

This is the 1st time the Bulls will have some money to spend, and I don't want to spend a large portion of it (possibly 6-7 million at least on a long-term deal) for an average big man.

I'd rather wait, and eventually use that extra money on a good big man or use the cap space in a trade.

You can't wait becuase in the summer of 2007, we will have to resign Kirk and give other contracts out which will hit the cap hard. This is the year we spend on FA so that we can go over the NBA's soft cap to resign our own players. We were built for this summer to spend.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)
I fully believe curry would have not lasted here past this season either way... healthy or not. Curry did not want to be here and skiles clearly didn't like him. That is a combination that doesn't work very well. Plain and simple paxson needed a back up plan that is not malik allen.

Well, that's not what I'd consider the biggest problem...if Pax had done a sign and trade with Curry, but the heart condition had never occurred...he'd have been coming off his best season since he was drafted, looking like a near all-star at tiimes in scoring in the paint, and being a big, solid guy. How many teams would have given up a lot more than we gave up to get a guy like that on their team?

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 04:57 PM)
You can't wait becuase in the summer of 2007, we will have to resign Kirk and give other contracts out which will hit the cap hard.  This is the year we spend on FA so that we can go over the NBA's soft cap to resign our own players.  We were built for this summer to spend.

Then they should explore the trade market, whether it's going after Paul Pierce or somebody else.

I don't think the answer is overpaying for an average big man.

To add my 2 cents...I think Stojakovic gets a bad wrap for being clutch. Everyone remembers the airball against the Lakers in the playoffs while he was injured but no one remembers him bringing the Kings back from a 20+ deficit with 2 minutes to go against the Mavericks single-handedly last season (or 2 seasons ago).

Stojakovic would be an excellent option for the Bulls. To be able to have a big lineup like Kirk, Deng, Peja and then have Sweets/Chandler at PF and another guy like Nazr at center, would benefit the Bulls alot. The defense is still there and you improve your bench with 1 of Sweets/Chandler, while you still have Duhon, Pargo, and probably the 2 draft picks. If Ben will be a Bull next season, I don't know. But, IMO, Stojakovic would be a great pickup and would give this team a big offensive boost and give it a better outside game while Nazr would bring more of a low post threat.