History Texts Take Up Clinton Impeachment

Texsox

Link

WASHINGTON - The impeachment of former President Clinton is in a gray area of history, too long ago to be a current event, too recent to be judged in perspective. Yet history is already judging Clinton in the place where millions of students get their information about him _ textbooks.

about f***ing time.

more than that, we need to put in textbooks how jimmy carter was the worst president in this history of this country. what did carter do for us besides a gas shortage and a f***ing-up of a hostage rescue? all we need is another chump in office like him- then the country can collectively grease up and bend over and prepare to get f***ed.

QUOTE(timotime @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 03:33 PM)
about f***ing time.

more than that, we need to put in textbooks how jimmy carter was the worst president in this history of this country. what did carter do for us besides a gas shortage and a f***ing-up of a hostage rescue? all we need is another chump in office like him- then the country can collectively grease up and bend over and prepare to get f***ed.

You certainly have a way with words...

QUOTE(timotime @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 10:33 AM)
about f***ing time.

Let me guess... was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

The gas shortages were in 1973 and 1974. There were however spikes in gas prices.

But we have those now, too.

Carter wasn't the worst president ever. I think that right now James Buchanan would hold that title. The old bastard basically put the country in an unavoidable collision with civil war.

I would also say, no matter where Carter wanks as President, he is easily the greatest Ex-President in my lifetime. No one has done more to help the disadvantaged. While Reagan jetted off to Japan for a $two comma speaking engagement$, Carter would be building homes for the poor.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 04:16 PM)
........and 1979.  Just ask my dad who still b****es and complains about it.

Nuke is correct here, there was another set of shortages in 79...I believe they were caused in large part by the revolution in Iran essentially shutting off that nation's production (correct me if I'm wrong).

Ah alright. I don't know why I forgot about the 79 shortage, but I did.

Carter's presidency is still too fresh to get proper historical perspective I think. It was a failed presidency, but I don't know that it was anywhere close to the worst presidency of our history.

I think we're just now getting to honest assessments of FDR, Truman, Eisenhower and JFK.

We won't have an honest picture of how Bush 43 does for another 30-40 years or so I feel.

We're just starting to get a good focus on Reagan, 18 years on. The hallmark of a President's success is not what he necessarily accomplishes in office, but also what happens one, five, ten, twenty years afterwords as a result of his policies.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 12:58 AM)
We won't have an honest picture of how Bush 43 does for another 30-40 years or so I feel.

We're just starting to get a good focus on Reagan, 18 years on. The hallmark of a President's success is not what he necessarily accomplishes in office, but also what happens one, five, ten, twenty years afterwords as a result of his policies.

Oh, I agree 100%. But boy, the bashers are sure quick to say (our current president) is the "WORST EVER".

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 05:59 PM)
Oh, I agree 100%.  But boy, the bashers are sure quick to say (our current president) is the "WORST EVER".

And there was of course no one who ever said that same thing about Clinton

Today columnist Richard Reeves does an unscientific study that largely proves what we’re all expecting history to tell us: George W. Bush is the worst president ever. (Worse, even, than Buchanan, Reeves proclaims).

So we did a bit of our own unscientific research for a more modern look into Dubbya’s ranking among his immediate predecessors. We ran the following through clip-collecting, catch-all database Nexis.com for mentions of “worst president ever.” Here are the results:

• “George W. Bush” and “worst president ever”: 849

• “George H.W. Bush” and “worst president ever”: 60

• “Bill Clinton” and “worst president ever”: 849

• “Bill Clinton” and “worst president ever” (filtering out George W. Bush): 588

Clearly it looks like the usage of that phrase has become more common in the last few years, but compared to Bush 1, the Clinton Administration saw its usage go through the Roof, and Bush 2 has seen increases beyond that. Some of that, of course, may be the result of the proliferation of Media over the last few years as the internet grows, and there are probably a dozen other things to control for, but people were certainly saying it about Clinton too.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 05:28 PM)
Carter wasn't the worst president ever. I think that right now James Buchanan would hold that title. The old bastard basically put the country in an unavoidable collision with civil war.

I believe and most political science experts agree that the 2 worst presidents are the 2 right before the Civil War Buchanan, Pierce.

Pierce I place even worse because his policies like the Kansas Nebraska act allowed states to choose slavery or not then appoints pro slavery governors, Pierce also used federal troops to enforce pro slavery state laws like the Fugitive slave act which allowed southern soldiers to enter any house and seize any black person they chose.

Buchanan like rex said led the country toward the civil war by first of all thinking this was a state issue. First of all slavery stopped being a state issue long ago and the statement it self is total garbage, the government worked out slavery compromises ever since the constitution was even formed.

So to say that Carter, Clinton, Bush are the worst presidents ever is not accurate at all we won't get a solid perspective for at least 30 years. Carter, Clinton and Bush might all be terrible presidents but they haven't even come close to doing what those fools (Pierce, Buchanan) did.

Edited by BHAMBARONS

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 06:24 AM)
Carter, Clinton and Bush might all be terrible presidents but they haven't even come close to doing what those fools (Pierce, Buchanan) did.

The new rally cry for Democrats:

What about Iraq? Torture? "Illegal" Wiretapping? No substance, just what the "other guy" is doing "wrong".

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 04:32 PM)
I would also say, no matter where Carter wanks as President, he is easily the greatest Ex-President in my lifetime. No one has done more to help the disadvantaged. While Reagan jetted off to Japan for a $two comma speaking engagement$, Carter would be building homes for the poor.

Of course, Carter wasn't in the early stages of Althezimer's disease when he left office. :rolly

Carter was certainly not the worst President ever, but he sort of forgot that he was no longer President once Clinton came into office (North Korea). At least Reagan had an excuse for his poor memory.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 06:32 PM)

Interesting that you mentioned Reagans paid engagements, but not Clintons... That is exactly what he has been doing since he retired, making speeches and getting paid a ton of money to do so.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 04:28 PM)
Interesting that you mentioned Reagans paid engagements, but not Clintons...  That is exactly what he has been doing since he retired, making speeches and getting paid a ton of money to do so.

Yes, so he can pay his legal bills off.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 04:28 PM)
Interesting that you mentioned Reagans paid engagements, but not Clintons...  That is exactly what he has been doing since he retired, making speeches and getting paid a ton of money to do so.

yeah how much did he make for the Tsunami and New Orleans help???

Five Best Presidents

Abraham Lincoln

Franklin Delano Roosevelt

George Washington

Theodore Roosevelt

Harry S. Truman

Five Worst Presidents

James Buchanan

Andrew Johnson

Franklin Pierce

Warren G. Harding

William Henry Harrison

Courtesy: C-SPAN

C-SPAN Survey

of Presidential Leadership

Bill Clinton

Historian Survey Results

Categories Final Score Category Ranking

Public Persuasion 70.3 11

Crisis Leadership 50.5 20

Economic Management 74.0 5

Moral Authority 19.5 41

International Relations 54.3 21

Administrative Skills 56.1 21

Relations with Congress 38.2 36

Vision / Setting an Agenda 48.1 22

Pursued Equal Justice For All 76.7 5

Performance Within Context of Times 51.2 21

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOTAL SCORE 539

OVERALL RANK 21

Jimmy Carter

Historian Survey Results

Public Persuasion 43.3 30

Crisis Leadership 42.3 28

Economic Management 37.0 33

Moral Authority 71.2 10

International Relations 55.8 20

Administrative Skills 51.3 26

Relations with Congress 41.6 33

Vision / Setting an Agenda 48.8 20

Pursued Equal Justice For All 78.2 4

Performance Within Context of Times 48.6 24

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOTAL SCORE 518

OVERALL RANK 22

George Bush

Historian Survey Results

Public Persuasion 51.4 19

Crisis Leadership 67.4 11

Economic Management 46.4 23

Moral Authority 59.8 19

International Relations 70.0 12

Administrative Skills 59.1 16

Relations with Congress 52.6 20

Vision / Setting an Agenda 40.9 28

Pursued Equal Justice For All 47.1 17

Performance Within Context of Times 52.8 20

TOTAL SCORE 548

OVERALL RANK 20

Ronald Reagan

Historian Survey Results

Public Persuasion 91.4 4

Crisis Leadership 63.2 15

Economic Management 48.1 21

Moral Authority 70.0 11

International Relations 68.6 14

Administrative Skills 43.2 32

Relations with Congress 63.5 8

Vision / Setting an Agenda 77.0 8

Pursued Equal Justice For All 41.8 25

Performance Within Context of Times 66.8 12

TOTAL SCORE 634

OVERALL RANK 11

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 04:39 PM)
yeah how much did he make for the Tsunami and New Orleans help???

How dare the immortible BJ Clinton get picked on!! :lol: I'm saying this in jest, because it comes from all sides. It's funny to sit back and watch this.