Rockies interested in Willie Harris

SSH2005

http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_3345986

Call it the fast and the curious.

If Willie Harris joined the Rockies, he would be their quickest player, their top stolen base threat and a rare infielder capable of playing center field on occasion. Colorado has kicked the tires on this human roadster, continuing dialogue with Harris' agent after losing out on Junior Spivey.

Four teams - two each from the National and American leagues - are chasing Harris but he has an affinity for the Rockies.

"He has told me he wants to play for Colorado," agent Daryl Buford said Monday night. "He likes the organization and believes his skill set would match up well there."

Whereas Spivey would have competed for the second-base job with Luis Gonzalez, the Rockies view Harris strictly as a utility player. Gonzalez, his sure-handed versatility notwithstanding, intrigues Colorado as an everyday player capable of belting 15 home runs. Slick-fielding rookie Omar Quintanilla profiles as a utilityman but could benefit from more Triple-A at-bats after hitting just .219 in 39 games.

Harris, 27, batted .256 with the world champion Chicago White Sox. He has played 104 games in center field during his career. The Red Sox are among his suitors. Rockies assistant general manager Bill Geivett said the Rockies still are weighing their interest in Harris.

The Rockies' search for a utility player probably won't include Alex Cintron. The addition of second baseman Orlando Hudson (along with pitcher Miguel Batista) in the Troy Glaus trade, which will be announced today in Toronto, makes it likely Cintron will be dealt, though Arizona is reluctant to move him within the division.

Willie sounds like a great player, in the way they talk him up in that article.

Willie wants to play for the Rockies for a reason. Heh, I like Rotoworld's take:

The Rockies remain interested in free agent Willie Harris, who told his agent that he'd like to join the team.

"He has told me he wants to play for Colorado," agent Daryl Buford said. "He likes the organization and believes his skill set would match up well there." Just go ahead and sub in "Coors Field" for "organization." The Red Sox are also believed to be interested in Harris. The Giants were, but they now have Jose Vizcaino.

Source:  Denver Post

Maybe Willie wants to hit homeruns like Willie Mays Hayes in "Major League II"? :huh :lol:

Edited by SSH2005

This guy is so underated and to compare him to aaron miles is unfair to even willie harris. Going to colorado will make him that much better of a hitter ( and he is really not that bad now... he had one of the best eyes on the sox the last couple years and his defense is very good. It is pretty laughable that when we traded for him the knock on him was whether he would be able to play it well enough defenesively.

I would be shocked if he has anything less than .280 average with a .350+ obp if he gets platooned.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 10:30 AM)
This guy is so underated and to compare him to aaron miles is unfair to even willie harris. Going to colorado will make him that much better of a hitter ( and he is really not that bad now... he had one of the best eyes on the sox the last couple years and his defense is very good. It is pretty laughable that when we traded for him the knock on him was whether he would be able to play it well enough defenesively.

I would be shocked if he has anything less than .280 average with a .350+ obp if he gets platooned.

I agree and if I were a GM in need of a cheap 2nd baseman, I'd go after Willie. He's a far better player than most of the posters here think he is.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 07:29 PM)
Harris is a good player.

Every game he plays you know what you are going to get. He takes pitches, he gets on base, and has above average defensive skills. When you have speed and the 3 latter things, you are going to have a spot on a mlb club.

SB

In the minors, he also had a bit of gap power and (I've read) hit lhp about as well as rhp. It'll be interesting to see if he can reclaim those with more regular playing time. I'm a Harris fan, I hope he gets some decent pt with someone.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 03:07 PM)
Willie sounds like a great player, in the way they talk him up in that article.  I do wish we could have kept him for our bench.

I agree with you Greasy. I liked Willie and his hustle. Can't blame him that he wanted to play more though.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 12:52 PM)
I agree and if I were a GM in need of a cheap 2nd baseman, I'd go after Willie. He's a far better player than most of the posters here think he is.

He could be a much better player.. his attitude gets in the way.

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 03:12 AM)
Willie is certainly a talent. His defense is very good, and his offense is coming around. I hate the fact that he is a smoker, especially since speed is his main asset. Either way, some team will pay little for his services and gain a solid player.

He quit last March.

No real news just this little tidbit of info

Willie Harris - 2B - White Sox

The Rockies are moving closer to signing free agent Willie Harris to a one-year deal.

While reports have the Red Sox interested, there have been no indications that Boston has made a bid. It's unclear whether there's anyone else chasing him. Dec. 29 - 3:20 am et Source: Rocky Mountain News

Willie Harris has agreed in principle on a one-year contract with the Rockies worth around $800,000.

With Coors Field working in Harris' favor, we're predicting a career-high three homers from him next season. He'll serve as a backup for Luis Gonzalez at second base and Cory Sullivan in center field.

Source: Denver Post

:D