The after-effect of the steroid era

Kyyle23

I have been thinking about this alot lately. What are some of the possible after-effects of what was referred to as the "Steroid Era", a period of time in the mid/late 90's that stretched into 2004 in which many offensive numbers were outright obliterated. Im curious to get some feedback of what others think will happen.

I see many league offensive averages dropping, most notably runs per game and batting averages, also number of homeruns hit per game. But I also see other facets of the game being brought back to the forefront, like the ideas that shape "smallball". Stolen bases, sacrifice flies, sac bunts, more strategy brought back to the league(commonly referred to as national league style ball).

This is really an incomplete thought on my part, and I think discussion will probably bring out more points that i have thought of, but cant remember at this time. Thoughts and points are welcome.

I think the White Sox recognized the end of the steroid era and the effect it would have on the game one year before everyone else did. Of course, the White Sox success will open everyone else's eyes. An all around complete game of pitching, speed, defense, power and OBP will be the ticket for the foreseeable future in baseball.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 05:21 PM)
I think the White Sox recognized the end of the steroid era and the effect it would have on the game one year before everyone else did.  Of course, the White Sox success will open everyone else's eyes.  An all around complete game of pitching, speed, defense, power and OBP will be the ticket for the foreseeable future in baseball.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. I think baseball will go back to how it is susposed to be played, not by outslugging the other team.