Assorted family crap

southsider2k5

-For those who have kids, how soon do kids try to start talking. Christmas morning I was changing Madison, and to keep her attention so that she wouldn't squirm too much, I kept talking to her. Mostly I was saying "Hi Madison" repeatedly in a sort of exaggerated fashion to stress each syllabul (sp) and to try to keep her interested. After a few times of saying that she tried her hardest to mimic the facial expressions and got out a "ha" sounding sound. I tried it a few more times, and she kept trying to mimic my exaggerated mouth movements and kept saying the samething. Is 7 weeks early for something like that? To me it wasn't random because I got her to repeat the action a few times.

-My Dad who I haven't talked to but once in the last 11 years (only at my brothers wedding at that) sent the baby a present over with my brother who still talks to him like normal. We opened it while they were there, but I have been having second thoughts about things since then. On one hand I don't want to deprive the kid of a grandparent, but on the other hand, there are some very good reasons that I don't talk to my father, and I don't know if I want her to have to deal with him either. Any advice? I have this overwealming desire to box the stuff he gave her up and send it back.

When I was a baby I kept trying to talk but I didn't know how so I kept opening my mouth and getting really frustrated because nothing would come out according to my mom.

I think if you want your daughter to have a relationship with your grandfather eventually, don't shut him out. But remember that you can control the relationship that your father has with your family. I'd keep the gifts though. Why make a situation worse? If you feel bad about keeping them, donate them to charity or something.

Yes, 7 weeks is too early for her to have developed the skills to comprehend what she was doing. They can "copy" repetition while you have their attention. But she wouldn't continue to do it if you stopped at this point.

Don't take any advice on the stuff with your dad from here to heart - since all the details are not out there (and shouldn't be IMO). You and Ang know best what to do there. You'll make the right choice.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 02:33 PM)
-My Dad who I haven't talked to but once in the last 11 years (only at my brothers wedding at that) sent the baby a present over with my brother who still talks to him like normal.  We opened it while they were there, but I have been having second thoughts about things since then.  On one hand I don't want to deprive the kid of a grandparent, but on the other hand, there are some very good reasons that I don't talk to my father, and I don't know if I want her to have to deal with him either.  Any advice?  I have this overwealming desire to box the stuff he gave her up and send it back.

A jackass is a jackass, regardless of genetics. If your dad did something so bad that you want nothing to do with him, then I wouldn't subject your kid to him either. Just MHO.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 02:37 PM)
When I was a baby I kept trying to talk but I didn't know how so I kept opening my mouth and getting really frustrated because nothing would come out according to my mom.

I think if you want your daughter to have a relationship with your grandfather eventually, don't shut him out. But remember that you can control the relationship that your father has with your family. I'd keep the gifts though. Why make a situation worse? If you feel bad about keeping them, donate them to charity or something.

That's the hard part. I am fine with where I am with him. I made my peace a long time ago with that stuff, I just don't know about it now that my decesions are going to affect the baby. The wife isn't pressuring me either way, as she doesn't feel like it should be up to her, so I am kinda on my own with this one.

As for the gifts my thinking is if I don't want contact with him, I don't want any contact. I don't feel right not talking to the guy, yet still taking stuff for him. I'm not the kind of person who can in good mind take stuff from someone that I have no interest in having any kind of a relationship with. I like the donation idea though, that might just happen.

QUOTE(Steff @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 02:40 PM)
Yes, 7 weeks is too early for her to have developed the skills to comprehend what she was doing. They can "copy" repetition while you have their attention. But she wouldn't continue to do it if you stopped at this point.

Don't take any advice on the stuff with your dad from here to heart - since all the details are not out there (and shouldn't be IMO). You and Ang know best what to do there. You'll make the right choice.

The other thing that makes me think it was a purposeful action is she gets this little giggle that she does already when she is proud of herself. She always does it after she tries to do something that we are trying to get her to do. That's how we can tell the difference when something is done accidentally, or she was really trying to do something. She was definately trying to mimic me, I just don't know what it means.

As for details, all that needs to be said, is there is a boatload of good reasons that it has been this long. Something like that doesn't happen over one incident or overnight. It was a lifetime of reasons.

QUOTE(mreye @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 02:43 PM)
Yes, that's old enough to mimic facial expressions. She smiles when you smile, maybe even sticks out her tongue when you do as well.

She does that with the wife. She will stick her tounge out to immitate the wife when she does it. I was just shocked that she was immitating facial expressions and sounds at 7 weeks, and if it meant she might be trying to communicate already.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 01:52 PM)
She does that with the wife.  She will stick her tounge out to immitate the wife when she does it.  I was just shocked that she was immitating facial expressions and sounds at 7 weeks, and if it meant she might be trying to communicate already.

Duh! You don't think babies communicate? Ever been woken up by a cry?

QUOTE(mreye @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 02:55 PM)
Duh! You don't think babies communicate? Ever been woken up by a cry?

I know that much :bang

I am talking about something that takes a little more skill than a primordial scream. There is a level of skill and coordination that it takes to not only make noise, but to make the facial expressions to go with it.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 01:59 PM)
I know that much :bang

I am talking about something that takes a little more skill than a primordial scream.  There is a level of skill and coordination that it takes to not only make noise, but to make the facial expressions to go with it.

I hear ya. They're amazing, huh?