Bobby Wade "Appreciation" Thread

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

Bobby Wade did not dress for his first game with the Tennessee Titans on Dec. 18, but that had nothing to do with why he went to bed that Sunday night feeling restless.

That was the evening, after all, Bears quarterback Rex Grossman returned to the field for the first time in 15 months against the Falcons in front of a nationally televised audience that included a captivated former teammate.

"I was so excited for Rex and for everyone there that first thing the next morning I had to call 'Moose' (Muhsin Muhammad) and tell him how happy I was for him," said Wade, whom the Bears cut Dec. 13—two days after his 10th fumble of the season. "It felt good to see it come together for them."

Even if Wade still does not entirely understand why he was forced to watch it come together somewhere else, the wide receiver and punt returner cannot help but feel joy for the friends he left behind at Halas Hall.

He called himself "just another excited Bears fan," and enjoyed having the Bears clinch the NFC North title Sunday night as much as any other Christmas present he received. Many fans will define Wade's contributions this season by his eight muffed punt returns, but he contends that would be a mistake.

"I led the league in punt returns for awhile, before I got cut, so it wasn't all bad and I'm proud of what I did in Chicago," said Wade, still fifth in the NFC in punt returns with a 9.6-yard average. "It didn't work out. I was disappointed most with the timing. Now I want to see those guys go to the Super Bowl. I'm going to be there in Chicago, cheering them on to the playoffs."

Wade thought he would be going with them right up until the words came out of Lovie Smith's mouth that he was being cut.

Smith summoned Wade to his office early that Tuesday afternoon, but Wade did not get the message until returning from his weekly appearance at a Chicago area school—a Tuesday ritual in each of the last two seasons. Coach and player finally sat down in Smith's office around 7 p.m., but Wade figured it was to discuss his judgment catching punts or a demotion following another fumble two days earlier in Pittsburgh.

"When I first walked in, I had no idea," Wade said in a phone interview. "He said, 'You know why we brought you here today.' And I said no. I never thought when I was coming in it was about the worst-case scenario."

Then Smith said something about the Bears needing a roster spot. At that point Wade understood his days as a Bear were over, so debating his head coach on the merits of the decision would be futile.

He thanked Smith and shook his hand, went to the offices of offensive coordinator Ron Turner and wide receivers coach Darryl Drake and left the building, bewildered. He still regrets not being able to say goodbye to all his teammates.

"It's confusing," Wade said. "I was the third wide receiver in everybody's eyes but Lovie's. I was No. 3 in camp but had to make the team as a special-teams player? Come on.

"To [smith], he always saw me as the fourth or fifth guy. It didn't matter what the offensive coordinators here thought of me, ultimately it's the head coach's decision and I have to respect that."

Asked if he thought the decision was fair considering the number of fumbles and resulting loss of confidence from the coaching staff, Wade hedged.

"I wish I could tell you I understood it, but I don't think so," he said.

The Titans did not give Wade much time to dwell on his disappointment.

While watching the premiere of "King Kong," the day after he was cut, Wade answered his cell phone. It was his agent informing Wade that Tennessee had claimed him.

"I was unemployed for five hours," he said. "A quick change, but I guess that's the nature of the business."

He was inactive his first game in Tennessee, learning the offense of Titans coordinator Norm Chow, who's familiar with Wade from their shared past in the Pac-10 (Chow coached at USC when Wade attended Arizona). Sunday in a loss to the Dolphins, Wade caught two passes for 14 yards in a role as the slot receiver he has been told will expand next season as the Titans enter a rebuilding phase.

"For me, it could be a better situation than I was in just because I'll get an opportunity here," said Wade, who has caught 12 passes this season after catching 42 in 2004.

He plans to sell his condo in Chicago by March but knows it will be much longer before he severs ties with a community he worked so hard to embrace.

"I loved it there and met so many great people," Wade said. "They deserve a Super Bowl, and this is the year they just might get it."

[email protected]

what kind of personal la-la land was Bobby Wade floating around in? How did he not understand why he got cut, why he wasnt the 3rd WR in Lovie's eyes, why he had to make the team as a special teams player? Its like he doesnt recognize that his punt return yardage doesnt mean s*** if he coughs up the ball at the end of the run.

"I led the league in punt returns for awhile, before I got cut.....

Yay Bobby! You led the league in punt returns after you returned one for a touchdown. Then you preceded to fumble 8 more times, making your touchdown return MOOT. moron. :headshake

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 08:50 AM)
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

what kind of personal la-la land was Bobby Wade floating around in?  How did he not understand why he got cut, why he wasnt the 3rd WR in Lovie's eyes, why he had to make the team as a special teams player?  Its like he doesnt recognize that his punt return yardage doesnt mean s*** if he coughs up the ball at the end of the run. 

Yay Bobby!  You led the league in punt returns after you returned one for a touchdown.  Then you preceded to fumble 8 more times, making your touchdown return MOOT.  moron.  :headshake

At least he doesn't seem to pissed about sucking it up here.

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 12:27 PM)
At least he doesn't seem to pissed about sucking it up here.

I dont really see what he would have to be pissed about. The guy fumbled the first time he touched a ball in a bears uniform, and he never stopped. He knows somewhere in his brain what he did wrong. He just cannot admit it.