Jon Garland signs a 3 year extension

LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 02:20 PM)
True, but if we dont make any more moves, he will throw out of the pen and do some spot starts for players who are injured or tired, its nice to have that insurance

exactly. Plus he probably won't be used as a Setup man or anything like that. I think he will be used like was whenhe came out of the bullpen last year. He will be a long reliever and ready to go into the rotation in case somebody gets hurt.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(GasHeGone @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 03:23 PM)
f*** it...let's trade bmac and count for tejada

Then you put Uribe on the bench?

Trading B-Mac would be the equivalent to the Cubs trading a young Dontrelle Willis - a horrible move!

KW sure has everyone speculating now. I thought Jon was gone for sure, but getting him for 3/29 compared to Burnett 5/55 and Millwood 5/60 looks like a steal.

getting Vazquez does not mean he 100% absolutely has to be a starter. could be a reliever by midyear.... and we'd STILL have better pitching than last year.

if McCarthy is what everyone is so sure he'll be (and fast)... then he'll be the #5. Vazquez to long relief. Ozzie will have no problem making that switch if it makes the team better.

even with this in mind, Vazquez is going to be more reliable for a whole year than the 41-yr old Duque. Viz was loseable, and Young was behind a lot of OFs in the organization. have to like that trade.

i dont read this as pushing Contreras out at all. he doesnt make that much next year, so i believe we'll go into 06 with these 6 guys, and then the year after we'll be prepared for one of them leaving.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE(Princess Dye @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 02:28 PM)
getting Vazquez does not mean he 100% absolutely has to still be a starter by midyear. 

if McCarthy is what everyone is so sure he'll be (and fast)... then he'll be the #5.  Vazquez to long relief.  Ozzie will have no problem making that switch if it makes the team better.

even with this in mind, Vazquez is going to be more reliable for a whole year than the 41-yr old Duque.  Viz was loseable, and Young was behind a lot of OFs in the organization. 

i dont read this as pushing Contreras out at all.  he doesnt make that much next year, so i believe we'll go into 06 with these 6 guys, and then the year after we'll be prepared for one of them leaving.

I don't think we will be seeing Vazquez in long relief. All Vazquez has to do as a 5th starter is have a 4.50 ERA. Keep the team in the game. I think he can do much more though especially with Coop as the pitching coach.

You think they are going to pay Javier Vazquez that much money and cause him to upset the lockerrom by having him as a long reliever. Be serious. Also, we can't trade Garland because who would sign an extension with us if we traded them 5 minutes later. Maybe after this year but not now. Lastly, how does traidng Mac and Count for Tejada solve anything? Then we'd have 4 starters!

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 02:30 PM)
I don't think we will be seeing Vazquez in long relief.  All Vazquez has to do as a 5th starter is have a 4.50 ERA.  Keep the team in the game.  I think he can do much more though especially with Coop as the pitching coach.

I agree and I want to keep Vaz as the 5th starter. I could care less about some prospect right now.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 02:31 PM)
You think they are going to pay Javier Vazquez that much money and cause him to upset the lockerrom by having him as a long reliever. Be serious.

Ozzie would handle that situation, if it had to be done, better than any manager i can think of.

but the point is, our moves have taken out Duque/Vizcaino...and (in whatever roles) brought in McCarthy/Vazquez.

i just dont see how you can't like that 2 for 2 switch. it's totally beyond me.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 02:31 PM)
You think they are going to pay Javier Vazquez that much money and cause him to upset the lockerrom by having him as a long reliever. Be serious. Also, we can't trade Garland because who would sign an extension with us if we traded them 5 minutes later. Maybe after this year but not now. Lastly, how does traidng Mac and Count for Tejada solve anything? Then we'd have 4 starters!

I don't think Contreras and McCarthy are going anywhere.

Kenny did a great job in getting Garland to sign a 3 yr deal. If Jon were to have gone on & post a winning record in 2006 he would have been in line for a $60M/5 yr deal easy.

No matter how you look at this Jon put winning ahead of the bucks. I'm hoping sports writers across the nation take stock of that.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 03:30 PM)
I don't think we will be seeing Vazquez in long relief.  All Vazquez has to do as a 5th starter is have a 4.50 ERA.  Keep the team in the game.  I think he can do much more though especially with Coop as the pitching coach.

Vazquez can do a lot better than that. He had a sub-4.50 in Arizona when he was pissed off on a losing team. The guy has some absolutely filthy stuff. It's not out of the realm of possibilty for him to win 18 with a 3.50 ERA or lower. Frankly he's very similar to Freddy Garcia, who had his own difficulties a couple of years ago, in a pitcher's park none the less. If anything, he has better stuff and can be more of a shutdown pitcher. I really don't see how you can complain about acquiring a guy with his kind of talent, especially when we got him for two spare parts and one good prospect.

Contreras is on the clock. If he signs an extension that will solidify the White Sox rotation through 2007. I think it goes w/out saying Buehrle is going no where. He is a near certainty to sign a long term deal with the White Sox after 2007. He's the heart & soul of the roster right now. Sox fans can't imagine a team without Mark on it & they shouldn't have too.

If Contreras signs expect BMac to be traded. If he doesn't sign expect him to be traded. Talk of moving either of them into the pen is ridiculous because Kenny can trade either of them for a more accomplished reliever & then some to fill that role.

Dude...I moved yesterday and this is the first thing I see on Soxtalk when I set up my wireless network this morning.

AMAZING. I'm so giddy. Great signing by both parties. I'm really glad to have Big Jon back on the southside for a couple more years. Of course, if he doesn't pitch like he did this past season (I think he will) than I think you'll see him dealt since his contract escalates.

However, its really nice to have him back. I have the upmost faith in him and I think we'll see him put up very similar numbers to last year.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 02:42 PM)
221 IP 18 Wins 86 ER 47 BB 3.50 ERA - 26 years old

223.2 IP 21 wins 86 ER 43 BB 3.48 ERA- 32 years old

One of these players just won the Cy Young award, the other just got locked up for below market price.

SF1 this is what I was posting.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 12:43 PM)
The same goes for Vazquez.  The idea of moving an arm at that cost to the pen is ridiculous.  He's definitely going to be in the rotation for the White Sox.

Now I'm happy. We have a pitcher we can move any time (Vazquez or Contreras) to better ourselves in another area. I really have no problem with Bmac pitching out of the pen as long as our plan is to eventually slide him into the rotation.

Plus, considering the workload our guys took, its inevitable that someone goes down (hopefully no one does and if they do it won't be for an extended period of time) but if it happens we have Bmac ready to jump on in.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 12:42 PM)
221 IP 18 Wins 86 ER 47 BB 3.50 ERA - 26 years old

223.2 IP 21 wins 86 ER 43 BB 3.48 ERA- 32 years old

One of these players just won the Cy Young award, the other just got locked up for below market price.

And the below market price one was about 1 home run by Garret Anderson, or 1 or 2 more good games away from making a real challenge for that Cy Young award too.

Oh, and he gets a pretty ring.