Olbermann and MSNBC being smart.

Rex Kickass

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 10:16 AM)
So Air America gets bashed in this thread for selling exactly the same sorts of "Memberships", but then when I try to turn it around and point out how O'Reilly, Limbaugh et al. do exactly the same thing, I get that as a reply.

Air America wants $250 for a freaking bumper sticker, a tote bag, and "special mention." Sorry, but that's pathetic. At least O'Reilly and Rush sell products and services for a reasonable price. And the profits of most of O'Reilly's products go to charity. How much has Air America donated to charity?

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 10:20 AM)
I think Olbermann is smarter than you think.

"Smart" and "informed" are two different things. I never said that Olbermann is dumb. I guess that I just don't care for sportscasters who suddenly think that they're qualified to be political commentators and sound clueless when attempting to do so. I'd much rather listen to someone with actual experience/education in the field (Hannity, O'Reilly, Kasich, Matthews, Scarbrough, etc.).

And although he wears his politics on his sleeve...  His newscast is, in a lot of ways, a throwback to the way news used to be done.

You mean like Walter Cronkite? ;)

Edited by WCSox

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WCSox @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 12:30 PM)
Air America wants $250 for a freaking bumper sticker, a tote bag, and "special mention."  Sorry, but that's pathetic.  At least O'Reilly and Rush sell products and services for a reasonable price.  And the profits of most of O'Reilly's products go to charity.  How much has Air America donated to charity?

They are selling something different than O'Reilly. They are selling passion and ownership in what its fans see as a "movement." You may call it pathetic, I call it - and most bottom line folk in the communications industry see it as "maximizing revenue."

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)
So Air America gets bashed in this thread for selling exactly the same sorts of "Memberships", but then when I try to turn it around and point out how O'Reilly, Limbaugh et al. do exactly the same thing, I get that as a reply.

It seems to me that you bashed O'Reilly, then gave kudos to AA for asking for donations while giving away bumper stickers and stuff as a thank you.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)
They are selling something different than O'Reilly. They are selling passion and ownership in what its fans see as a "movement." You may call it pathetic, I call it - and most bottom line folk in the communications industry see it as "maximizing revenue."

I call it .... eh ... never mind.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 10:30 AM)
It seems to me that you bashed O'Reilly, then gave kudos to AA for asking for donations while giving away bumper stickers and stuff as a thank you.

This discussion of AA Opened with others bashing AA for taking donations. I responded by pointing out that all of the other media guys do almost the same thing - it's just a question of what they're giving away. O'Reilly can do whatever the heck he wants or sell whatever he wants, I could care less. If people are willing to pay that fee, it's a smart business move, and I have no interest in bashing him for it.

But I find it totally contradictory to say that AA is clearly losing money because they're asking for money when guys like O'Reilly, Limbaugh, etc., are all doing the same thing, and that the statement I've been trying to respond to.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 12:34 PM)
This discussion of AA Opened with others bashing AA for taking donations.  I responded by pointing out that all of the other media guys do almost the same thing - it's just a question of what they're giving away.  O'Reilly can do whatever the heck he wants or sell whatever he wants, I could care less.  If people are willing to pay that fee, it's a smart business move, and I have no interest in bashing him for it.

But I find it totally contradictory to say that AA is clearly losing money because they're asking for money when guys like O'Reilly, Limbaugh, etc., are all doing the same thing, and that the statement I've been trying to respond to.

If AA is asking for "donations" they are in serious need of financial help. A conservative offers a service or product for a fee. A liberal sticks his hand out.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 11:11 AM)
Sean Hannity has as much experience as Rush Limbaugh. None.

He hosted a talk show.

Olbermann hosted Sportscenter.

They are both about equally qualified from what I can figure.

Except for the fact that Hannity and Rush have been doing political commentary for a hell of a lot longer than Olbermann. Oh, and they know what they're talking about. That kind of helps.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 11:12 AM)

Thank you for making my point. Air American is making solicitations for donations because they need the money. PBS does the same thing. It's not the same as O'Reilly or Rush selling products on their web site to make extra money. If O'Reilly needed money, why would he give a huge chunk of his profits away to charity?

:rolly Yeah, that's exactly what liberals do.

Honestly, no wonder a lot of people here don't want to talk politics. People whine about there being too many polemics on the board but can't help throwing around crap like that.

And YAS, its not just you.

-Thread moved-

Edited by Rex Kickass

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 10:37 AM)
If AA is asking for "donations" they are in serious need of financial help.  A conservative offers a service or product for a fee.  A liberal sticks his hand out.

1 year of the "Limbaugh Letter" - $34.95, gets 13 issues.

Subscribing as an Air America associate:

*  We'll send you a monthly Associates insider email with the backstage news from our shows and our headquarters.

* When we take Air America Radio on the road, we'll invite you to meet our hosts and progressive leaders in your community.

* And for gifts of $50 and up, we've got FREE STUFF to send you. See the items on the right-hand side of this page.

Free stuff = bumper stickers, tote bag, mention on the air. Pay if you're willing.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 11:34 AM)

Then you simply don't understand the difference between soliciting donations and the sale of a legitimate product or service for a fee.

Air America would have a lot more to offer for $250 than three bumper stickers, a tote bag, and one's name mentioned on the air if they weren't in financial trouble.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 11:46 AM)
I agree, Republicans bashing a business for exploring a revenue stream is absolute hilarity.

Yep, that's almost as funny as you saying that three bumper stickers, a tote bag, and one's name being mentioned on the air is worth $250... and is not a request for a donation, but a legitimate sale of a product. :lol:

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 11:56 AM)
Try paying for a live mention on a national network and see if you get it for less than a grand.

Stern's last show was getting spot rates of 10,000 dollars for a 60 second time period. CBS is obviously cash desperate to ask for that much money for essentially nothing but air.

So, are you trying to compare having one's name mentioned on the air by a radio host vs. getting 60 seconds of air time when you do the talking? :rolly

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 12:06 PM)
You're right, when I was a promotion director at a station with 70,000 listeners in Michigan we only valued the on-air mention at $55.

I guess with 3 million listeners it wouldn't be worth anymore.

I suppose I underestimated how incredibly stupid some people are.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 12:10 PM)
No that's way less than the going rate actually.

If stupid people want to pay $250 just to have their name mentioned on air, that's their business. Similarly, stupid people will also pay $50,000 for a commercialized army vehicle that gets 12 mpg. "Market value" doesn't always translate to "fair price" or "smart way to spend money."

But think what you want, you obviously know what you're talking about. My ten years in the industry means nothing.

Link me to the post where I said that I know more about the radio industry than you. :rolly

QUOTE(WCSox @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 10:30 AM)
I guess that I just don't care for sportscasters who suddenly think that they're qualified to be political commentators and sound clueless when attempting to do so.  I'd much rather listen to someone with actual experience/education in the field (Hannity, O'Reilly, Kasich, Matthews, Scarbrough, etc.).

I loved O'Reilly on Hard Copy. Can't wait for Billy Bush to make the jump to Fox News.