Jose Contreras's Demands

DBAHO

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a picture of Duque and Jose in the paper this morning and it got me thinking what a difference a year makes. Remember last off season how some of the talk was about how the Yankees gave up on them too soon and how much they liked it here and how they fed off of each other and Ozzie, etc. One year and one WS championship later, they might both be gone.

I'm not saying they've been mistreated here, it's just a funny bussines sometimes.

Good luck to Los Cubanos. :cheers

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 08:39 AM)
I'll just go on record with my official stance on the issue right now:

Keep Jose Contreras for the entire 2006 season and give it an honest go with all six starting pitchers on the roster.

What it comes down to is this: if the Sox are looking for a repeat World Championship, a roster with all six starting pitchers--one in which McCarthy once again fills a sixth/spot-starter/long-man role--gives us the best chance.

I completely agree. :cheers

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 10:28 AM)
For the 10 cents its worth.  BRUUUUUUUUUCE Levine stated that there is a lot of interest in Contreras, and that he thought the Phillies had Abreau on the table for Contreras at one point. 

Now conjecture and bulls*** aside, Contreras pitched like a number 1 for the second half of the season and into the playoffs.  A team would give up a lot of this type of pitcher.  If we do dump Contreras and people believe he has finally turned the corner, man if Abreau is on the table, what else is on the table.

I don't know. Would be cool to get a stud in return for Jose but I'm not sure how many teams will give up a lot for a guy who will be a FA after this season. If we can do a sign and trade that's another story.

QUOTE(S720 @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 10:00 AM)
but after hearing that Garland has a no-trade clause on the first year of his extension contract, I just don't know what Kenny is thinking. 

This is the key to that statement. Garland can be traded after next season when he is actually expensive at $10 mill and then $12 mill. This year we will have him at an affordable $7 mill. If he pitches well and we are going for a 3-peat, keep him. If not, then we can still get a lot for a 27-year-old with potential (look at the vazquez deal and while he may have better stuff, he was older). I could see Contreras being signed for 2 yrs, $22 mill with a club and player option in year 3. The club's buyout would be around $6 mill, similar to Frank's, or a salary of $13 mill in yr 3. If he continues to pitch like an ace, its a bargain. His trade value will always be high if we tank and he is an "ace." If not, we only have him for only 2 years. I just think that Ozzie and KW are weary of counting on a young BMac on a world series team. If we were an average team, BMac would be in there but right now, everyone wants to repeat and lock up the best pitching to do so.

I don't think the Count is going anywhere, certainly not for Abreu. While he would be a solid #2 hitter and make our line-up incredible, in essence you are trading Contreras for BMac in your rotation. Duque for Vaz was great but not Contreras for an unproven BMac. BAnderson is a solid defensive OF and we don't expect anything out of him at the plate (probably batting 9th) so I don't think we trade our 2nd half and playoff ace for an expensive player at a position where we need defense above all (and don't tell me about moving Pods to CF :headshake ). If anything, I am a little worried about our pen with an up-and-down Politte, a bad back Hermy, a young Jenks who could become Billy Koch and a bunch of youngsters with only Cotts looking like a young stud reliever.

I love this quote from K-Dub

"I not only wanted to win the World Series, but I wanted to have sustained success. The defeatist attitude that we'll always be Chicago's second team doesn't fly with me,'' he said. "We must win again and then possibly win again after that to change the culture. Jerry has taken on a huge financial gamble to try to win it again. I'm hoping I'm right or someone will have a lot of answering to do -- and that someone will be me.''

And he is like "Jerry is taking the risk, and I am to blame if we fail." That is a true leader.

Last year was the first time since 2003 that Contreras has an ERA below 5!! And he thinks he deserves a raise?? He still has to earn that $8mil/year for those 3 s***ty years.

Sox are going to let him walk after 2006. They have no need to resign him with Cotts and McCarthy waiting in the wings. Plus, how many players have we seen have AWESOME seasons the last year of their contract?? Use him then lose him.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 06:57 AM)
Even if we can't resign him, it might just be wise to hang onto him anyways. You get 1 more season out of him at his best, and then take the 2 draft picks because he'll definitely be a type A FA next off-season, assuming the Sox offer arbitration which they definitely should.

Someone brought up the point that after this season he will not be a FA because he won't have six years of service time. So I think we are required to just straight release him if a new contract isn't agreed upon and no draft picks come our way should he leave.

QUOTE(striker62704 @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 11:06 AM)
Last year was the first time since 2003 that Contreras has an ERA below 5!! And he thinks he deserves a raise?? He still has to earn that $8mil/year for those 3 s***ty years.

Sox are going to let him walk after 2006. They have no need to resign him with Cotts and McCarthy waiting in the wings. Plus, how many players have we seen have AWESOME seasons the last year of their contract?? Use him then lose him.

Three s***ty years? He has been in the league for three years and has had era's of 3.30 ( nine starts... 18 total appearances)... 5.50 era ( was just brutal)... and last years era of 3.61. I see one awful year and two above average years. Ooops.

The biggest problem with Jose is that he will be officially 36 in 2006 & unofficially 38. A 3 yr deal on top of 2006 means he will be earning $11 mil when he turns 41. Kenny can't ignore reality here. Few players can perform at that level at that age. I don't think Jose is one of them.

For the 10 cents its worth.  BRUUUUUUUUUCE Levine stated that there is a lot of interest in Contreras, and that he thought the Phillies had Abreau on the table for Contreras at one point. 

Now conjecture and bulls*** aside, Contreras pitched like a number 1 for the second half of the season and into the playoffs.  A team would give up a lot of this type of pitcher.   If we do dump Contreras and people believe he has finally turned the corner, man if Abreau is on the table, what else is on the table.

I love Contreras but if this is true I would pack Jose's bags and drive him to the airport. I would also live with Podsednik in center field with Anderson backing him up or a platoon of Pods/Anderson in CF.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 08:26 AM)
Garland was going to get $7-8 million in arbitration, so in essence he received a 2 year $22 million extension. Contreras looking for the same money + 1 more year is far from unreasonable. He was the guy starting each playoff series, not Garland.

:gosox2: If it were me I offer Contreras a 3 year deal or 2 years with an option year. He is a good pitcher and would be a big help at trying to repeat :gosox3:

I'd keep Contreras for the entire yr as this World Baseball Classic thing really has me worried about how Buehrle and Garcia will come out of it :unsure:

Wouldn't surprise me if Ozzie gives some spot starts for McCarthy in April for either one if they're not ready....Contreras being there would really help in those early months of the season....

In the rumor mill today & on the pages of Chicago newspapers Jose's demands have re-ignited the Contreras + BMac + Uribe for Tejada + Bedard talks.

Bedard is a promising LH SP 4 yrs away from FA. BMac is a promising RH SP 5 yrs away from FA. The White Sox spent a year on the arbitration clock for 12 GA for BMac in 2005. The O's spent 2 yrs on the arbitration clock for 51 GA for EBed. Bedard is the more accomplished arm but BMac is the more promising one. Bedard would immediately fill the #4 spot for the White Sox.

Now why is this rumor back? Because sports writers are thinking that if the White Sox are considering Contreras + Uribe at a $48M/4 price they should spend that money on Tejada. The White Sox are back at the top of these rumors because the O's don't want Prior & they don't want Clement.

If I were Kenny I'd be working the phones to get Bedard w or w/out Tejada. Again look at the distribution of runs:

> 5 IP: 15 GS, 25 ER 1.67 ER per start

< 6 IP: 9 GS, 38 ER 4.22 ER per start

A rotation of Buerhle, Garcia, Javier, Bedard, & Garland is stronger one featuring either Jose or BMac. Bedard is like a Javier-lite from the left side. This is perfect for both Bedard & Garland. Bedard benefits from following the strikeout King of the staff & what might be the best sinkerball pitcher in the majors benefits from following the slurvy LH.

On the O's side they get a Contreras that has finally reached his potential to serve as the ace of thier staff & a BMac who is likely to fill the number two spot in their rotation. From the O's perspective which is harder to replace? Tejada's offense or Contreras & BMac's arm?

Whether or not this gets done will ultimately depend on what the White Sox can afford dollar wise. It goes without saying the White Sox will be very reluctant to go over the $100 mil mark. Without cash this trade will put them over that mark.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(S720 @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 10:00 AM)
Since you put it this way, for Garland to receive $11 mil per year for 2 years, I think, is a little bit too much.  Why in the world Kenny want to give Garland that much money?  On our pitching staff, Garland is going to be a 4th or 5th starter anyway, and you don't pay the 4th or 5th starting pitcher that much money!

I actually think it's a great deal because it's for fewer years. What free agent is willing to sign a 2-year deal for market price? Look at Millwood, Washburn, AJ Burnett, etc. They all asked for and got 4+ year deals. A team is willing to pay more for less years - see Furcal.

This is a pretty good deal for Jon, too, inasmuch as he will be a free agent when he is 29. Pre-30 pitchers do a lot better on the free agent market in terms of money and length of deals. Contrast Millwood to Burnett; Millwood has had a better career, yet he only got $1 million more per year, and the last year isn't even guaranteed.

In addition, the Sox will have Garland for his 26, 27 and 28 year old seasons. Those are a pitcher's prime years. If Garland is going to have a career year, it's most likely to happen in the next three.

Buehrle is super cheap at $9.5 million in 2007, now. He'll be hard to lock up for less than $12 - $13 per season from 2008-20011.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 02:17 PM)
If I were Kenny I'd be working the phones to get Bedard w or w/out Tejada.  Again look at the distribution of runs:

> 5 IP: 15 GS, 25 ER    1.67 ER per start

This might be just me, but doesn't that make sense? If a pitching is sucking, they aren't going to be in for more than 6 innings. If they are doing well, then yea, they are going to pitch for more than 5 innings. I don't really get what you are trying to show here.

QUOTE(knightni @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 03:23 PM)
Billingsley and Brazoban for Contreras.

That is all.

Boy, that would be pretty nice.

Im not sold on Bedard, he was ok in the first half last year, hasnt really done anything before that, and had TJ surgery. I dont know why everyone keeps asking for him, I would rather have Rich Hill and I hate him.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 02:17 PM)
From the O's perspective which is harder to replace?  Tejada's offense or Contreras & BMac's arm? 

So this would be a better deal for the O's? One guaranteed year from Contreras and B-Mac while you lose Tejada and Bedard. You failed to mention that they would lose Bedard's arm too, and the Sox would lose Uribe's defense.

I just don't see this happening, B-Mac seems to have more potential than Bedard post-injury. If Bedard didn't get injured last year, then this would be a great deal for the Sox, but it is hard to trade two healthy arms for one powerful bat and one questionable arm in terms of injury.

If the O's did this and couldn't sign Count to a new deal, they would only have B-Mac and Uribe in 2007 for Tejada and Bedard.

I say hold Count until ST or the trading deadline, then get some great value for him when teams are most desperate to win now.