The Count's future

sayitaintso

Jose Contreras - S - White Sox

Jose Contreras is believed to want three guaranteed seasons at between $11 million and $12 million per year in a contract extension with the White Sox, so he may be trade bait now.

"We have talked; we have not gotten too far," agent Jaime Torres said. "Jose is interested in staying in Chicago, but the market has been set [this winter]. Jose wants to stay, but it's a business, and we have to make sure his next contract is a good one." The White Sox are content to keep all six of their starters and put Brandon McCarthy into the pen to start the season, but it is a possibility that Contreras will go, perhaps for a reliever and a pitching prospect or two. Dec. 29 - 5:01 am et Source: Chicago Tribune

What do you think will happen with Jose?

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 10:32 AM)
Jose Contreras - S - White Sox 

Jose Contreras is believed to want three guaranteed seasons at between $11 million and $12 million per year in a contract extension with the White Sox, so he may be trade bait now.

"We have talked; we have not gotten too far," agent Jaime Torres said. "Jose is interested in staying in Chicago, but the market has been set [this winter]. Jose wants to stay, but it's a business, and we have to make sure his next contract is a good one." The White Sox are content to keep all six of their starters and put Brandon McCarthy into the pen to start the season, but it is a possibility that Contreras will go, perhaps for a reliever and a pitching prospect or two. Dec. 29 - 5:01 am et Source: Chicago Tribune

What do you think will happen with Jose?

And so it begins, like Chaveztalk, and Griffeytalk, and as recently as Garlandtalk, we are now offically Counttalk.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 06:48 PM)
Why do I have a feeling this will work out almost exactly like it did with Garland?

Big difference is that one agreed to 3/29, while the other wants about 3/39. I think that Contreras will likely get traded now. All along, I thought Garland was the pitcher that would be traded, but now that he's signed, I'll be very shocked if Contreras starts the 2006 season on the Sox.

Big difference is that one agreed to 3/29, while the other wants about 3/39.  I think that Contreras will likely get traded now.  All along, I thought Garland was the pitcher that would be traded, but now that he's signed, I'll be very shocked if Contreras starts the 2006 season on the Sox.

Supposedly, Contreras wants 3-years, $33-$36 million.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...ack=1&cset=true

The Sox and Contreras have sent proposals back and forth for a contract extension but don't appear to be close. Contreras, 34, is believed to want three guaranteed years at between $11 million and $12 million per year, while the White Sox are short on both sides of that.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 02:07 PM)
Big difference is that one agreed to 3/29, while the other wants about 3/39.  I think that Contreras will likely get traded now.  All along, I thought Garland was the pitcher that would be traded, but now that he's signed, I'll be very shocked if Contreras starts the 2006 season on the Sox.

That's all Garland signed for, but I bet he started off asking in the $12 million range. If we can get Count for 3/33, it might happen.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 10:00 PM)
All I can say is that the White Sox better have the money after 2007 to give Buehrle a deal.

If that means not signing Contreras, trade away.

Exactly... we have 5 starters under contract now for not only this year but next year too... I dont want to pay Contreras to have 6 starters and than because of that 11 million not be able to afford Buehrle.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 06:05 PM)
Exactly... we have 5 starters under contract now for not only this year but next year too... I dont want to pay Contreras to have 6 starters and than because of that 11 million not be able to afford Buehrle.

Yeah, having 5 starters locked up thru 2007 makes it hard to believe the Sox will re-sign Contreras at all unless they are willing to deal one of the other SP's. Waiting until ST or until the trading deadline seems to be the best time to find desperate teams.

It seems like Contreras is trying to break the bank since he probably feels that this is his best shot to get a great contract.

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 03:16 PM)
Yeah, having 5 starters locked up thru 2007 makes it hard to believe the Sox will re-sign Contreras at all unless they are willing to deal one of the other SP's.  Waiting until ST or until the trading deadline seems to be the best time to find desperate teams.

It seems like Contreras is trying to break the bank since he probably feels that this is his best shot to get a great contract.

The problem with waiting until the trading deadline to find a desperate team is that the desperate teams may very well be the teams we don't want to help out by giving them a dominant starting pitcher. What do we do if we hold onto him and the best offers come from the Red Sox or the Angels? Do we really want to go into a pennant race and give a dominant starting pitcher to our main opposition in the playoffs?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 06:23 PM)
The problem with waiting until the trading deadline to find a desperate team is that the desperate teams may very well be the teams we don't want to help out by giving them a dominant starting pitcher.  What do we do if we hold onto him and the best offers come from the Red Sox or the Angels?  Do we really want to go into a pennant race and give a dominant starting pitcher to our main opposition in the playoffs?

Thats true, I never really looked at it that way. Obviously we don't want any deals in the AL if possible, and definitely none in the AL Central. So in that case I guess moving him by ST is more realistic. I just find it really hard to believe with the signing of Jon that the Sox are going to keep Contreras. I really thought Garland was gone, but it seems like Jose is now the odd man out. KW really makes the offseasons exciting.

Edited by WinninUgly

I'm sorry to keep bringing up this point, but I find it highly unlikely we trade someone at the deadline. Besides for the Nomar situation, you never see teams that are trying to win actually trade a main contributor at the deadline. Of course, if the Sox choke this year, then we could trade Contreras.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 06:31 PM)
I'm sorry to keep bringing up this point, but I find it highly unlikely we trade someone at the deadline.  Besides for the Nomar situation, you never see teams that are trying to win actually trade a main contributor at the deadline.  Of course, if the Sox choke this year, then we could trade Contreras.

The Sox had a lot of things go right in 2005, but there would have to be a monumental collapse for them not to make the postseason in 2006 with the team that KW is fielding. The only way this would happen is if the pitchers under perform and the team gets hit by the injury bug.

So what are the options for Count? The Sox keep him thru 2006 and let him walk. They re-sign him and trade one of the other SP's, or they move him before ST. Any other scenarios?

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 11:38 PM)
So what are the options for Count?  The Sox keep him thru 2006 and let him walk.  They re-sign him and trade one of the other SP's, or they move him before ST.  Any other scenarios?

After reading what KW said yesterday, and knowing how over-budget the Sox are right now, I think Contreras will be traded in the next month for 2 prospects, with one being a low-level starter, and the other being a near-ready reliever.