The Count's future

sayitaintso

I believe the Count and the Sox will come to an agreement on an extension. Right now all you see is posturing. Once the posturing is over, Jose will accept that he's very happy with Ozzie as his manager and Coop as his pitching coach, and will sign a reasonable deal. It will be for more than Garland got, because there won't be an arbitration-year discount. But it will be very reasonable compared to Burnett's, Millwood's, and Washburn's deals.

I also believe that KW will listen to offers, but that he won't trade any of our big-6 starters before the season starts.

He's right when he says that McCarthy needs to fill out more, and that it wouldn't hurt to phase him in. Going straight to a full season as 5th starter might land him and his skinny frame on the DL.

He's also right to believe that having starting pitching depth may be the best antidote to the Yankees lineup now that it's pretty clear the Yankees are our main rivals for the AL pennant.

As I posted elsewhere, if we are going to trade a starter, the starter to trade may be Vazquez, and the time to trade him would not be now when he's coming off a mediocre year in Arizona, but at the trade deadline, after he regains some of his former Montreal form under Coop's tutelage.

The Count proved very capable as a #1 starter in the playoffs. He's still the guy I would most trust in that role, especially if we were facing the Yankees. I think KW has every intention of re-signing him and keeping him. It is the wise choice.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 01:17 AM)
O' no! VA put some thought into his post! NO!!! WE CANT HAVE THAT ON SOXTALK

VAfan can beat a dead horse, but I dont think what he said in that last post was that off base.

I agree. He stepped totally out of character with that one.

Seems like the Red's might have some interest in Count after they missed out on Morris:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...0388/1071/SPT04

The point here isn't that the Reds should throw money at any starter with a healthy arm.

But if the Chicago White Sox are serious about dealing Jose Contreras, his $8.5 million salary shouldn't prevent the Reds from trying to land him.

After all, that's what Morris turned down.

Any prospects in the Reds system that would be worth it?

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Jan 1, 2006 -> 11:26 PM)
Seems like the Red's might have some interest in Count after they missed out on Morris:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...0388/1071/SPT04

Any prospects in the Reds system that would be worth it?

not really. reds are thin. their best prospects are a-ballers and there aren't that many of them.

Edited by thedoctor