Fan on the field in LA last night?

Steff

This is from the LA Times

Messing with the surging Dodgers these days apparently is risky business for opponents and fans.

Although All-Star closer Eric Gagne delivered another knockout punch Wednesday night in 3-2 victory over the Colorado Rockies, utilityman Jason Romano landed the most stunning blow in a wild ninth inning at Dodger Stadium.

Gagne struck out the side for third time in as many appearances, striking out 10 in a row during that span, while recording his fifth save in six days, 17th in as many chances and 25th in a row since last season.

That typically dominant performance, after Kazuhisa Ishii went six-plus innings, would have highlighted the Dodgers' season-high sixth consecutive victory, but one member of a crowd of 25,332 stupidly got into the act.

As team trainers tended to Gagne, who tried to barehand pinch-hitter Greg Norton's infield single, a fan rushed onto the field and headed toward left fielder Brian Jordan.

alert because of increased incidents of fan violence the last two seasons, Romano rushed toward Jordan and intercepted the fan, punching and body-slamming the man as Dodger security personnel rushed to the scene. The fan, identified by a Dodger spokesman as Oscar Villanueva, 26, was taken into custody and will be charged with trespassing and stopping a major sporting event.

Romano knew what he had to do.

"I saw him coming straight at me, and I didn't know what he was going to do," said Romano, who entered in center field as a defensive replacement in the eighth as Jordan moved to left.

"I saw him raise his hand like he was going to hit [Jordan] in the back, so I just reacted. I hit him pretty good. I got him solid in the chest. I tackled him shoulder to shoulder."

The Dodgers (26-20) received another quality start from Ishii (4-1) in moving a season-high six games above .500.

The left-hander had command problems at times, walking six, but matched his season high with eight strikeouts. He gave up three hits and was charged with two earned runs.

In his first appearance since being activated from the disabled list, reliever Paul Shuey minimized the damage after Ishii walked the Nos. 7 and 8 batters to start the seventh. Ishii received an ovation for his efforts and then Shuey went to work, giving up only one run, which was charged to Ishii.

For a change, the Dodgers provided one of their starters with early support -- and leadoff batter Alex Cora was out front again.

He doubled into the gap in right-center and Paul Lo Duca walked. On third after Green hit into a fielder's choice, Cora scored on Fred McGriff's single through the hole on the right side.

After the Rockies tied the score, 1-1, in the second on Jose Hernandez's leadoff homer, the Dodgers went ahead again, and Green was the catalyst that time.

With one out in the third, he tripled into the right-field corner, the ball eluding right fielder Gabe Kapler.

McGriff walked to put runners on the corners for Jordan, who doubled into the left-field gap to drive in Green and give the Dodgers a 2-1 lead.

Cora made it 3-1 in the fourth with an RBI single.

Afterward, the talk was of the fan on the field and what might have happened.

Kansas City Royal coach Tom Gamboa was attacked last season at Comiskey Park, and umpire Laz Diaz was attacked there again this season.

"If nothing had happened the last year or two, I would have let it go," Romano said. "Knowing what's going on in the world today, I had to react.

"They're going to put me on the [security] staff now. I'm sure the guy was drunk. You don't do that if you're not drunk."

Said Green: "You don't see that often. You fear for Brian's safety."

Anyone know about this? Some water cooler talk, and I can't get on the sports news...

Supposedly he got hurt from being tackled by the CF'er?

hmm, and I was half sorta watching that game..but was channel surfing..can't belive I missed that