PS3 coming out in Spring 06

Pierzynski 12

According to the German website Gamefront.de, Sony chairman and CEO Howard Stringer confirmed the launch plan of the PlayStation 3 for spring of 2006. This date falls considerably earlier than industry analysts expected, though it is inline with Sony's 2005 E3 plan.

The next-generation console is expected to launch in mid-Spring in Japan first, followed by US and Europe later in the year.

http://gamepro.com/sony/ps3/games/news/48553.shtml

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 03:13 PM)
Anyone have/used a PSP? I really like it, thinking about shelling out the 250. Never big into handhelds, but I really like the PSP.

I actually bought a Nintendo DS instead of XMas. PSP's are $400 at the moment down here. I'm thinkin if that comes down to $300, I'll trade in my DS and get a PSP possibly.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 11:32 AM)
I'm not an XBox 360 fan. If I had to chose between XBox and PS3 it rests on a single point. PS3 will play the Nex-Gen DVDs (Blu-Ray) that are capable of High Def.

I'm thinking the ps3 will be the way to go, mainly just because it's coming out later. Usually the system that has more time to adapt to the competition comes out with a better system.

Hopefully sony gets their act together and actually makes these things right, the early PS2's had way too many hardware problems.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 04:59 PM)
Can you pre-order PS3's yet?

I believe you should be able to. I don't know if policies have changed because next-gen systems are becoming insanely popular now, but I reserved my PS2 at least a year in advance, I think it was actually more.

I did that at Gamestop.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 05:01 PM)
I believe you should be able to.  I don't know if policies have changed because next-gen systems are becoming insanely popular now, but I reserved my PS2 at least a year in advance, I think it was actually more.

I did that at Gamestop.

here in peoria they have a reserve list to get on the reserve list....so in other words they call you, telling you that it's ready for reserve.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 12:32 PM)
I'm not an XBox 360 fan. If I had to chose between XBox and PS3 it rests on a single point. PS3 will play the Nex-Gen DVDs (Blu-Ray) that are capable of High Def.

360 only uses regular DVDs but it is still very much capable of producing high definition video. It just requires more discs to store it all.

Also, that March release date may be pushed back. Or this could just be another industry smokescreen although I typically associate those with that other console manufacturer.

Interesting.

With the sales flop of the 360, I'm surprised to see them not wait and take their time. Of course waiting might mean putting it up against Nintendo's Revolution, which Sony seems to be pretty scared of after the DS destroyed Sony's handheld market hopes.

Sony just needs to learn from their mistakes from the PSP, which now seems to be near its death in terms of games. They can't afford to have insanely high development prices(although reports are saying they still do), can't launch with an inane price and they should have some AAA titles available at launch.

Of course I don't even know if it will see a 2006 release date. Various Reports are saying a 2007 release date is very possible after the PS3 developmental units have been found to be severe fire hazards. And by that I mean them randomly bursting into flames.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 08:56 PM)
Of course I don't even know if it will see a 2006 release date. Various Reports are saying a 2007 release date is very possible after the PS3 developmental units have been found to be severe fire hazards. And by that I mean them randomly bursting into flames.

lol...

If nintendo really does stick to their price point of $150, which what I believe I have heard, or *gasp* $99, my decision will be made... :P

$500 is way too steep for me. That's what ps3 will probably be, right?

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 07:56 PM)
Interesting.

With the sales flop of the 360, I'm surprised to see them not wait and take their time. Of course waiting might mean putting it up against Nintendo's Revolution, which Sony seems to be pretty scared of after the DS destroyed Sony's handheld market hopes.

Sony just needs to learn from their mistakes from the PSP, which now seems to be near its death in terms of games. They can't afford to have insanely high development prices(although reports are saying they still do), can't launch with an inane price and they should have some AAA titles available at launch.

:lolhitting

XBox 360 will soon have HD-DVD, if you want it.

Building on Xbox 360 leadership in high-definition experiences, the company announced plans to deliver a new Xbox 360 external HD DVD drive in 2006. The new drive will offer millions of Xbox 360 owners the ability to easily enjoy HD DVD movies and will provide consumers with even more choices for experiencing high-definition content, in either physical or digital form.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2...-04CES06PR.mspx

It will be interesting to see how the cost of XBox 360 + Hard Drive + HD-DVD drive matches up with the PS3 bundle.