M's step up offer to Boston

YASNY

From the Seattle Times:

M's step up their offers to Boston

By Bob Finnigan

Seattle Times staff reporter

According to multiple sources, the Seattle Mariners have increased efforts to build up pitching depth at or near the major-league level.

An East Coast source said the Mariners are offering pitcher Gil Meche as well as center fielder Jeremy Reed, in an effort to obtain one of Boston's prized pitching prospects, Jon Lester (a Puyallup native) or Jonathan Papelbon, in a trade.

Boston began the talks when it became apparent it would lose center fielder Johnny Damon. In its initial inquiry about Reed, Boston was believed to have talked about giving hard-throwing Matt Clement, who will make $19 million over the next two seasons.

Since signing left-hander Jarrod Washburn to a $38 million contract, Seattle has focused on sinker-baller Bronson Arroyo in recent discussions since he made only $1.85 million in 2005 and is arbitration eligible and under club control for three more years.

"It might be tough to get Lester or Papelbon," a National League scout said. "Every team who has talked to the Sox about a deal has asked for one of them."

While the Mariners are said to be more proactive in pushing a trade with Boston, they apparently are down on the Red Sox's dance card.

The Sox, in need of a shortstop as well as a center fielder, are reportedly focused on a multi-player deal with Tampa Bay, trying to land shortstop Julio Lugo and outfielder Joey Gathright.

"Gathright is strictly a defensive guy, real fast but not much with the bat," a scout said. "You can be sure Tampa is trying to get Papelbon or Lester in that deal."

The Sox are also thought to have inquired about obtaining outfielder Coco Crisp from Cleveland, but the Indians are holding off as they try to acquire an outfielder to make Crisp expendable.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 11:37 PM)
Wow, Reed went from The Next Big Thing to trade bait in one year.

The Freddy trade just keeps looking smarter and smarter.

I still think Reed has good long - term value though, especially if he gets out of Safeco Field and to a hitters park. Plus he had a wrist injury that really hurt him hitting wise in 2005, but his defense was better than advertised.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 09:29 AM)
Is Lester the guy the cubs used to have?????  If so Reed for him seems a bit tilted toward Boston.

What isnt tilted towards Boston? I swear they are just as bad as the Yankees in terms of prospect hype and what it generates them in the trade market, and every trade is a fleece to me, I just dont get it. Jeremy Reed and Gil Meche for Jon Lester? Two major leaguers for a minor league prospect. GMAFB. Every trade is like this. Casey Fossum, Brandon Lyon, Jorge De La Rosa and Michael Goss for Curt Schilling. Who? Nobodies. Fossum was already traded to Tampa and has been a dissapointment, Lyon sported a 6.62 ERA last year, De La Rosa was traded to Milwaukee. I just dont get how they pull the wool over everyones eyes.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 09:32 AM)
What isnt tilted towards Boston?   I swear they are just as bad as the Yankees in terms of prospect hype and what it generates them in the trade market, and every trade is a fleece to me, I just dont get it.   Jeremy Reed and Gil Meche for Jon Lester?  Two major leaguers for a minor league prospect.  GMAFB.  Every trade is like this.  Casey Fossum, Brandon Lyon, Jorge De La Rosa and Michael Goss for Curt Schilling.   Who?   Nobodies.   Fossum was already traded to Tampa and has been a dissapointment, Lyon sported a 6.62 ERA last year, De La Rosa was traded to Milwaukee.   I just dont get how they pull the wool over everyones eyes.

i really never understood this, so i think im going to get to the bottom of this now. the red sox prospects are overhyped how?

edit: thinking about it, perhaps the white sox prospects are just as overhyped as the yankees prospects are? i mean the white sox got freddy garcia for jeremy reed, mike morse, and miguel olivo? who? there nobodies...

Edited by redandwhite

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 08:45 PM)
i really never understood this, so i think im going to get to the bottom of this now.  the red sox prospects are overhyped how?

edit:  thinking about it, perhaps the white sox prospects are just as overhyped as the yankees prospects are?  i mean the white sox got freddy garcia for jeremy reed, mike morse, and miguel olivo?  who?  there nobodies...

The Red Sox prospects are overhyped because one of the most visible baseball "experts", Peter Gammons, thinks every guy is going to be a stud. Also, I honestly don't know why you put yourself through some of the arguments you get in on this board. You take things way too personally in regards to the Red Sox. If you want to find a board the praises every player or thing they do, I'm pretty sure there are plenty of Red Sox boards available.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 08:29 AM)
Is Lester the guy the cubs used to have?????  If so Reed for him seems a bit tilted toward Boston.

No, i believe that there are two different people with the exact same name. The one on the cubs was spelled different than the boston guy, but i am going to check to see if i am right.

The guy on the cubs is Leicester, Jon

the red sox one is jon lester

Edited by sayitaintso

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 02:57 PM)
The Red Sox prospects are overhyped because one of the most visible baseball "experts", Peter Gammons, thinks every guy is going to be a stud.  Also, I honestly don't know why you put yourself through some of the arguments you get in on this board.  You take things way too personally in regards to the Red Sox.  If you want to find a board the praises every player or thing they do, I'm pretty sure there are plenty of Red Sox boards available.

whatever unsubstantiated comments Gammons make has very little if any effect on what professional major league franchise will do.

the fact is, national publications such as baseball america etc. have rated the likes of papelbon, lester, and (before he was traded) anibal sanchez as top 20 pitching prospects in all of baseball.

is baseball america overhyping these players? again, i do frequent red sox boards on top of this one, it just boggles the mind at how ridiculous some people are on here when it comes to the red sox.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 03:12 PM)
I dont think people are ridiculous to the Red Sox as a team, but more to you, yourself. You consistently come on this board 1.Looking for a fight. 2. Defending anything and everything your club does 3. Really only post about the Red Sox in the last 3 months or so.

When was the last time you posted more than 5 responses in a thread without getting into a fight or debate?

1. i'm not looking for any fights. im trying to understand where all this hostility comes from towards the red sox and i have never been given a concrete answer. thats to be expected out of the kids like aboz, but to the people i respect like yourself, yasny, jason, etc. here i'm just looking for an answer.

2. i don't defend anything and everything the red sox do or have done. i think i vented on soxtalk when seanez was signed but everything else i've liked a ton, just like i liked the white sox picking up thome and signing garland, etc.

3. this is true, for sure - but mainly because besides some things early on, the white sox have been rather quiet this offseason.

when i get back from my holiday vacation and can post in full rather than only sparingly, i'll be the first to comment in any and all white sox related threads just like i have in the past.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 09:20 PM)
3. this is true, for sure - but mainly because besides some things early on, the white sox have been rather quiet this offseason.

Rather quiet? They've been involved in rumors for a ton of players, and there's been plenty of speculation about trades involving some marquee Sox players also. To say the Sox have been quiet is like saying Paris Hilton's a virgin.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 03:20 PM)
again.. explain.

You're very biased towards the Red Sox and I honestly have no problem with that, that's part of being a fan if you ask me. The thing is though, you're coming onto a White Sox board and doing trying to spread it. Listen r&w, the Red Sox just aren't very liked around here and there are several reasons for that and if you want an answer for that it's mostly because the way espn shoved them down our throats that last few years. Obviously that isn't yours or any other Red Sox fans fault but it gets to become very repetitive and annoying. You're a very intelligent fan but you're not going to get any backing when talking about the Red Sox here because most White Sox fans despise them.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 03:25 PM)
You're very biased towards the Red Sox and I honestly have no problem with that, that's part of being a fan if you ask me.  The thing is though, you're coming onto a White Sox board and doing trying to spread it.  Listen r&w, the Red Sox just aren't very liked around here and there are several reasons for that and if you want an answer for that it's mostly because the way espn shoved them down our throats that last few years.  Obviously that isn't yours or any other Red Sox fans fault but it gets to become very repetitive and annoying.  You're a very intelligent fan but you're not going to get any backing when talking about the Red Sox here because most White Sox fans despise them.

:notworthy

QUOTE(qwerty @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 03:22 PM)
You are a bigger homer than felix and rowand... and trust me that is quite an acomplishment.

"The White Sox won't make the playoffs"--qwerty "Dustin Hermanson just isn't very good"--qwerty "Neal Cotts won't have an era under 4"--qwerty

You're just an anti homer so anything someone says positive about the team you think it's them being a homer. True story.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 03:25 PM)
You're very biased towards the Red Sox and I honestly have no problem with that, that's part of being a fan if you ask me.  The thing is though, you're coming onto a White Sox board and doing trying to spread it.  Listen r&w, the Red Sox just aren't very liked around here and there are several reasons for that and if you want an answer for that it's mostly because the way espn shoved them down our throats that last few years.  Obviously that isn't yours or any other Red Sox fans fault but it gets to become very repetitive and annoying.  You're a very intelligent fan but you're not going to get any backing when talking about the Red Sox here because most White Sox fans despise them.

well said, my friend - any reason why white sox fans perticularly think that red sox prospects are overhyped when the most respected publications like baseball america, etc. are rating these players as high as some red sox publications?

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 03:27 PM)
"The White Sox won't make the playoffs"--qwerty  "Dustin Hermanson just isn't very good"--qwerty  "Neal Cotts won't have an era under 4"--qwerty 

You're just an anti homer so anything someone says positive about the team you think it's them being a homer.  True story.

archived posts are a b****, huh qwert? another great post.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 03:27 PM)
"The White Sox won't make the playoffs"--qwerty  "Dustin Hermanson just isn't very good"--qwerty  "Neal Cotts won't have an era under 4"--qwerty 

You're just an anti homer so anything someone says positive about the team you think it's them being a homer.  True story.

I truly didn't think they would make the playoffs at the time. Hermanson is not a very good pitcher. Sorry. For the 21389237856 slime i have always liked cotts... and was one of his only backers.

You are the definition of a homer... you know it... i know it... everyone knows it.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 03:27 PM)
well said, my friend - any reason why white sox fans perticularly think that red sox prospects are overhyped when the most respected publications like baseball america, etc. are rating these players as high as some red sox publications?

Hanley Ramirez comes to mind to be honest. He's been rated so high for so long it seems and I think a lot of people(myself included) have thought he's been highly overrated forever. He's been hyped and hyped for years and I just don't think he'll be very good. I know that's only one player but he's fresh in everyones memory. I will say I think Pabelbon is going to be a good one not confident in saying that for Sanchez and Lester though.