An early Spring Training Warning

SoxFanInDallas

I was reading the On-line Trib this morning and saw the stories from the various reporters noting their favorites of 2005. And this blurb stuck out:

Second-guessing myself

Underestimating a Sox pitching staff that posted a 5.59 spring training ERA.

By Mark Gonzales

Let's not all get crazy come Spring Training when this team does not look like a World Championship team.

That is all

QUOTE(The Critic @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 09:59 AM)
I was at that final spring training series vs. Milwaukee last year.

They looked like an 85-win team to me.

Spring Training can be very deceiving.

I ain't fallin' for THAT s*** again.....

:D

I was watching those games and thought the same thing. Damn you spring training games!

Yeah, Quickman and JimH laughed at me when I said "This could be our year..." on opening day.

And they said..."Not with the way they played against Milwaukee..."

And guess who proved them wrong, damn wrong. Beastly. :D

QUOTE(The Critic @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 10:59 AM)

Wow, I fogot that I was at one of those games. All I remember is Lee hitting a homer and thinking the Sox were going to need another year to contend. Oops.

QUOTE(G&T @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 05:06 PM)
Wow, I fogot that I was at one of those games. All I remember is Lee hitting a homer and thinking the Sox were going to need another year to contend. Oops.

I remember thinking the Viz was the real deal after seeing him pitch at Miller Park. :lol: But I also thought that Hermanson was the real deal, so that worked out.

No offense critic, they looked a hell of a lot worse then an 85 win team. Like greasy said, ST only matters for the few fighting for roster spots, besides that it's just getting everyone ready and in shape for the season.

Edited by Rowand44

s***, you just know we're gonna be like 5-15 at some point and some poster will say

"This b****ass passionless Sox team has no shot in the division this year! Welcome to 4th place. The Tigers are on fire thus far this spring and they'll end up ahead of us!"

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 04:41 PM)
s***, you just know we're gonna be like 5-15 at some point and some poster will say

"This b****ass passionless Sox team has no shot in the division this year! Welcome to 4th place. The Tigers are on fire thus far this spring and they'll end up ahead of us!"

Wouldn't be SoxTalk without posts like that.

Nomar was hitting like .425 or some s*** last Spring for the Flubs IIRC....came out and hit about .150 the first few weeks of April, then tore his hamstring trying to get out of the batters box on a ground ball.

I hate spring training, I know the players need it, but as a fan, all I see it as is a month of meaningless games and a chance for people to get hurt.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 09:57 PM)
Nomar was hitting like .425 or some s*** last Spring for the Flubs IIRC....came out and hit about .150 the first few weeks of April, then tore his hamstring trying to get out of the batters box on a ground ball.

I hate spring training, I know the players need it, but as a fan, all I see it as is a month of meaningless games and a chance for people to get hurt.

Id rather have a month of meaningless games then no baseball at all.

The only teams that do well in ST are the teams that have a ton of holes or aren't that good. Teams like the Royals will probably do very well in ST. Reason why is because they will be playing at lot more MLB players to try to fix the holes and see which guy should play which position. Teams like the White Sox who don't really have any holes right now will just play their regular players for a couple innings and go straight to the young prospect who could get a look in the middle or end of the season.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 31, 2005 -> 05:20 PM)
The only teams that do well in ST are the teams that have a ton of holes or aren't that good.  Teams like the Royals will probably do very well in ST.  Reason why is because they will be playing at lot more MLB players to try to fix the holes and see which guy should play which position.  Teams like the White Sox who don't really have any holes right now will just play their regular players for a couple innings and go straight to the young prospect who could get a look in the middle or end of the season.

We will pull what we did last spring.