Gyros

Texsox

Sorry, I had doub le posted and for some reason my posts was deleted and the thread remained.

The best local Hot Dog stand near me, Chicago Dogs, added real gyros to the menu. I noticed they offer cheese, but I can't remember adding cheese before. Is that a new Chicago thing?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 1, 2006 -> 11:04 AM)
Sorry, I had doub le posted and for some reason my posts was deleted and the thread remained.

The best local Hot Dog stand near me, Chicago Dogs, added real gyros to the menu. I noticed they offer cheese, but I can't remember adding cheese before. Is that a new Chicago thing?

Feta cheese, a white crumble type of greek cheese is very common on gyros.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 12:24 AM)
There's this little gyro place in Indiana that I have to go to every time I go up north.  Man that stuff is good.  :)

35 South to 37 South to 281 South to Trenton West to 10th Street South and in about 10 hours you can have the best gyros in Texas. I'll even buy :D

QUOTE(soxman352000 @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 01:33 AM)
Gyros with cheese? Yuck! Gyros wth cucumber sauce and onions. I love Gyros

No, with FETA, as already stated, is awesome.

There was a corner gyro joint in Greek Town back when I was in high school that, when you would ask for extra zatsiki (the cucumber sauce), the counter guy would shout out to the cook in the back, "One Gyro on a pita, EXTRA JIZZ!" :D

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)
King Gyros?

The guy started it out as that in Marion - but now it's this little restaurant (not in Michigan City but in Wabash) and the food is even better (not so greasy) - and lots more of it.

A little off topic but related to gyros... I was scanning through channels the other night before we left ... and there was Alton Brown (of Food Network fame) with a half hour show on how to make homemade gyros. I tivo'd it and I think I just might try it.

:cheers

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 09:41 AM)
No, with FETA, as already stated, is awesome.

There was a corner gyro joint in Greek Town back when I was in high school that, when you would ask for extra zatsiki (the cucumber sauce), the counter guy would shout out to the cook in the back, "One Gyro on a pita, EXTRA JIZZ!"  :D

Actually it's Tzaziki sauce which is a cucumber and dill sauce ...very yummy. With a little feta on a freshly toasted pita...It is like heaven :D

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 03:21 PM)
Actually it's Tzaziki sauce which is a cucumber and dill sauce ...very yummy. With a little feta on a freshly toasted pita...It is like heaven :D

Hell, I can barely spell in English. I was lucky to even get in the ballpark on a Greek word. :bang

I worked at a Gyro joint in Champaign when i was in college and I loved when I got the job of making up that sauce using the big-ass mixer in the back prep room. I don't recall if we used dill in our version, but it wasn't until I started working there when I realized the base of the sauce was yogurt and not sour cream.

I fired up a kick-ass saganaki too! :D

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 1, 2006 -> 12:19 PM)
Chicago Dogs has the meat rotating right there and cuts it off to order. Mmmmm.

I've never eaten one before that wasn't cut right off the slab of rotating meat. So it being done any other way, is news to me. We do things right in chicago. :P