NFL Coaches Firings Galore!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 12:20 PM)
yeah that can very easily be a playoff team next season they definitely got the pieces.  They definitely need an upgrade in my opinion in the LB position but other than that solid defense.  On offense I guess maybe a couple OL could help.

No doubt that's where they'll try to upgrade, probably through the draft. It'll be interesting to see what happens with Daunte Culpepper as well although I can't see him leaving.

Here's a coaching candidate from left field though, Denny Green.

There are some coaches out there licking their chops with two coaching vacancies on a 9-7 and a 10-6 squad. If Bill Parcels hangs it up also, that would be an amazing set of jobs.

By the way, Dom Capers is also out in Houston, not quite the same job as the other two right now. :P

Houston Texans coach Dom Capers will be fired on Monday, league and team sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Even though team consultant Dan Reeves wouldn't mind becoming the Texans' next coach, owner Bob McNair will look closely at offensive coordinators like Denver's Gary Kubiak and San Diego's Cam Cameron, with Iowa's Kirk Ferentz likely on the radar of teams who have or will have openings, Mortensen reported.

ALAMEDA, Calif. -- Norv Turner drove away from Raiders headquarters Sunday with plans on coming back Tuesday to begin player evaluations.

The coach knows he could be cleaning out his desk that day instead.

Ya, I think they will eventually turn the reigns over to Dan Reeves. If he doesn't get the job I expect him to be very involved with the organization.

One good candidate is the Green Bay Packers defensive coordinator (was the DC in Miami until Saban took over). Obviously Greg Blache and the Bears Rivera will be contacted as well.

Speaking of job openings, I tend to think Norv Turner and the Raiders will mutually go there seperate ways. I don't think the Raiders want him back and I honestly don't think he wants to be back with Al Davis and the Raiders.

Nothing official, but I'd be shocked if he is back. The stuff being talked around out here on the West Coast is that he doesn't want to be with the Raiders. He will be a highly coveted offensive coordinator and will probably land a gig with an experienced team.

Speaking of job openings, you can't forget that Sherman is reportedly a potential firing in Green Bay. This could be a year without about as many coaching vacancies as I can think of. Plus a couple of them are pretty good teams (Kansas City and potentially Dallas and I think a healthy Packers team is still solid).

I so f***ing hope no one snags Ferentz. He just signed a nice contract extension at Iowa, but his son graduates this year and he could leave. I hope he loves Iowa City and stays there for as long as he wants. I really believe he's going to eventually bring a national championship to Iowa.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 12:40 PM)
Nothing official, but I'd be shocked if he is back.  The stuff being talked around out here on the West Coast is that he doesn't want to be with the Raiders.  He will be a highly coveted offensive coordinator and will probably land a gig with an experienced team.

Speaking of job openings, you can't forget that Sherman is reportedly a potential firing in Green Bay.  This could be a year without about as many coaching vacancies as I can think of.  Plus a couple of them are pretty good teams (Kansas City and potentially Dallas and I think a healthy Packers team is still solid).

Jay Glazer reported today that the Packers were going to suprise everybody and fire Sherman. It'll be interesting to see what happens with Brett Favre if this goes down.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 1, 2006 -> 05:41 PM)
Who would seriously want this job though? The only person I can think of is Jim Fassel, and judged by Kyle Boller's performance today, he may have had enough of that situation there.

Fassel is a good coach and would make a good hire. Boller may not have played great today but he played really good the previous two weeks and has all the tools. If I were a GM and Boller were available I'd definately consider him.

At the same time, Fassel would be right near the top of my coaching list. He's a very good offensive mind and was a pretty sucessful coach.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 1, 2006 -> 08:41 PM)
Who would seriously want this job though? The only person I can think of is Jim Fassel, and judged by Kyle Boller's performance today, he may have had enough of that situation there.

Dick Jauron maybe? I don't know if Detroit will keep him around, I mean, they only named him interim head coach after Mariucci was fired.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 12:41 PM)
I so f***ing hope no one snags Ferentz.  He just signed a nice contract extension at Iowa, but his son graduates this year and he could leave.  I hope he loves Iowa City and stays there for as long as he wants.  I really believe he's going to eventually bring a national championship to Iowa.

I think Ferentz is really going to be in demand this off-season. Teams have seen what Nick Saban has done for Miami, and if Kirk is actually interested in coming to the NFL he could almost have his pick of teams that he wants to coach.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 1, 2006 -> 05:42 PM)
Jay Glazer reported today that the Packers were going to suprise everybody and fire Sherman. It'll be interesting to see what happens with Brett Favre if this goes down.

If the fire him, they are probably forcing the hand of Farve. I just can't see Brett playing with another coach (obviously he's played with a couple, but he has a good relationship with Sherman and I doubt he'd want to deal with switching systems).

If Sherman is fired, he won't be without a job for long.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jan 1, 2006 -> 05:42 PM)
Dick Jauron maybe?  I don't know if Detroit will keep him around, I mean, they only named him interim head coach after Mariucci was fired.

I don't think Detroit will stick with Jauron. They are going to at least interview candidates. Its too bad Millen is signed for the next 5 years. If he wasn't I'd say the odds are good that he could potentially get canned to, but no way is Detroit going to drop Millen and pay him these next 5 years.