NFL Coaches Firings Galore!

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 12:39 PM)
One good candidate is the Green Bay Packers defensive coordinator (was the DC in Miami until Saban took over).  Obviously Greg Blache and the Bears Rivera will be contacted as well.

That'd be Jim Bates. He's done a good job in Miami and now Green Bay but I think there's other Defensive Co-Ordinators around the league who have a bit more of a higher stock right now such as Greg Williams.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 12:44 PM)
I don't think Detroit will stick with Jauron.  They are going to at least interview candidates.  Its too bad Millen is signed for the next 5 years.  If he wasn't I'd say the odds are good that he could potentially get canned to, but no way is Detroit going to drop Millen and pay him these next 5 years.

Millen really wants Parcells but that ain't gonna happen. Russ Grimm is probably the guy they'll end up taking I think.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 1, 2006 -> 05:43 PM)
I think Ferentz is really going to be in demand this off-season. Teams have seen what Nick Saban has done for Miami, and if Kirk is actually interested in coming to the NFL he could almost have his pick of teams that he wants to coach.

I don't doubt it. Especially considering the amount of job openings.

Lets just say:

Green Bay

Houston

Oakland

Detroit

Kansas City

Dallas

New York Jets (they say Herm Edwards is safe, but anything can happen).

Am I missing any others? Thats potentially 7 vacancies and while there are some good candidates out there, at least one of those teams is going to sniff the college ranks and Ferentz and Tedford are the two guys that will get the bulk of the calls. Both will make great coaches wherever they go, imo.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 1, 2006 -> 05:46 PM)
Millen really wants Parcells but that ain't gonna happen. Russ Grimm is probably the guy they'll end up taking I think.

He's the tough guy from the Steelers right? IIRC was like an oline coach. I remember the Bears were looking at him either for the head coaching job two years ago or the offensive coordinator position (pretty sure it was the head coaching job). I remember a lot of Bears fans liked the idea of Grimm, but some feared he didn't have enough experience at the time.

Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong guy though. Seems like a Millen hire though and Grimm's attitude would probably be liked in a blue collar place like Detroit (it would have been liked in Chicago too).

There's Herm Edwards as well. I wonder if he'll stick with the Jets or bolt to Kansas City. I think he'd probably like the challenge of fixing up KC's defense, and he wouldn't have to worry about the offense at all.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 12:47 PM)
He's the tough guy from the Steelers right?  IIRC was like an oline coach.  I remember the Bears were looking at him either for the head coaching job two years ago or the offensive coordinator position (pretty sure it was the head coaching job).

Yeah that's right. Millen wants a real hard - ass in there, because apparently Mooch went all soft on everybody hence why the likes of Charles Rogers haven't done much at all. I think it's a pretty good fit for both parties.

Yep Russ was one of the original "hogs" on the Redskins OL. He brought a great OL to Pittsburgh, although it was down this year by his normal standards. He's an associate head coach for Pittsburgh also, and would be a solid hire. He would fit in well in somewhere like Detroit, Green Bay etc.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 1, 2006 -> 05:45 PM)
That'd be Jim Bates. He's done a good job in Miami and now Green Bay but I think there's other Defensive Co-Ordinators around the league who have a bit more of a higher stock right now such as Greg Williams.

Williams won't be in Washington next year. Technically isn't Blache the coordinator while Williams is the assistant head coach - defense or soemthing like that. I mean it was Blache's core and I think Williams was a key addition but at the same time I think he's taking some of Blache's credit.

Both are going to get a really good opportunity this off-season and I could see both leaving for a head coaching job. Blache is by far the more risky hire, but he has a positive attitude and gets the most out of his players. I don't think he'll make a good head coach but he's earned a shot at it.

I think Rivera is still a little raw to be an NFL head coach but he's going to get some interviews simply because of the NFL's rule on interviewing minority coaches (not saying its not deserved, but that alone will get him plenty of interviews since him and Blache are about the only two deserving of a head coaching position that fit the NFL guidelines). Personally I'd hate to lose Rivera.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 12:46 PM)
I don't doubt it.  Especially considering the amount of job openings.

Lets just say:

Green Bay

Houston

Oakland

Detroit

Kansas City

Dallas

New York Jets (they say Herm Edwards is safe, but anything can happen). 

Am I missing any others?  Thats potentially 7 vacancies and while there are some good candidates out there, at least one of those teams is going to sniff the college ranks and Ferentz and Tedford are the two guys that will get the bulk of the calls.  Both will make great coaches wherever they go, imo.

Jim Haslett is probably going to quit the Saints since he's had enough. Denny Green could be in some trouble in Arizona, and then there's the Rams.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 1, 2006 -> 05:47 PM)
There's Herm Edwards as well. I wonder if he'll stick with the Jets or bolt to Kansas City. I think he'd probably like the challenge of fixing up KC's defense, and he wouldn't have to worry about the offense at all.

Edwards is a good coach. I'd take him on the Bears any day of the week.

Are the Titans going to stick with Fisher? I'd like to think they would but sometimes teams just feel a change is necessary.

In the case of Edwards and Fisher, if either were fired it wouldn't take em long to find a new team to coach.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 12:51 PM)
Edwards is a good coach.  I'd take him on the Bears any day of the week. 

Are the Titans going to stick with Fisher?  I'd like to think they would but sometimes teams just feel a change is necessary.

In the case of Edwards and Fisher, if either were fired it wouldn't take em long to find a new team to coach.

If Jeff Fisher became available a lot of team would definitely love to have him. It depends on what owner Bud Adams wants to do, but Fisher isn't in any trouble right now.

And the more I think about it, the more Herm Edwards seems like the perfect coach for the Chiefs.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 1, 2006 -> 05:51 PM)
Jim Haslett is probably going to quit the Saints since he's had enough. Denny Green could be in some trouble in Arizona, and then there's the Rams.

I think the guy that took over for the Rams did an admirable job. He went to the run but had a ton of injuries to compete with. Martz is a gonner though.

I can't believe how many vacancies there will be. Your right about Haslett. I think he'd get fired if it weren't for the fact that the Saints were in such a s***ty position and Benson has to no that no good candidate will go there (it will have to be a guy whose been waiting and waiting for a shot or thats considered too green by most that they hire early and hope he can develop into a good coach). I definately could see Haslett saying the hell with it, but he won't be finding another head coaching position. Definately see him finding a gig as a coordinator and obviously Mike Martz could get hired as either a HC or a O.C. (he'd be great back in the OC position with a coach who forces him to run the ball enough).

Martz could be one that the Raiders look at. I think Haslett if he goes could definitely get a head coaching job somewhere else though. I know a lot of teams were impressed with the job he did early on with the Saints keeping them afloat.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 1, 2006 -> 05:55 PM)
Martz could be one that the Raiders look at. I think Haslett if he goes could definitely get a head coaching job somewhere else though. I know a lot of teams were impressed with the job he did early on with the Saints keeping them afloat.

Personally I think Haslett is a garbage head coach. He's had a talented team for a while (I'm not counting this year cause it was an impossible job) and he's continued to fail to get his talent to gel and play up to its capabilities. At some point the onus falls on the head coach.

Martz offensive style would definately fit in nicely on a team with as many offensive weapons as the Raiders have (they have a strong WR core and Lamont Jordan showed quite a few flashes. Of course if I were the Raiders I'd find a defensive minded coach and try to grab Martz as an OC (Al Davis would pay the bucks).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 12:56 PM)
Personally I think Haslett is a garbage head coach.  He's had a talented team for a while (I'm not counting this year cause it was an impossible job) and he's continued to fail to get his talent to gel and play up to its capabilities. At some point the onus falls on the head coach.

Well I think a lot of people thought the Saints were a real talented team. But now almost everyone realizes Aaron Brooks isn't that good of a QB, and their defense ain't too good either besides the D-Line.

It goes each way a little, but I think Haslett could get a job somewhere, since the openings could reach up to double figures.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 1, 2006 -> 05:58 PM)
Well I think a lot of people thought the Saints were a real talented team. But now almost everyone realizes Aaron Brooks isn't that good of a QB, and their defense ain't too good either besides the D-Line.

It goes each way a little, but I think Haslett could get a job somewhere, since the openings could reach up to double figures.

I definately agree with you that a lot of coaches are going to get 2nd chances since there is going to be a ton of openings.

However, if my opinion means anything, I don't see Parcells retiring. I think he'll be back next year and the Cowboys should be a pretty good team next year.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 01:27 AM)
No doubt that's where they'll try to upgrade, probably through the draft. It'll be interesting to see what happens with Daunte Culpepper as well although I can't see him leaving.

Here's a coaching candidate from left field though, Denny Green.

Not really I dont think he is going to leave Arizona to come back to a franchise that fired him after making the playoffs.

FOXSports.com has learned that the Packers have fired head coach Mike Sherman. General Manager Ted Thompson informed his coach that the franchise was heading in another direction early this morning.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5214572

Brett will likely go after this, can't wait to see the Pack have more losing seasons with Rodgers trying to be their savior. The NFC North is going to be dominated by the Bears for the rest of the decade.

Edited by maggsmaggs

Saints fire Jim Haslett

FOXSports.com has learned that the New Orleans Saints this morning fired head coach Jim Haslett. Haslett was informed of GM Mickey Loomis' decision this morning and then Loomis met with owner Tom Benson shortly after to finalize the details.

Haslett will now become a hot candidate in places like Buffalo, St. Louis and possibly in New York if Herm Edwards bolts for the Chiefs.

Loomis will begin interviewing candidates immediately.

About a month ago the Saints job looked like a bad one but now that the team is heading back to the Big Easy, the opening has been pumped up quite a bit as next year they could end up being the feel-good story in the NFL. The Saints also come with some good personnel and now they have the No. 2 pick in the draft, which could bring USC stud Matt Leinart.

The Saints are expected to announce the move later today.

Haslett is considered a solid coach but this year, in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, the conditions were too difficult to overcome. Haslett, however, did a solid job in keeping the team together in the face of such adversity.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5214670

Edited by Pierzynski 12