Flutie Converts Drop Kick

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP) -- Doug Flutie added another oddity to his football resume on Sunday when he converted a drop kick in the fourth quarter of the New England Patriots' game against the Miami Dolphins.

It was the league's first drop kick since the 1941 NFL championship game, according to the Web site for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

With starting quarterback Tom Brady sitting out most of the season-ending game, backup Matt Cassel threw a 9-yard touchdown pass to Tim Dwight to cut Miami's lead to 25-19 with 6:10 left in the game. Flutie, who was listed as the No. 3 QB, came in for the extra point and lined up at quarterback.

After a timeout, Flutie took the snap, dropped the ball and kicked it off a short hop through the uprights for one point. He ran off the field and embraced coach Bill Belichick.

According to the Hall of Fame site, Chicago's Ray "Scooter" McLean converted the last drop kick in the Bears' 37-9 victory over the New York Giants on Dec. 21, 1941.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 1, 2006 -> 09:08 PM)
I've always liked Flutie, he seems like a great guy who has had a lot of fun so far in his life. And if this does become his last play, what a great ending.

Yeah.

The announcers we're saying what a way to go out, if this indeed was his final game action.

It is a combination of a punt and place kick. The kicker drops the ball and must kick it after or exactly when it hits the ground. Earlier and it is a punt, later it is difficult or impossible to control.

We use to do it as a kids. It is kind of fun when you time it perfectly.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 04:55 PM)
I love the fact that they allowed Flutie to do it...but I don't like the backlash...

"Bill Belichick is a true genius and student of the game."  Blah, blah, blah.....

Yeah that part is retarded.... Especially when I heard he found out Flutie could do it from Chris Berman when he said it during one of his ESPN segments about Flutie I guess.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 03:23 PM)
It is a combination of a punt and place kick. The kicker drops the ball and must kick it after or exactly when it hits the ground. Earlier and it is a punt, later it is difficult or impossible to control.

We use to do it as a kids. It is kind of fun when you time it perfectly.

Basically they use it heaps in Rugby, and to start the games off. And you when you really connect on a drop kick, it sounds sweet. :)

I didn't think it was that big of a deal. It is only worth one point, and why use it when you can just kick an extra point? Was that something like Flutie's last request?

I have always like Flutie, he reminds me of the movie Rudy. He always seemed to play against the odds. I guess this is just another example.

Had the Bears not become so full of themselves after the Superbowl year and not worshipped that buffoon Jim McMahon, they could have easily won several more championships with Flutie at QB.

Instead the whole team worried more about egos and commercials than they did about winning again. Flutie became a star in the Canadian league and came back to the NFL and played pretty well.

Oh well, Chicago's loss.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 11:01 AM)
Had the Bears not become so full of themselves after the Superbowl year and not worshipped that buffoon Jim McMahon, they could have easily won several more championships with Flutie at QB.

Instead the whole team worried more about egos and commercials than they did about winning again. Flutie became a star in the Canadian league and came back to the NFL and played pretty well.

Oh well, Chicago's loss.

The 86 and 87 team are a lot like the 2005 team. Great defense, and no passing game. McMahon was hurt half of those seasons and Tomczak played a lot. Flutie alone was not going to give the Bears anymore championships.

Flutie played well in Canada because the competition is a joke. It is like the World League. He couldn't find a job in the NFL, so he went North. He is a great guy and a scrappy QB, but if he was that much of a difference maker he would have been starting in the NFL a lot longer than he did.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 10:13 AM)
The 86 and 87 team are a lot like the 2005 team.  Great defense, and no passing game.  McMahon was hurt half of those seasons and Tomczak played a lot.  Flutie alone was not going to give the Bears anymore championships. 

Flutie played well in Canada because the competition is a joke.  It is like the World League.  He couldn't find a job in the NFL, so he went North.  He is a great guy and a scrappy QB, but if he was that much of a difference maker he would have been starting in the NFL a lot longer than he did.

Agreed. I've always enjoyed watching Flutie play, but he wasn't going to take an NFL to the promised land. That "buffoon Jim McMahon" did accomplish that.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 08:36 AM)
Agreed.  I've always enjoyed watching Flutie play,  but he wasn't going to take an NFL to the promised land.  That "buffoon Jim McMahon" did accomplish that.

I don't know about that...that 1st year he played with the Bills he had a real shot, until Wade Phillips started Rob Johnson against the Colts in game 16 of the season, then saw Johnson tear up the Colts backups, and decided to start Johnson in game 1 of the playoffs against Tennessee.

You'll remember that game as the music city miracle. But what I remember of that game is that the Bills offense looked totally off kilter with Johnson in there. Something like a dozen false start penalties killing drives. The Bills dominated that game, except for the work of Jevan Kearse. They should have won it easily, but Johnson sabotaged that team through his suckiness, while Flutie sat on the bench. Tennessee went on to be 1 yard from winning the Super Bowl, and the Bills should have won that game with ease even without that b*tch Frank Wycheck.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 12:09 PM)
I don't know about that...that 1st year he played with the Bills he had a real shot, until Wade Phillips started Rob Johnson against the Colts in game 16 of the season, then saw Johnson tear up the Colts backups, and decided to start Johnson in game 1 of the playoffs against Tennessee.

You'll remember that game as the music city miracle.  But what I remember of that game is that the Bills offense looked totally off kilter with Johnson in there.  Something like a dozen false start penalties killing drives.  The Bills dominated that game, except for the work of Jevan Kearse.  They should have won it easily, but Johnson sabotaged that team through his suckiness, while Flutie sat on the bench.  Tennessee went on to be 1 yard from winning the Super Bowl, and the Bills should have won that game with ease even without that b*tch Frank Wycheck.

I still laugh when I think of that game!

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 10:13 AM)
I still laugh when I think of that game!

I'm still absolutely furious. Not as much at our kickoff coverage on the Miracle as I am at Wade Phillips for playing Johnson when Johnson was 1-3 that season while Flutie was like 10-2 or something ridiculout like that.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 12:23 PM)
I'm still absolutely furious.  Not as much at our kickoff coverage on the Miracle as I am at Wade Phillips for playing Johnson when Johnson was 1-3 that season while Flutie was like 10-2 or something ridiculout like that.

You have to understand. Where I live is half Titans - half Rams due to being cetrally located between the two. So, I see quite a few Titans games. I'm a Bears fan and always will be, but I do tend to pull for the Titans to a certain extent.