Draft Order Is In

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 11:34 PM)
I really dont think Young can stay after this game.

He just flat out dominated, and he almost always looks to pass first and run second. He will be very good in the NFL, if I was Houston I would trade Carr and draft Young. They have a good RB core, they have Andre Johnson, they in no way can hurt their franchise by drafting Young. He is going to be a Texas hero, if they pass on him and he does well, they will never live it down. Even if Young doesnt pan out, the fan base will understand far more.

Bush looks like a smaller S. Alexander.

Some of those Texas lineman look real good, I could be real happy with the Bears getting one.

Well, after screaming to the Texas fans "We'll be back" while holding a fancy trophy last night in the Rose Bowl, it would sure be one heck of a flip flop.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 12:01 PM)
Well, after screaming to the Texas fans "We'll be back" while holding a fancy trophy last night in the Rose Bowl, it would sure be one heck of a flip flop.

It was an emotional moment. Sean May said he'd be back too after UNC won. It's VERY difficult to pass on that kind of money when your already a college legend and have a national title. But hey, maybe I'm wrong, I hope I am, Vince is a great player and it'd be fun to see him back at Texas next yera.

Texas has a very nice recruiting class, but its not the best in the nation. Its sitting at #2 right now and teams like FSU, USC, LSU etc always make a late surge around signing day.

Besides, Texas has enough depth to not rely on freshmen on the OL, but its just not the same as having talented seniors anchoring the line. Jamarcus Webb is UT's best OL prospect and he has to put on 20-30 pounds before he will see alot of time.

I know you are excited about the win and truly hope/believe Vince will be back. I felt the same way about Sean May and Marvin Williams. Sean May, almost a week after the emotion from the championship was over, told a huge crowd at the parade that he would be back. But money and the oppurtunity were just too much, just like I think it will be for Vince.

That and it makes me cry as a Texas Tech fan/student to think about having to face him again.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 03:28 AM)
I think New Orleans takes Matt Leinart because I have a REAL hard time believing that the Saints will be in N.O. in 2007. The NFL is basically FORCING them to play there next year even though it would be better for the team to play in San Antonio. I am sure that will piss of the owner and he'll force a move to LA. Matt Leinart returns to LA. Seems like a big draw to me!

The owner, Benson, fought with the NFL to get them to play in New Orleans. The team actually wants to play in New Orleans. What are you talking about?

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 12:32 AM)
Wow I didn't know anyone payed attention to the Houston Texans.....

How do you figure Dom Davis will get a 2nd round pick when Seattle and Indy couldn't get that when taking offers for James and Alexander last year? There is no way in hell that Houston will be able to get a 2nd round pick for Dominic Davis.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 09:24 PM)
Bears not drafting or signing a good wr would be one of the worst mistakes.

I can not name any time where they have had more good WR's then they could find playing time.

And why would you want Randle El, who is going to be more expensive then Brandon Williams, and is not as good of a WR or returner?

IMO you draft best player available unless you have a glaring need.

SB

I think you are a little biased there.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 06:50 AM)
Houston won't pick him, Texas has the nation's best recruiting class(with a stud OL), and he has a chance to for the Heisman(which he really wants badly) plus the shot of winning another National Championship. Remember that his WR's will also be better considering they'll be sophmores and juniors.

His stock will never be this high with this much momentum going his way. If he stays it gives all the people to pick you apart and undervalue you. Leinart would have been the 1st pick in the draft last year. He stayed and he will lose money. How much, I don't know, but he will not be the first overall pick and will not get first overall pick bonus money or contract. He would be a fool to stay.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 11:34 AM)
His stock will never be this high with this much momentum going his way. If he stays it gives all the people to pick you apart and undervalue you. Leinart would have been the 1st pick in the draft last year. He stayed and he will lose money. How much, I don't know, but he will not be the first overall pick and will not get first overall pick bonus money or contract. He would be a fool to stay.

With Texas having the 1st pick and still having David Carr, I'd think they'd be much more in the market for Reggie Bush unless someone traded for that pick in order to take Young.

Leinart has moved down in the draft by being taken this year, and has lost money. But I could very easily see Young being taken 2nd or later this year depending on what type of QB the Saints decide they want (Pocket passer or pocket passer who can run?) If Vince were to stay, I can't see anyone right now who could pass him to take the #1 spot in the 2007 draft, barring the usual injuries of course, can you?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 07:43 PM)
With Texas having the 1st pick and still having David Carr, I'd think they'd be much more in the market for Reggie Bush unless someone traded for that pick in order to take Young.

Leinart has moved down in the draft by being taken this year, and has lost money.  But I could very easily see Young being taken 2nd or later this year depending on what type of QB the Saints decide they want (Pocket passer or pocket passer who can run?)  If Vince were to stay, I can't see anyone right now who could pass him to take the #1 spot in the 2007 draft, barring the usual injuries of course, can you?

Where did I ever say Young would get drafted #1 overall? I am basically saying that Young's stock has no where to go but down. It is at its all time high and it will never get higher.

Last year no one saw Vince Young rising this high to take this spot. Next year someone else will rise up. It could be Brady Quinn. Who knows. All I know is that Vince Young's stock will never be as high as it is now. It will never have this much momentum going into a draft again. Why risk it? It just doesn't make sense.

Southsiderirish,

First of all I dont see where bias enters my statement. I am a Bears fan, meaning I want the Bears to do well. Ive watched Randle El since he was a qb in Indiana, he is not as polished as Brandon Williams. Not to mention Randle El's little Brother Marcus is on the Wisconsin football team so not sure where bias enters.

Ive seen Williams play for years, and I feel I am a good judge of talent, I feel he will be a solid slot WR for years and good PR/KR. These are things the Bears need.

As for Young leaving.

If he is going to be picked by the Texans, his home town team, Young is gone.

If he is not going to be, he may stay.

As for the Texans picking Bush, that is dumber than picking Young and having Carr. The Texans not only have Dominick Davis, they have Vernard Morency, and Wells. Bush is not as good as Young and they will forever live in the shadow of one of the greatest state of Texas players.

IMO, Vince Young is hands down the best player in this draft.

SB

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 08:50 PM)
Southsiderirish,

First of all I dont see where bias enters my statement. I am a Bears fan, meaning I want the Bears to do well. Ive watched Randle El since he was a qb in Indiana, he is not as polished as Brandon Williams. Not to mention Randle El's little Brother Marcus is on the Wisconsin football team so not sure where bias enters.

Ive seen Williams play for years, and I feel I am a good judge of talent, I feel he will be a solid slot WR for years and good PR/KR. These are things the Bears need.

As for Young leaving.

If he is going to be picked by the Texans, his home town team, Young is gone.

If he is not going to be, he may stay.

As for the Texans picking Bush, that is dumber than picking Young and having Carr. The Texans not only have Dominick Davis, they have Vernard Morency, and Wells. Bush is not as good as Young and they will forever live in the shadow of one of the greatest state of Texas players.

IMO, Vince Young is hands down the best player in this draft.

SB

Was this whole post directed towards me or just the biased part? Because I don't ever remember stating that Houston would take Bush in the draft.

I think you have a bias towards Wisconsin players. Randle El has been in the NFL for 4 years now. It is tought to say that a player, that is not considered elite by any means, would be better than a player that has been in the NFL for 4 years now. Randle El seems like a pretty good fit as a slot receiver for the Bears to me. He is a proven NFL player. Brandon Williams has not proven a thing and is not some budding superstar that scouts just can't stop raving about or that coaches can't wait to get their hands on. I don't think they would or should waste a draft pick on a wide receiver such as Brandon Williams. I don't even know where you are thinking about taking him, but if it is with the Bears first round selection I think you are absolutely nuts if you think taking Brandon Williams over either TE Marcedes Lewis or Vernon Davis would be the better move.

Only biased was directed at you.

As for where I would draft Williams, I said he would be a good 2nd or 3rd round pick for the Bears.

Not once have I said the Bears would draft Williams at 1, I said that if he had a great combine that he probably could move up to a 1st round pick.

I didnt even realize he was the leading WR in the Big 10 until I was looking at some Calhoun stats.

I really like Randle El, I just would say in my opinion that Williams has more to offer than El.

SB

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 01:27 PM)
How do you figure Dom Davis will get a 2nd round pick when Seattle and Indy couldn't get that when taking offers for James and Alexander last year? There is no way in hell that Houston will be able to get a 2nd round pick for Dominic Davis.

The Bills got a 3rd round pick from Tennessee for Travis Henry.

Maybe that's just cuz Tom Donahoe was smart and took a draft pick from the 2006 draft instead of the 2005 draft.

That being said...Davis is being paid like a starter, not a backup...so I don't see anyway possible for Houston to get a 2nd round pick for him, unless some team decides they need a starting HB next year and are willing to pay it. If so, the Texans could easily get a 2nd round pick.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)
The Bills got a 3rd round pick from Tennessee for Travis Henry.

Maybe that's just cuz Tom Donahoe was smart and took a draft pick from the 2006 draft instead of the 2005 draft.

That being said...Davis is being paid like a starter, not a backup...so I don't see anyway possible for Houston to get a 2nd round pick for him, unless some team decides they need a starting HB next year and are willing to pay it.  If so, the Texans could easily get a 2nd round pick.

Also, I'm not 100% sure what Davis' contract situation is, but Alexander and James didn't have a lot of value to potential trade partners because both only had one year left on their contract and were/are seeking sizeable long term contracts. Teams didn't want to give up a 1st or 2nd round pick on the chance that they couldn't resign them.

Also, if they did decide to sign them, both would be signed to rather large deals that stretched well past 30, something most teams don't want to do with runningbacks. Alexander will be 29 by the start of next season, James will be 28, Davis will be 25. History suggests that although Alexander and James are much better backs, they've probably got 3 or 4 years left of production, while Davis has more like 7, and at a much lower cap price. If you're a major contender with a need for a runningback and have a lot of cap space, James or Alexander would have been a good fit. There aren't too many teams like that however.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)
Also, I'm not 100% sure what Davis' contract situation is, but Alexander and James didn't have a lot of value to potential trade partners because both only had one year left on their contract and were/are seeking sizeable long term contracts. Teams didn't want to give up a 1st or 2nd round pick on the chance that they couldn't resign them.

Also, if they did decide to sign them, both would be signed to rather large deals that stretched well past 30, something most teams don't want to do with runningbacks. Alexander will be 29 by the start of next season, James will be 28, Davis will be 25. History suggests that although Alexander and James are much better backs, they've probably got 3 or 4 years left of production, while Davis has more like 7, and at a much lower cap price. If you're a major contender with a need for a runningback and have a lot of cap space, James or Alexander would have been a good fit. There aren't too many teams like that however.

Davis signed something like a 4 year deal worth $21 million or some such contract before last season I believe it was..so its not that unaffordable.

I will say if Davis is traded, the writing is on the wall. From the Texans point of view, trading Davis would appear to be a dumb move, considering everything.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 01:02 PM)
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2283797

Texans taking Bush, even if Young enters.

like is said before keep Davis as the starting RB however you use Bush the way USC used him this season. He could pretty much become another WR who could also get 10-15 rushes a game.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 09:31 AM)
like is said before keep Davis as the starting RB however you use Bush the way USC used him this season.  He could pretty much become another WR who could also get 10-15 rushes a game.

How much money are the Texans going to be paying those two RB's if they keep both though? Plus I think Bush is more valuable than a change of pace back, the way Cinci use Chris Perry somehow. And then of course the Texans have a LOT of other needs to fill.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 05:36 PM)
How much money are the Texans going to be paying those two RB's if they keep both though? Plus I think Bush is more valuable than a change of pace back, the way Cinci use Chris Perry somehow. And then of course the Texans have a LOT of other needs to fill.

Davis is a good RB and Bush can start at WR and still return punts. He would get 10-15 rushes a game and play the rest of the game at WR and return punts for the Texans.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 11:32 AM)
Davis is a good RB and Bush can start at WR and still return punts.  He would get 10-15 rushes a game and play the rest of the game at WR and return punts for the Texans.

And I'll ask again, how much money will the Texans be paying those 2 if they keep em both, and will using Bush that way be beneficial to the Texans if they are going to pay him like a #1 pick? They were pretty high on the Salary Cap this season as well, IIRC.