One smart cat

FlaSoxxJim

Cats are so much smarter than dogs.

Cat Calls 911 to Help Owner, Police Say

Ohio Police Answering 911 Call Find Cat Near Living Room Phone and Ill Owner on Bedroom Floor

COLUMBUS, Ohio Jan 2, 2006 — Police aren't sure how else to explain it. But when an officer walked into an apartment Thursday night to answer a 911 call, an orange-and-tan striped cat was lying by a telephone on the living room floor. The cat's owner, Gary Rosheisen, was on the ground near his bed having fallen out of his wheelchair.

Rosheisen said his cat, Tommy, must have hit the right buttons to call 911.

"I know it sounds kind of weird," Officer Patrick Daugherty said, unsuccessfully searching for some other explanation.

Rosheisen said he couldn't get up because of pain from osteoporosis and ministrokes that disrupt his balance. He also wasn't wearing his medical-alert necklace and couldn't reach a cord above his pillow that alerts paramedics that he needs help.

Daugherty said police received a 911 call from Rosheisen's apartment, but there was no one on the phone. Police called back to make sure everything was OK, and when no one answered, they decided to check things out.

That's when Daugherty found Tommy next to the phone.

Rosheisen got the cat three years ago to help lower his blood pressure. He tried to train him to call 911, unsure if the training ever stuck.

The phone in the living room is always on the floor, and there are 12 small buttons including a speed dial for 911 right above the button for the speaker phone.

"He's my hero," Rosheisen said.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=1462424

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 05:02 PM)
Ive heard of a cat doing this before.  Kind of cool im glad im a cat person  :P

Sadly, if it was me that was collapsed on the floor, I know my cats would only rise to the occassion like this if they first checked their food bowls and decided they would run out of food before my wife came home. Otherwise i don't think they'd bother saving me. :angry:

My guess...

This Gary Rosheisen originally made the 911 call and collapsed right after dialing the number before saying anything. His cat came in and sat next to him, probably looking to play. Rosheisen either forgot that he originally made the call before he passed out or he is embellishing the story for some strange reason.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 05:09 PM)
My guess...

This Gary Rosheisen originally made the 911 call and collapsed right after dialing the number before saying anything.  His cat came in and sat next to him, probably looking to play.  Rosheisen either forgot that he originally made the call before he passed out or he is embellishing the story for some strange reason.

This is my guess as well. I suppose the officer interviewed was more willing to believe an outlandish scenario rather than figure out perhaps the old-man forgot he dialed 911.

How the hell can you even devise a scenario in which the cat somehow dislodged the phone from it's receiver, dialed 911, then HUNG UP. Attempt to teach the cat anything remotely close to this and it will only lick it's ass and piss on the telephone.

Anyone recall the story of the woman from Europe receiving the first facial transplant? The reason behind her injury was due to her dog mauling her face. The women, oddly enough, received the injuries while unconscious due to a suicide attempt. I haven't heard a follow up on the story, but I'm willing to bet the dog mauling her face was its response to knowing the owner was in trouble. That's a smart dog.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 01:38 AM)
This is my guess as well. I suppose the officer interviewed was more willing to believe an outlandish scenario rather than figure out perhaps the old-man forgot he dialed 911.

How the hell can you even devise a scenario in which the cat somehow dislodged the phone from it's receiver, dialed 911, then HUNG UP. Attempt to teach the cat anything remotely close to this and it will only lick it's ass and piss on the telephone.

Anyone recall the story of the woman from Europe receiving the first facial transplant? The reason behind her injury was due to her dog mauling her face. The women, oddly enough, received the injuries while unconscious due to a suicide attempt. I haven't heard a follow up on the story, but I'm willing to bet the dog mauling her face was its response to knowing the owner was in trouble. That's a smart dog.

My first reaction of course was that the story was fanciful as well. But, people have successfully trained cats to do much more difficult things that that (ever see the tightrope-walking and unicycle-riding cats at Mallory Square in Key West?) The fact that te old guy had actually tried to train the cat to do this, and the fact that we're only talking about a single button on speed-dial clearly puts this story in the realm of possibility for me. Also, the cat did not need to hang up the phone, and in fact it probably wouldn't have worked f he did or could. The connection was alive but there was nobodoy responsive at the caller end, which prompted the dispatcher to have it checked out.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 04:16 PM)
Sadly, if it was me that was collapsed on the floor, I know my cats would only rise to the occassion like this if they first checked their food bowls and decided they would run out of food before my wife came home.  Otherwise i don't think they'd bother saving me.  :angry:

Non-liberal cats?

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jan 2, 2006 -> 09:13 PM)
Most people just use hamsters. They're cheaper.

Oh man...that's just...I don't know...damn funny...

I love cats. Mine passed away in September, and I still can't even begin to think of getting another one. I'd feel wrong, almost like I was replacing her. She was the best.

I always wonder 1 thing when these sorts of stories hit the airwaves (usually it seems there's 1 or 2 "dog or cat calling 911" stories per year)...how often do dogs/cats dial 911 by accident and end up causing visits to people's homes by police/paramedics when there's no real need?

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 01:38 AM)

Even more surprising is that it took 14 replies before anyone on this thread finally called Bulls***.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 01:26 AM)
he only said bs because he is a dog lover and cat hater.... its ok when your lying on the floor in need of help im sure your dog will lick your face to make you feel all better  :P

Or wait until you are dead and EAT YOU.

Mary Provost, anyone? :bang

She never meant that much to me

But now I see

Oh poor Mary

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 12:38 PM)
I always wonder 1 thing when these sorts of stories hit the airwaves (usually it seems there's 1 or 2 "dog or cat calling 911" stories per year)...how often do dogs/cats dial 911 by accident and end up causing visits to people's homes by police/paramedics when there's no real need?

Who knows, but I guarantee it's more frequent than the one or two a year who supposedly call paramedics during an emergency.

Where is the national exposure to a story centering around a trained cat/dog accidentally dailing 911? It's far more appealing for a good natured story centering around the actions of one "hero" cat.