Indians sign Eduardo Perez

SSH2005

Eduardo Perez and the Indians have reportedly agreed on a one-year deal with an option for 2007.

Bad news for Ryan Garko fans, but if Ben Broussard struggles against righties, Garko still might get his chance before the end of the year. Perez should only be used against lefties.

Source:  St. Petersburg Times

Eduardo Perez will platoon with Ben Broussard at first base.

Personally if I were in cleveland's spot, I'd plan on starting the year with Garko @ 1b, and I think it's a mistake to put anyone else in his way. Broussard IMO should already be trade bait for the Indians for whatever they could get for him. I could understand platooning the rookie with this guy, but not holding onto 2 people ahead of him.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 09:18 AM)
Jose Hernandez supposedly mashed against lefties too, then he came to Jacob's field last year. I imagine Perez will put up similar numbers to Jose last year.

So because Jose Hernandez sucked, Eduardo Perez will suck?

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 03:34 PM)
So because Jose Hernandez sucked, Eduardo Perez will suck?

No. Eduardo Perez will suck because Eduardo Perez sucks. Though Jose's nubmers weren't "suck," against lefties, just not very good. He will now have to hit off a bunch of very good lefties in the Central, which has much, much, much better pitching than the east. That on top of moving from tampa to jacobs will mean his numbers likely won't nearly as good as they were last year. THey certainly could be, but I doubt it.

Bottom line is the Indians would have been better to go with Garko. THey need a lot more help, like the Twins, anyway you look at it.

It's a decent signing, but I would've gone with the kid.