Astros near deal for Preston Wilson

Pierzynski 12

Astros general manager Tim Purpura's hopes for landing a run-producing outfielder may come to fruition today. And if those plans work out, it's most likely free agent center fielder Preston Wilson will land with the National League champions.

"I would think within the next 24 hours, we'll know where we stand with everybody," Purpura said Monday at 6 p.m.

The Astros now appear to be Wilson's first choice.

Purpura had been in negotiations with the representatives for Wilson and Conroe High graduate Jeromy Burnitz. But the Astros are starting to believe their chances of signing Wilson are much better than their chances with Burnitz.

Wilson, 31, hit .260 with 25 home runs, 90 RBIs and 148 strikeouts for the Colorado Rockies and Washington Nationals in 2005. All-Star third baseman Morgan Ensberg, who had 36 homers and 101 RBIs, was the only Astro with more RBIs last year than Wilson.

He has played center field most of his career. It remains to be seen what would happen with Willy Taveras, the center fielder who was second in Rookie of the Year balloting in 2005.

Wilson, who earned $12.5 million in 2005, would likely get a contract worth less per year than the one-year, $6 million offer Nomar Garciaparra spurned from the Astros.

But Wilson's stay in Houston could be longer than a year. Both sides are still mulling over contract options for a potential second year.

"Things are more positive than not," Purpura said.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3561232.html

Have to wonder now if the Astros may look into dealing Willy T to the Sox now that they have three set outfielders that is if Lane plays center, would make some sense because then they would also get another pitcher and all of a sudden Astros might be a team to beat in the NL.

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 09:40 PM)
Have to wonder now if the Astros may look into dealing Willy T to the Sox now that they have three set outfielders that is if Lane plays center, would make some sense because then they would also get another pitcher and all of a sudden Astros might be a team to beat in the NL.

I just don't see why the Sox would want Taveras. They still have the pipeline for Outfielders so adding him would be a waste IMO. I would rather add some solid relievers and a high pitching prospect for Count.

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 08:50 PM)
Lane RF, Willy T Center, Preston Left.

Berkman plays First

This makes sense, but then Bagwell becomes a pretty expensive backup/PH.

Of course, the arm injury probably pushes him to the bench anyway.

Unless he's thinking about hangin' 'em up.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 3, 2006 -> 07:10 PM)
No, Taveras is gone.  You are also forgetting Mike Lamb, Jeff Bagwell, and most importantly Chris Burke who is going to play somewhere.

Burke did play some 2b last year also?

Still, I think the Stros do have to move someone for pitching, especially with the Rocket likely gone.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 07:02 PM)
Burke is a natural 2b but Biggio is still around.

Yeah, so as actually it probably does make sense for the Astros to keep Taveras, in the sense if they trade him to let Burke play in CF for 06, then Biggio retires, Burke moves back to 2nd, and suddenly they need a CF (because Lane or Wilson ain't gonna get the job done defensively there).

But I'd expect someone to get moved there. Tim Purpura's definitely up to something in terms of a big move.

Is it me or is that a really fair signing. Obviously the contract has incentives for the 3 option years that could push it up, but I'm sure they are the type of incentives that if he reaches it, it would be well worth paying him that money.

4 mill for 25 HR and 90 RBI, albeit a million strikeouts ain't too bad. Well considering Burnitz is supposedly considering a 2yr 12 mill deal from the Pirates.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 12:50 PM)
Is it me or is that a really fair signing.  Obviously the contract has incentives for the 3 option years that could push it up, but I'm sure they are the type of incentives that if he reaches it, it would be well worth paying him that money. 

4 mill for 25 HR and 90 RBI, albeit a million strikeouts ain't too bad.  Well considering Burnitz is supposedly considering a 2yr 12 mill deal from the Pirates.

If both parties signed it, it's fair ... by definition.