Gary Matthews Jr.

CWSOX45

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yep

see HSC's question - and look at his average - sorry, I see no use for him whatsoever, kind of like Baltimore has

But look at what he did last season Vince. If I recall he really hit the ball last year. Also, despite a very low avg he has a .325 obp which tells you if he hits .260 he'd have a .340-.350 obp from a bottom of the lineup hitter. He's a great bunter and has unbelievable range in center. He has more range then the two of our centerfielders combined.

I with you Jas, if he can bunt, hit behind runners, and play a good CF defense, he is a HUGE improvement in CF. But I also would like to know why he is being waived. That doesn't make sense.

WHY ARE WE ALL CLAMORING ABOUT THIS GUY WHEN HE IS STILL ON THE ORIOLES????????? OMG PEOPLE HE WAS NOT WAIVED HE PLAYED LAST NIGHT :bang  :bang

He could have been placed on waivers and still not claimed. There is a span of time that a waiver request takes to process. It isn't a RELEASE, it is a WAIVER REQUEST!+

WHY ARE WE ALL CLAMORING ABOUT THIS GUY WHEN HE IS STILL ON THE ORIOLES????????? OMG PEOPLE HE WAS NOT WAIVED HE PLAYED LAST NIGHT :bang  :bang

According to ESPN Matthews was waived after the game.

CWSOX45

unimpressive stats

I look at his stats and he is a weak hitter, the kind that if are all on team we bash but if on another team we think they are God's gift -  if he hit 260?  He has done that only once.  The rest of his years he has hit well under.  Why would he suddenly blossum by coming to us?

If he had his 2003 stats as a Sox player, the threads saying he should be dumped would be numerous.

cw...I thought you out of anyone would know this....but stats are only half the picture. You need to see him before you can judge.

I personally think MJ was a great backup catcher....he can handle the bat, work a count, steal a base, get down a bunt, hit sac flys, gets runners over and on top of that, he calls a good game and has a good arm. In a nut shell....he is very fundamentally sound player. He'll just never hit for a good average, unless you consider a .240 average(at most) good.

Out of all of those....how many can be put into stat form? I'd say....at most....6 of the 8....and that is even stretching. I counted stealing an occassional base, handling the bat(as in not K'ing), working a count(getting walks), and having a good arm(his CS percentage).....so, that could be 2 of 8 or 3 of 8 as well.

If you looked at just stats....you'd say that Mark Johnson is a very, very s***ty catcher. When you watch him....you see a totally different player.....one that would make a very, very good backup catcher. IMO....MJ is a great backup catcher....one of the best in the league. He is a very, very s***ty starting catcher.

Get Jose Guillen now, he will  come for nothing.  9 HRs, 26 RBIs, .336 AVG, .366 OBP. Put Maggs in center and Guillen in right.

Guillen was a top prospect way back when (I think with the Pirates). This guy has all the tools, would be a nice pickup.

Were gonna see borchard though and I'm excited for that. I hope he's playing today. My theory is all these guys with limited potential aren't doing crap so Borchard should be able to do what they do while developing into a pure stud.