Home Alone..

Steff

:headshake

http://cbs5.com/topstories/local_story_003162940.html

San Ramon Boys Left Alone, Parents In Las Vegas

Save It Email It Print It

(CBS 5) SAN RAMON It's a real-life case of Home Alone, only in this instance it's no movie -- and no one is laughing.

Police in San Ramon said two brothers, ages 5 and 9, were left home alone while their father and stepmother celebrated New Year's Eve in Las Vegas.

Officers found the children unharmed on Saturday after receiving a call from a concerned relative.

"I would say it's an unusual case for any type of jurisdiction," said San Ramon Police Sgt. Brian Kalinowski. "It's clearly inappropriate for a 9-year-old and a 5-year-old under any circumstance to be left alone, much less for several days while the parents allegedly ring in the New Year in las vegas."

The parents are expected to return to the Bay Area on Wednesday. Police plan to interview them. The district attorney will then decide of charges will be filed.

The boys were placed in the custody of county Child Protective Services and later released to their grandmother, according to authorities.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 08:57 AM)
:headshake

http://cbs5.com/topstories/local_story_003162940.html

San Ramon Boys Left Alone, Parents In Las Vegas

Save It  Email It  Print It

(CBS 5) SAN RAMON It's a real-life case of Home Alone, only in this instance it's no movie -- and no one is laughing.

Police in San Ramon said two brothers, ages 5 and 9, were left home alone while their father and stepmother celebrated New Year's Eve in Las Vegas.

Officers found the children unharmed on Saturday after receiving a call from a concerned relative.

"I would say it's an unusual case for any type of jurisdiction," said San Ramon Police Sgt. Brian Kalinowski. "It's clearly inappropriate for a 9-year-old and a 5-year-old under any circumstance to be left alone, much less for several days while the parents allegedly ring in the New Year in las vegas."

The parents are expected to return to the Bay Area on Wednesday. Police plan to interview them. The district attorney will then decide of charges will be filed.

The boys were placed in the custody of county Child Protective Services and later released to their grandmother, according to authorities.

The laws on kids being home alone are very vague.

I have a 9 and (just turned) 8-year-old that are sometimes home alone for an hour or so after they come home from school. It depends on my wife's work schedule.

I've always thought it depends on the child. If they understand to lock the door, don't answer the phone or the door (unless it's mom, dad or grandma) and know how to dial 9-1-1 there shouldn't be a problem.

I do agree that a 9-year-old is a little young to be taking care of a 5-year-old though. Especially for days at time...

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 11:02 AM)
The laws on kids being home alone are very vague.

If a law is needed to clarify for a parent that their kids shouldn't be left alone while they are in another state.. then they shouldn't be parents. I don't care how mature the 9 year old... or 10 year old.. or 11 year old... etc, etc..

JMO..

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 11:05 AM)
If a law is needed to clarify for a parent that their kids shouldn't be left alone while they are in another state.. then they shouldn't be parents. I don't care how mature the 9 year old... or 10 year old.. or 11 year old... etc, etc..

JMO..

But it was Vegas!...on New Years!

It is a shame that any s***bag loser can just be a parent.

It would be great if everyone had to go through the same screening that we had to go through to adopt. We had to have background checks, interviews with social workers, full disclosure of all finances, get fingerprinted, get a water quality report from our town, prove our dogs were vaccinated, and both get physicals.

If everyone had to do this before they could have a kid, there would be a lot less unwanted or abused children.