New Tejada News: O's reportedly make a proposal...

maggsmaggs

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 05:50 PM)
Cotts/Politte/Jenks/Hermanson alone doesn't convince me.

Add to the fact all three together (Uribe/Qualls/Baj) are nearly 1/3 the price of Tejada.

What'd the pen do for us in the ALCS?

How many saves did they have in the World Series? 2? One blown save on top of that. (Buehrle doesn't count as bullpen) I think our starters plus those guys you mention there are plenty.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 05:52 PM)
What'd the pen do for us in the ALCS?

How many saves did they have in the World Series? 2? One blown save on top of that. (Buehrle doesn't count as bullpen) I think our starters plus those guys you mention there are plenty.

I didn't know we automatically get a bye into the ALCS next year. Baseball has a LONG season. You know that well. You were slurping the Sox, throwing them over the ledge, and then slurping them again.

You need a solid bullpen for the haul.

QUOTE(palehose23 @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 04:34 PM)
vs. White Sox Pitching

Since when have the White Sox had great pitching before this season? If anything, your comment is supporting Tejada's lack of production in US Cellular Field. With that said I don't give a damn about that. Tejada is a monster.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 04:54 PM)
I didn't know we automatically get a bye into the ALCS next year.  Baseball has a LONG season.  You know that well.  You were slurping the Sox, throwing them over the ledge, and then slurping them again.

Yes, we have a pretty solid bullpen for those close games. In all aspects I wouldnt expect next year to be in so many 1 run games, especially if we added Tejada. Our run production will sky rocket. Worst case scenario we have Baj, and maybe another arm in the pen. How much worse can that be than Vizcaino and Shingo???

No doubt about it. Even if they do this Tejada deal, KW knows he needs bullpen help and he'll get it. In my book he has earned that level of trust.

BTW I am probably Ryan Sweeney's biggest backer on this website but I would do this deal 8 days a week. Tejada is a tremendous player, a special player.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 05:54 PM)
I didn't know we automatically get a bye into the ALCS next year.  Baseball has a LONG season.  You know that well.  You were slurping the Sox, throwing them over the ledge, and then slurping them again.

I really think bullpen is overrated. Why can't guys down there in the pen throw 200 innings like the starters? Our starters are going to go 6-7 innings each time out, so Cotts/Politte/Jenks/Hermanson plus a random "journeyman" or Baj, Munoz, whoever you want should be enough for the long haul. Plus, Jenks, Cotts, and Hermanson have all been starters on a professional level at one point so they are going to be able to eat up innings.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 04:51 PM)
Tejada/Cotts/Jenks/Polite/Hermanson/Baj

We're becoming a very expensive team with Tejada. It's not going down anytime soon with most under contract, or receiving arbitration raises.

I's not as if there's a few prospects from our depleted minors you expect to produce in a few years.

I didn't know this, but Uribe and Tejada are both from the same hometown Bani, Dominican Republic.

Here are their stats at 25 which are very similar:

Tejada - 622 AB, 31 HR, 113 RBI, .267 AVG, .326 OBP, .476 SLG

Uribe - 502 AB, 23 HR, 74 RBI, .283 AVG, .327 OBP, .506 SLG

Is Uribe just a few years away, or was 2004 his ceiling?

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 07:22 PM)
I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but in order to get Tejada, I'd have no problem with the Sox doing this trade.  I honestly believe Tejada is a massive upgrade over Uribe at the plate.

I might be inclined to agree with you fathom. At first I was thinking that was too much, but with proispects you never know if they will pan out. Plus the Sox might insist on someone else to go with Tejada like Bedard?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 04:56 PM)
Yes, we have a pretty solid bullpen for those close games.  In all aspects I wouldnt expect next year to be in so many 1 run games, especially if we added Tejada.  Our run production will sky rocket.  Worst case scenario we have Baj, and maybe another arm in the pen.  How much worse can that be than Vizcaino and Shingo???

Flash, this is why I dont think the bullpen is such a huge issue.

We're becoming a very expensive team with Tejada. It's not going down anytime soon with most under contract, or receiving arbitration raises.

I's not as if there's a few prospects from our depleted minors you expect to produce in a few years.

Why are you that worried about the expenses? It appears Reinsdorf and the group aren't and Williams is not either. The payroll has done nothing but go up the last several years. I will take a playoff caliber team and of course the World Series title.

Ownership is stepping up like we asked them to, and now we are worried about them spending too much money. I guess we have to worry about something?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 06:01 PM)
I mean, if we would add Tejada, does anyone see us being in nearly as many one run games???

Maybe one run innings, or one run per inning. I would say one run games would be cut in half. We also have to remember that Thome is already here.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 04:57 PM)
I really think bullpen is overrated. Why can't guys down there in the pen throw 200 innings like the starters? Our starters are going to go 6-7 innings each time out, so Cotts/Politte/Jenks/Hermanson plus a random "journeyman" or Baj, Munoz, whoever you want should be enough for the long haul. Plus, Jenks, Cotts, and Hermanson have all been starters on a professional level at one point so they are going to be able to eat up innings.

-Because a bullpen arm doesn't condition like a starter

-Because a bullpen arm may pitch several days in a row

Sure, our bullpen can pitch 200 innings--just don't expect Cotts/Politte/Jenks/Hermanson to pitch more than 2 times a week.

You can't overwork our remaining arms. No matter how valuable they may be, you need a Marte or Vizcaino to pitch occassionally. Are we just assuming everyone of our starters pitches 7 innings every game? Baj and Munoz are pure s***. Bajenaru throws a straight 90 mph fastball and a hanging slider, Munoz has an equally weeak fastball complimented with a lazy curveball. These pitchers won't cut it. I'm tired of our minor league pitchers. Everyones a bust until proven otherwise.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 04:47 PM)
If the trade goes down, where would Tejada bat in the order?  3rd? 

Pods

Gooch

Tejada

Konerko

Thome

Dye

AJ

Crede

Anderson

We still wouldnt have a #2 hitter. Ozzie wants to move Iguchi down in the order and Tejada swings at everything, so he wouldnt be good there either. It'd be nice if Anderson showed enough ability to move the runner over consistently, but it'll probably be Gooch again if we pick up Tejada.

The only way you send a pitching prospect AND Sweeney with Contreras and Uribe is that we either get 1/2 of Tejada's contract paid for or a reliever and a lower spect back.

Per reliever, I like this guy: John Parrish. The guy just looks like a bulldog pitcher. He had a good ERA last year but needs to work on cutting down on the walks.

Maybe a young guy like Brandon Erbe as a low spect.

He was a 3rd round pick last yr by Bal and is as inexperienced as Lumdsen. But, he is in Baseball America's top 10 Orioles prospects.

48Ks in 23.1 IP in rookie ball this year.

Not bad.

QUOTE(Adam G @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 06:06 PM)
We still wouldnt have a #2 hitter.  Ozzie wants to move Iguchi down in the order and Tejada swings at everything, so he wouldnt be good there either.  It'd be nice if Anderson showed enough ability to move the runner over consistently, but it'll probably be Gooch again if we pick up Tejada.

Tejada swings at everything? 83 K's in 654 ABs? You must be thinking of someone else, like Richie Sexson.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 05:58 PM)
I didn't know this, but Uribe and Tejada are both from the same hometown Bani, Dominican Republic.

Here are their stats at 25 which are very similar:

Tejada - 622 AB,  31 HR,  113 RBI,  .267 AVG,  .326 OBP,  .476 SLG

Uribe - 502 AB,  23 HR,  74 RBI,  .283 AVG,  .327 OBP, .506 SLG 

Is Uribe just a few years away, or was 2004 his ceiling?

You cant compare them at a certain age, Uribes numbers didnt get better the next year and Tejada continues to improve, besides he was with Oakland that year, and you cant say that they have the greatest hitting team out there. I would get rid of Uribe in a heartbeat, Tejada had a 971 fielding % this past year compared to Uribes 977, thats not a big dropoff, and if were losing Contreras who was a good pitcher towards the end of the season, and adding Mccarthy into the mix who is still young he is going to need lots of run support, Tejada can provide that.

QUOTE(Adam G @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 05:06 PM)
We still wouldnt have a #2 hitter.  Ozzie wants to move Iguchi down in the order and Tejada swings at everything, so he wouldnt be good there either.  It'd be nice if Anderson showed enough ability to move the runner over consistently, but it'll probably be Gooch again if we pick up Tejada.

Ozzie wanted to move Iguchi down to "let him loose" persay. I think Ozzie would change his mind with the power that would be supplied by Tejada/Pauly/Thome/Dye/AJ/Crede...Ozzie would be able to see Iguchi would be much more valuable in the 2 hole rather than the 7 hole.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 05:10 PM)
Tejada swings at everything?  83 K's in 654 ABs?  You must be thinking of someone else, like Richie Sexson.

He's probably just talking about him not walking much. Which is true, but who cares? Vladi swings at everything. Some hitters are able to hit everything.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 11:02 PM)
If the pitching falters, then you never know.

If the pitching falters, then adding Tejada would be the perfect addition. It's probably unlikely our starting pitching will be as good as it was last season. That's why it's so important to add some offense, and KW has done a great job with that so far.