New Tejada News: O's reportedly make a proposal...

maggsmaggs

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Adam G @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 06:53 PM)
Ever read Moneyball?  Beane used to call him Mr. Swing At Everything.  He hated Tejada.  He swings at everything, but he doesnt miss too often.  The count doesnt get worked very much with him at the plate.

I've read Moneyball. Where's the chapter about their playoff series victory, again? I may have missed it.

Since he's a genius, and obviously his methods have produced a World Series champion, we shouldn't touch Tejada. WWBD should be a braclet worn on the wrist of every GM.

And the second half of my post--?

Is your idea of replacing Marte/Vizcaino trading some prospect for another raw arm?

How do I know, I'm not the GM. They got Jenks off the scrap heap, that worked out. They have a habit of acquiring minor league pitchers who appear useless but are really on the cusp of contributing.

All I know is KW is in win now mode, he understands the need for bullpen help, the only thing I can say to you is be patient. What you might not think fits may utlimately fit very well. Guys will be available at the end of spring training too.

The more I think about it, the more it makes complete sense to add Tejada. The sox are in win now mode for the next few yrs, esp with their pitching. If they can upgrade at a key spot [ss, #3 hitter, an MVP type] without giving up too much, why not?

And it's not like the sox are trading away their entire future. They are keeping key young players locked in who won't let the sox get like the Cubs---old, bad or always injured

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 08:03 PM)
I've read Moneyball. Where's the chapter about their playoff series victory, again? I may have missed it.

Since he's a genius, and obviously his methods have produced a World Series champion, we shouldn't touch Tejada. WWBD should be a braclet worn on the wrist of every GM.

Beane has produced a WS Champion? When was that and in what league? The answer is never, unless you count Fantasy Baseball. Beane is way overrated, just like he was as a player/prospect. Granted he has made some nice player moves, but he has never won a World Series. Actually the A's have never even been to an ALCS under Beane. They have lost 4 ALDS. That is some consistent mediocrity.

The A's have also gotten worse every year for the last 4 years. So I don't see why this guy gets so much credit.

He lets Tejada get away and then the guy explodes. I guess he missed that one.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 07:31 PM)
Beane has produced a WS Champion?  When was that and in what league?  The answer is never, unless you count Fantasy Baseball.  Beane is way overrated, just like he was as a player/prospect.  Granted he has made some nice player moves, but he has never won a World Series.  Actually the A's have never even been to an ALCS under Beane.  They have lost 4 ALDS.  That is some consistent mediocrity.

The A's have also gotten worse every year for the last 4 years.  So I don't see why this guy gets so much credit.

He lets Tejada get away and then the guy explodes.  I guess he missed that one.

Sarcasm, brother.

Oh, and you may have tempered the Beane disciples with your numerous taunts and accusations of mediocrity. That is meant as sarcasm as well, but I may be wrong.....

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 08:38 PM)
Sarcasm, brother.

Oh, and you may have tempered the Beane disciples with your numerous taunts and accusations of mediocrity. That is meant as sarcasm as well, but I may be wrong.....

It was sarcasm on top of sarcasm on top of sarcasm. Like meat on top of meat on top of meat!

:)

Well, since I wasn't for Contreras/Uribe for Tejada, I'm certainly not for Contreras, Uribe, Sweeney and another prospect for Tejada. I think Contreras will sign an extension, and I'd much rather have him than Tejada in the postseason. Indeed, Contreras was the key to our entire postseason rotation. Not only was he more than a match for everyone he faced (his one loss stemmed from a fielding flaw, not a pitching flaw), but he set all the other matchups so the Sox had the advantage in those games too. Pitching, pitching, pitching ... is the key to the World Series.

If the Sox were in Boston's shoes, without a major league SS on the roster, I might feel differently. But Uribe at 25 is not only better defensively than Tejada (9.3 win shares v. 6.1 win shares), but his bat has the potential to be 80% of Tejada's, as this baseball reference comparison shows.

http://baseball-reference.com/friv/scomp.c...=age&compage=25

Juan Uribe 2001-2005 5 594 2138 286 561 113 30 63 280 125 408 .262 .305 .432 32 21 82

932 Miguel Tejada 1997-2001 5 612 2286 368 587 119 11 95 367 196 393 .257 .324 .443 32 18 99

And as I pointed out on the other thread on this subject, in the postseason last year, Uribe hit better than Tejada has in every playoff series except his first one.

My only other comment about the rumor is that it doesn't make sense. Why would the Sox offer MORE after Baltimore's other deals for Tejada fall apart?

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 09:12 PM)
If the Sox were in Boston's shoes, without a major league SS on the roster, I might feel differently.  But Uribe at 25 is not only better defensively than Tejada (9.3 win shares v. 6.1 win shares), but his bat has the potential to be 80% of Tejada's, as this baseball reference comparison shows.

http://baseball-reference.com/friv/scomp.c...=age&compage=25

Juan Uribe          2001-2005  5  594  2138  286  561 113  30  63  280  125  408  .262  .305  .432  32  21  82

932  Miguel Tejada      1997-2001  5  612  2286  368  587 119  11  95  367  196  393  .257  .324  .443  32  18  99

I posted this earlier:

Here are their stats at 25:

Tejada - 622 AB, 31 HR, 113 RBI, .267 AVG, .326 OBP, .476 SLG

Uribe - 502 AB, 23 HR, 74 RBI, .283 AVG, .327 OBP, .506 SLG

Strikingly similar stats at age 25, and they both are from the same hometown.

Strike up the Twilight Zone theme song.

if this is a legit rumor.

id believe well get one relief pitcher, mayb some prospect.

and im sure the pitching prospect is nothing much

remember in the past trades that Kenny williams has done, it was nothing like the proposed trade(s).

Orlando hernadez instead of garland for Vazquez.

The Jim Thome trade i beleive was a bit off.

etc.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 05:58 PM)
We scored plenty of runs in 02,  03 and 04.  We know how each of those season's ended.  I don't care who we add,  the strength of this team is the pitching staff.  If they fall off,  it doesn't matter how many runs we score.

How many division titles would we have one if we had the current pitching staff with that offense. I am sorry but when you are marching out a crappy 5th starter that is basically an automatic loss ever couple of games you arent going to win a division with that.

We had a bad offense for most of the year last year. We had a great pitching staff, great defense and a bad o. In the playoffs our O got hot at the right time. But to just say, well lets not get an upgrade to the O because we won last year is a bit short sited. Planning on Crede who hits at a .240 to .250 clip and Uribe who was so inconsistant they had to work with him over and over to get him to stop spinning like a tasmanian devil at the plate.

If we get Tejada and mix it in our lineup it becomes even better. We get something we didnt have at all last year, a proven .300 plus hitter who has power. He makes contact also, which means that when Pods and Gooch are on, Tejada will get the line moving. It also makes Konerko and Thome better.

How many times did we mess around with the 3 hole last year. It was a big problem spot. We can fix that and make our lineup more dangerous. We can also do this without hurting our pitching or our defense.

Its a great move if we can pull it off.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

"I made the call [to Baltimore] out of curiosity," Williams said. "Early on, there was no match from our end."

But that raises the question of why the White Sox wouldn't trade one of six starters—Contreras, Mark Buehrle, Jon Garland, Freddy Garcia, Javier Vazquez and McCarthy—to get a player like Tejada.

The answer: You never have enough starting pitching.

"The thing we relied on the most last year was pitching," Williams said. "And one of the reasons why [repeating] next year will be difficult is that we pushed ourselves to the limit [on innings] with pitching last year.

"I want the luxury that if we come out of spring training where if we have a guy who's not quite right, we don't have to push him. And I also want to ease McCarthy into the rotation. That will give us some insurance."

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 11:13 PM)
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

"The thing we relied on the most last year was pitching," Williams said. "And one of the reasons why [repeating] next year will be difficult is that we pushed ourselves to the limit [on innings] with pitching last year.

"I want the luxury that if we come out of spring training where if we have a guy who's not quite right, we don't have to push him. And I also want to ease McCarthy into the rotation. That will give us some insurance."

Kenny Williams is the best GM in baseball. I'm glad he's running the White Sox.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 07:03 PM)

What does that have to do with Tejada swinging at every pitch he sees?