1. 1. Who'd win....

• Chicago
    • Indianapolis

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jan 4, 2006 -> 08:37 PM)
Colts, even with Urlacher, we can't keep Indy to less than 20.  And we can't score more than 20 versus Indy's D.  Thus, Indy beats us.

That's the thing.

Yes, Chicago's D > Indy's D.

However, the Bears offense would make Indy's look Chicago-esque. I'd say the defenses would push.

And reading the Bears game threads all year, I don't think anyone would disagree with the Colts having a better offense.

I realize the Bears offense was much worse and the Bears defense had injuries but its hard to get the 04 beatdown in Soldier Field out of the head. I'm obviously not a Bears fan but I'm stunned how confident/cocky Bear fans that I know are about this team. It seems Bear fans think they will shut down Alexander with ease and steamroll their way through the NFC playoffs.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 01:27 AM)
I realize the Bears offense was much worse and the Bears defense had injuries but its hard to get the 04 beatdown in Soldier Field out of the head.  I'm obviously not a Bears fan but I'm stunned how confident/cocky Bear fans that I know are about this team. It seems Bear fans think they will shut down Alexander with ease and steamroll their way through the NFC playoffs.

I agree 100 % You are absolutely right! The Seahwaks are no match for the BEARS!

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 07:27 AM)
I realize the Bears offense was much worse and the Bears defense had injuries but its hard to get the 04 beatdown in Soldier Field out of the head.  I'm obviously not a Bears fan but I'm stunned how confident/cocky Bear fans that I know are about this team. It seems Bear fans think they will shut down Alexander with ease and steamroll their way through the NFC playoffs.

Well that defense was minus Mike Brown, Tillman, Urlacher, and Ogunleye not 2 mention even when healthy it was maybe a top 10 defense while the one we have now is prob the best in the NFL.

I dont think we will shutdown Alexander easy but I think we can beat any team in the NFC especially with Grossman giving us an actual passing game. A course we could very easily lose our first game and be out... but I think we make some noise.

Indy is obviously the favorite over us but they arent great enough that I wouldnt watch. I think we can beat them if Smith and Rivera play a smart game...A course id rather play anyone else including the Pats rather than play Indy.

You're all a bunch of citat-av-homer-simpson.jpg :P .

I'd actually give the Bears a chance against the Colts though. If you can stop Edgerrin James, at least it puts a bit more pressure on Peyton Manning to make plays, and you don't have to keep putting 8 men in the box all the time, not to mention the patented play - action isn't as effective.

And since the Bears are probably the best run - stuffing team in football, at least they've got something to work with. But of course, they have to get things working offensively. At least with Rex in at QB, there's a better chance now than what there was with Kyle Orton in.

I would say if they played right now, the Bears would have the edge. The Colts haven't played a meaningful game in a month, and the 1st team offense has not looked as good as they did earlier in the year.

Also, the Bears beat the Colts in the pre season and the Bears 1st team units were better than the Colts. Now I know everyone says the pre season doesn't count, and I know that, but the first half of that game was a nice preview with the 1st units in, and the Bears won.

Now the Bears Defense is better than they were then, and are fully healthy again. I remember watching the IND-JAX game, and Manning looked like he was very anxious. Then I saw the same thing in the SD loss where Manning was getting pressure all day long. The Bears Defense is better than both SD and JAX, so I would expect the same type of pressure.

So the game will be decided on the other side of the ball (CHI O vs IND D). If it was a Kyle Orton Offense, then Indy wins easily, but I feel that Grossman makes it a close game. Indy's D is good, but it is pretty easy when you have that Offense on the other side of the ball. Indy's Offense makes their Defense better.

Now if Indy plays a great game next week, then it shifts to them, but they haven't really showed that much in quite awhile.

Here's a shocker: the Colts fan says the Colts would win.

The Bears defense is the best in the league, but in the 13 games where the Colts actually played to win, the defense gave up an average of just under 14 points per game. The unit that would end up making the difference in this matchup would be the Colts offense, which is probably the best offensive unit in the NFL, and averaged 30 points in those same 13 games. The Colts have the best pass protection unit in the NFL, which would take away one of the Bears' major strengths, and since Lovie Smith came from Tampa Bay in the days of Tony Dungy, the Bears run almost the exact same defense as the Colts, so Manning will have seen pretty much every look the Bears have ahead of time in practice. Thus, I think he could beat even that defense for a significant amount of points, and I think the Bears' offense simply wouldn't be able to match the offensive output of the Colts.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 09:32 AM)
Indy's starting offense hasn't even played a quarter's worth of football since the Chargers game.  Of course they're not going to look as good as they did earlier in the year.

Thats my point, right now the Bears would win. If the Colts get sharp, they can't be beat, but if they are rusty like they are now, and the Bears D pressures Manning like SD and JAX did, then it is a new game.

Indy also seems to play teams at the right time. They played NE before they got hot. They played PIT the first week after Big Ben returns from injury, and they played JAX without Leftwich. In the CIN game, it seemed like the last team to score a TD was going to win.

The Bears have had so close games too, but they were winning with Kyle Orton.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 09:43 AM)
Thats my point, right now the Bears would win.  If the Colts get sharp, they can't be beat, but if they are rusty like they are now, and the Bears D pressures Manning like SD and JAX did, then it is a new game.

You were also putting stock into a meaningless, preseason game (kind of redundant). If you put stock into preseason, the Colts would have the first pick in the NFL draft.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 09:44 AM)
You were also putting stock into a meaningless, preseason game (kind of redundant).  If you put stock into preseason, the Colts would have the first pick in the NFL draft.

No, you missed the point. That is only if the 1st Units played the entire game for every preseason game, which they did not. However, the 1st Units played one half in the Bears/Colts game and the halftime score was 14-7 Bears. At least we got to see the teams actually match up on the field, regardless if it counted or not. In that matchup, the only live action, the Bears won.

I just still wouldn't put too much stock in it.

The same almost goes for the regular season, with the position Indy's been in the past few years. Yes, we beat NE pretty convincingly this regular season, but I'm still not very comfortable in another potential matchup with them.

These games are the ones that really matter.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 09:55 AM)
I just still wouldn't put too much stock in it. 

The same almost goes for the regular season, with the position Indy's been in the past few years.  Yes, we beat NE pretty convincingly this regular season, but I'm still not very comfortable in another potential matchup with them.

These games are the ones that really matter.

As long as Indy gets up early on any opponent, they will be hard to beat. That is when the DEF steps up and attacks. I think they scored a TD first in almost all of their wins, and the other team scored a TD first in their losses. So that seems like the key.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 10:07 AM)
As long as Indy gets up early on any opponent, they will be hard to beat.  That is when the DEF steps up and attacks.  I think they scored a TD first in almost all of their wins, and the other team scored a TD first in their losses.  So that seems like the key.

Actually, if you're going to base your plan of attack on the Colts losses this year, then you better make sure they aren't playing players that could play, they don't really need the game, and your team does really need the game. That's how they've been beaten this year.