1. 1. Who'd win....

• Chicago
    • Indianapolis

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Indy's offense has shown repeatedly that it is beatable if you're able to both get pressure on the QB and stop the run with your front 4-5 guys. That's what the Chargers did this year, that's been the 1 thing the Patriots did all those times, etc.

The Bears have a front 4 which can do exactly that. They can get pressure on manning and at the same time slow Edge down, which allows them to drop 6-7 guys into pass coverage so that Peyton can't just pick them apart.

The Bears might not be able to totally shut down the Colts (even the Pats and Chargers didn't do that) but they sure could slow them down.

The question then becomes...what can Grossman do against the Colts defense? And Honestly, my answer is: I don't have a clue. With Orton playing I think the Bears would lose, because the Colts have enough defense that they could stack 7-8 guys up front to slow the run, and they don't give up easy scores due to turnovers.

But with Grossman? Can Grossman push back a safety or two into deep pass coverage and let Jones and Benson get an extra .5-1 yard per carry? He very well could, and he very well could make some more accurate passes on 3rd down. But I don't know yet, I just haven't seen enough of him.

I would say 6-7 out of 10 times, the Colts win. The Colts have not faced the best defense in the NFL but all the same, the Bears have not faced the top offense in the league. It would have to be a well executed game by the Bears and with minimal mistakes. But since our defense fell to #2 because of the Minny game with all the backups, TB has the #1 D.The Bears beat the Bucs 13-10 (Keep in mind no defensive pts) under the helm of Kyle Orton. Rex Grossman is twice the QB of Orton. I think the Bears would have a good shot of scoring 20 on the Colts. But the defense would have to play it's best game. They would have to put pressure on Manning all game and contain Edge. If they played this weekend, I'd pick the Bears simply because the Colts haven't played a real game in like 3 weeks. But, if the Colts and Bears both made it to the Super Bowl, then obviously, the Colts turned it on, and I'd have to pick the Colts.

This weekend, I'd say 23-20 Bears.

Super Bowl, I'd say 34-17 Colts.

EDIT: And you CANNOT discout the fact that the Bears were winning 14-7 at halftime vs the Colts in the pre-season.

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 12:24 PM)
EDIT: And you CANNOT discout the fact that the Bears were winning 14-7 at halftime vs the Colts in the pre-season.

Dude, I'd say you can discount that very readily...the Colts were what, 0-5 in the preseason? Right before a 13 game regular season winning streak? Their offense didn't really get in gear for the first few games of the season either.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 04:29 PM)
Dude, I'd say you can discount that very readily...the Colts were what, 0-5 in the preseason?  Right before a 13 game regular season winning streak?  Their offense didn't really get in gear for the first few games of the season either.

I don't think you can discount it at all. It was 1st team vs 1st team. Record's mean nothing in pre-season, in any sport at that. And you also can't say "Well, their offense wasn't in gear." They didnt get any less practice or game-time than any other team. If you compare situations, then the Colts were "rusty" in the pre-season and you could onyl expect them to be "rusty" in the post-season after they havent played a real game in 3, soon to be 4, weeks. I don't think you can discount any head-to-head meetings.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 12:47 PM)
I don't think you can discount it at all. It was 1st team vs 1st team. Record's mean nothing in pre-season, in any sport at that. And you also can't say "Well, their offense wasn't in gear." They didnt get any less practice or game-time than any other team. If you compare situations, then the Colts were "rusty" in the pre-season and you could onyl expect them to be "rusty" in the post-season after they havent played a real game in 3, soon to be 4, weeks. I don't think you can discount any head-to-head meetings.

Every freaking team beat the Colts. It means jack. Just like our poor spring training record this year meant jack and if anyone based there predictions on how our starters looked against other starters (not just pitching, all the way around) you'd have picked us to finish with Detroit and KC.

In preseason you aren't doing a lot of the stuff you'd do in the regular season. Anyone in organized athletics knows that a lot of the time teams are working on specific stuff in exhibitions. I.E. Edge would get more than 6 carries a half.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 03:47 PM)

Do you put stock into spring training games too?

It's not any different.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 01:27 AM)
I realize the Bears offense was much worse and the Bears defense had injuries but its hard to get the 04 beatdown in Soldier Field out of the head.  I'm obviously not a Bears fan but I'm stunned how confident/cocky Bear fans that I know are about this team. It seems Bear fans think they will shut down Alexander with ease and steamroll their way through the NFC playoffs.

I hear a lot about Seattle, but who the hell has Seattle played?? Fact is when they played tough defenses they lost. With the Bears Defense they can beat ANYONE. Bottom Line. that goes for Seattle and Indy. I'm not saying the Bears are the better team and have more talent...I'm saying they could beat anyone on any given day. If the D chokes though, they are done. Where as Indy can have an off day on Defense and still win.

Sun 9/11 at Jacksonville L 14-26

Sun 9/18 Atlanta W 21-18

Sun 9/25 Arizona W 37-12

Sun 10/2 at Washington L 17-20

Sun 10/9 at St. Louis W 37-31

Sun 10/16 Houston W 42-10

Sun 10/23 Dallas W 13-10

bye

Sun 11/6 at Arizona W 33-19

Sun 11/13 St. Louis W 31-16

Sun 11/20 at San Francisco W 27-25

Sun 11/27 NY Giants W 24-21

Mon 12/5 at Philadelphia W 42-0

Sun 12/11 San Francisco W 41-3

Sun 12/18 at Tennessee W 28-24

Sat 12/24 Indianapolis W 28-13

Sun 1/1 at Green Bay L 17-23

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 04:41 PM)
13 people so far for the Bears, but not a lot of justification....

Maybe because they have the best defense in football? That will give them a chance in every game.

Not saying they would win, but that could be the angle some would take.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 04:44 PM)
Maybe because they have the best defense in football?  That will give them a chance in every game.

Not saying they would win, but that could be the angle some would take.

LOL...I'm just in this to hear some reasoning from the Bears fans.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 04:46 PM)
LOL...I'm just in this to hear some reasoning from the Bears fans.

Then that is the only possible reasoning.

#1 defense in the NFL keeps you in every game, and when an underdog hangs around in a game anything can happen.

Either that or because they have Jeff Blake, you pick.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 04:47 PM)
Then that is the only possible reasoning.

#1 defense in the NFL keeps you in every game, and when an underdog hangs around in a game anything can happen.

Either that or because they have Jeff Blake, you pick.

Who's better....Sorgi or Orton? :D

It's also the most dynamic offense they'd face.