The mets

iWiN4PreP

What do you guys think of this time?

I have a freind whos a mets fan. Hes pretty happy, tho i duno how smart he is at baseball.

Personally i dont like alot of the mets trades/agents, but i supposed its a big upgrade, for this year.

Lets see :

Delgado

Wagner

Bret Boone

Paul Lo Duca

I cant really think of more...

but i just wanted some more knowledge from people who would know more, i dont know alot about mets just that they had some major signings and such.

I personally like the Mets chances. All kinds of talent on that team up and down, really no weak spot in the lineup, very solid pitching staff, and a good pen. They appear to be back to spending tons of money, but atleast this year Minaya's bringing in good talent, with most of it being relatively young and good(as opposed to Mo Vaughn, Roberto Alomar, Roger Cedeno, Shawn Estes, and Jeff D'Amico that Steve Phillips tried to make work).

I like their chances of being pretty good next year and perhaps winning a weaker NL East.

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 12:10 AM)
Mets LineUp

Reyes    SS

Loduca    C

Beltran  CF

Delgado  1B

Floyd      LF

Wright    3B

Boone      2B

Nady        RF

Franco

Matsui

Castro

?

Glavine

Pedro

Benson

Zambrano

?

Wagner

Sanchez

?

?

The Mets could be contenders given Glavine has a good year. Benson and Zambrano are solid, but not difference makers by any means. However, with a line-up like that, they'll be able to hit over the mediocre starts those pitchers will have--though not many.

I guess the bullpen needs some work with only Wagner and Sanchez, but adding Billy Wagner will strengthen most bull pens. The only I don't think he would help are the White Sox, Yankees, and Astros (given that he was closer).

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 12:26 AM)
The Mets could be contenders given Glavine has a good year. Benson and Zambrano are solid, but not difference makers by any means. However, with a line-up like that, they'll be able to hit over the mediocre starts those pitchers will have--though not many.

I guess the bullpen needs some work with only Wagner and Sanchez, but adding Billy Wagner will strengthen most bull pens. The only I don't think he would help are the White Sox, Yankees, and Astros (given that he was closer).

IMO Wagner would help any bullpen in baseball, he is a top 5 closer

The Mets have almost certainly the best team on paper in the NL East. The only problem is...the Marlins probably had the best team on paper in the NL East last year, and that wasn't good enough for them to stop the Braves run.

If Bobby Cox can manage a team of mostly rookies, an injured star, and a battered pitching staff to the playoffs, what can he do when he gets a new shortstop and a bunch of 2nd year players? If that Braves pitching staff stays healthy, they'll be right there, the question remains their bullpen (and their pitching staff without Mazzone of course)

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 01:10 AM)
Mets LineUp

Reyes    SS

Loduca    C

Beltran  CF

Delgado  1B

Floyd      LF

Wright    3B

Boone      2B

Nady        RF

Franco

Matsui

Castro

?

Glavine

Pedro

Benson

Zambrano

?

Wagner

Sanchez

?

?

Jose Valentin is on the bench and Steve Traschel is in the rotation. Aaron Heilman will be in the bullpen if he isn't traded for Danys Baez.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 11:42 AM)
I still think they have alot more holes than can be covered up by signing big names.  Their pitching rotation, aside from Pedro, is still pretty damn weak.

That's been enough for the Yankees to win the AL East for several years. The Mets are also younger, which lets them afford more "Big name signings".

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 02:49 PM)
The pitching rotation is terrible though.

The Yankees had the #9 pitching staff in the AL last year by ERA, the Red Sox #11. The only teams worse than the Red Sox were the Rangers, Royals, and D Rays.

Last year the NY Mets were the 3rd best pitching staff in the NL based on ERA. Only St. Louis and Houston were better. They put up a lower ERA than the Nats, the Braves, the Marlins, the Cubs, etc. They had the 4th best WHIP in the NL. They had the 2nd best OPS against them.

Pedro Martinez-Tom Glavine-Kris Benson is a very good 1-3 punch in the NL East. The three of them give you innings and can be on their game almost every start. Even though Glavine is 39, he can still put up some good numbers. Not to mention that his home is Shea Stadium. Everyone knows what you’ll get from Pedro and Benson has some pretty good stuff.

The offense is one of the best in the NL, if not, in the ML. From top to bottom they’ll have men on base for Delgado, Beltran, and Wright.

QUOTE(Yoda @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 05:06 PM)
Pedro Martinez-Tom Glavine-Kris Benson is a very good 1-3 punch in the NL East. The three of them give you innings and can be on their game almost every start. Even though Glavine is 39, he can still put up some good numbers. Not to mention that his home is Shea Stadium. Everyone knows what you’ll get from Pedro and Benson has some pretty good stuff.

The offense is one of the best in the NL, if not, in the ML. From top to bottom they’ll have men on base for Delgado, Beltran, and Wright.

Meh, I'm not a huge fan of Benson. Seems to be a very mediocre pitcher to me with mediocre stuff. A good 4 or 5, but a so-so 3.

They'll be in the hunt for SP come deadline time in all likelyhood...it's just too bad they stripped about their entire minor league system bare to the bone, as they have virtually nothing to trade whatsoever.

QUOTE(Yoda @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 06:06 PM)

Benson is not that good and Glavine is way past his prime. Pedros great but Glavine-Benson as 2-3 starters is not very good. Their offense is very strong individually but well have to see how they produce together.

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 01:25 PM)
I think he signed a minor league deal but could win the starting job depending on how he does during spring training.

And depending on what they wind up doing with K. Matsui (has that been finalized yet?) Boone's a lot cheaper than Matsui, but may very well put up worse numbers.

QUOTE(rventura23 @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 03:21 PM)
Benson is not that good and Glavine is way past his prime.  Pedros great but Glavine-Benson as 2-3 starters is not very good.  Their offense is very strong individually but well have to see how they produce together.

Like I said, in the division that they’re in, NL East, Glavine and Benson isn’t bad. Unless Glavine starts to falter like Maddux has, then the Mets rotation won’t get much production. Glavine has still shown that he can go out there and post a pretty decent ERA. He’ll give you innings, he won’t strike out many, but he does get outs.

The Nats have a front rotation of L. Hernandez, John Patterson, and Tony Armas. Hernandez is a workhorse, but was hit hard in some of his starts last season and ended up with a high whip. The Phillies have Jon Lieber, Brett Myers, and Cory Liddle. Myers has some nasty stuff, but giving up the longball was a problem for him.

Only rotation that I believe could top the Mets are the Braves. Smoltz, Hudson, Sosa, Hampton, and Thomson. Jorge Sosa looked very impressive last season and he must show the organization that all of it was no fluke. Hampton and Thomson must stay healthy in order for the Braves to be competitive.

That’s how I see the rotations for the NL East. The division is a toss up between the Mets and the Braves. With the “big moves” that Omaya has done, they should stop the reign that Atlanta has had the past decade or so.