The mets

iWiN4PreP

I dunno. I happen to like the Nats rotation quite a bit, but a lot of that has to do with the park they're in. Hernandez-Patterson-Armas-Ortiz-Lawrence/Drese is pretty solid up and down, and they do have some depth in the rotation, which is a pretty big advantage. I think Ortiz is about ready to have a huge year in a great park for him to pitch in.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 10:38 PM)
I dunno.  I happen to like the Nats rotation quite a bit, but a lot of that has to do with the park they're in.  Hernandez-Patterson-Armas-Ortiz-Lawrence/Drese is pretty solid up and down, and they do have some depth in the rotation, which is a pretty big advantage.  I think Ortiz is about ready to have a huge year in a great park for him to pitch in.

Well, if you want to judge a starting rotation in the NL East (or the pitching staff as a whole) do to the park that they’re pitching in, than every team might have a plus because home field can be an advantage.

The Braves have Turner Field, The Mets have Shea Stadium, The Nats (like you’ve mentioned already) have Kennedy Stadium, and even the Marlins play in a pitchers park, Dolphin Stadium. But we all know that the Marlins won’t be competing this season. That only leaves the Phillies who play in Citizens Bank Park, which can be a good extra base-hit park for some hitters.

Pretty good parks for some pitcher’s to pitch in if you ask me.

Now regarding your assessment of Ramon Ortiz, I agree. He had a good year back in 02 with the Halos. I remember seeing him with a pretty good slider, but somehow he still hasn’t put it together since. IMO, he can be a solid starter.