Tejada not coming here, whew.

LosMediasBlancas

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 10:26 AM)
Looks like a smoke screen.  That is the obvious answer and the politically correct one.  This keeps the Sox with the edge in any bargaining.

Agreed. Imagine if he said "Yes, we really need/want Tejada." Then Baltimore could ask for the moon.

Edited by whitesoxfan13

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 10:32 AM)
The key here to me is this statement.

''That's not going to happen,'' Williams said, confirming that the Orioles did call this week. "'We were told there wasn't a fit.''

That to me sounds like Baltimore was the one to say no to the Sox.

Or it might mean, "Lower your demands, then we got a deal!"

For what it's worth, the guy at mlbtraderumors.com, commenting about Van Dyck's article, said it was "interesting". Also said he had more info on the dialogue between the White Sox and Orioles, was in the process of confirming the info, and would likely post something later today (Thursday).

Again, for what it is worth.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 11:35 AM)
For what it's worth, the guy at mlbtraderumors.com, commenting about Van Dyck's article, said it was "interesting".  Also said he had more info on the dialogue between the White Sox and Orioles, was in the process of confirming the info, and would likely post something later today (Thursday).

Again, for what it is worth.

in other words, he has to scour the message boards for more rumors and "info"

in other words, he has to scour the message boards for more rumors and "info"

I realize guys like him are big targets (especially on this site), as are people like Levine, Offman, etc.

Either all of them are great creative writers, storytellers, and outright liars, or there is some element of truth in what they state.

Personally I don't believe they just make s*** up, but that is only my opinion. The problem is that people on this site expect them to be 100% correct. The baseball business is full of discussions of this nature ... agents are calling GM's and asst. GM's all the time, GM's talk about players constantly, the players association is involved a lot, etc.

There is a lot of chatter out there and before someone says "but ... but ... but ... he just goes around to message boards ..." bear in mind they are media and what they say could in reality be totally off base 5 minutes after it's said/printed. Meaning, they may have good info but something changes and 5 minutes later it's bad info. The baseball business moves that fast.

I had a random thought while coming in today, it's probably way out there but hey it's just an idea.

According the Sun-Times:

Third baseman Joe Crede, who emerged as a key performer during the Sox' postseason run, is the only player still eligible for arbitration. Crede likely will end the team's successful stretch of avoiding arbitration hearings. The only Sox player to go to arbitration since 1998 was former closer Keith Foulke before the 2001 season.

Crede, who earned $400,000 while hitting .252 with 22 homers and 62 RBI during the 2005 regular season, is represented by agent Scott Boras. Former agent Dennis Gilbert, a special assistant to chairman Jerry Reinsdorf, is handling negotiations for the Sox, who have had a testy relationship with Boras in recent years.

''I'm not optimistic we will get a deal done, and I'm not pessimistic we will get a deal done,'' Williams said.

So if there is any kind of Tejada deal, maybe the Sox would just as well trade Crede and move Uribe to third.

As for the Orioles, Melvin Mora's played SS in the past, plus he's eligible for free agency after the season so who knows what the their plans our for him.

Just an idea.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 12:05 PM)
I realize guys like him are big targets (especially on this site), as are people like Levine, Offman, etc.

Either all of them are great creative writers, storytellers, and outright liars, or there is some element of truth in what they state.

Personally I don't believe they just make s*** up, but that is only my opinion.  The problem is that people on this site expect them to be 100% correct.  The baseball business is full of discussions of this nature ... agents are calling GM's and asst. GM's all the time, GM's talk about players constantly, the players association is involved a lot, etc. 

There is a lot of chatter out there and before someone says "but ... but ... but ... he just goes around to message boards ..." bear in mind they are media and what they say could in reality be totally off base 5 minutes after it's said/printed.  Meaning, they may have good info but something changes and 5 minutes later it's bad info.  The baseball business moves that fast.

Have you seriously read any of his archives? Anything he does say is said ahead of time some where else online. It might just be a coincidence afterall though...

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 12:41 PM)
I had a random thought while coming in today, it's probably way out there but hey it's just an idea.

According the Sun-Times:

So if there is any kind of Tejada deal, maybe the Sox would just as well trade Crede and move Uribe to third.

As for the Orioles, Melvin Mora's played SS in the past, plus he's eligible for free agency after the season so who knows what the their plans our for him.

Just an idea.

Considering the concern with Crede's back and Baltimore's reluctance to sign or trade for players with the slightest health question, I would be shocked if they were interested in him.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 11:06 AM)
Considering the concern with Crede's back and Baltimore's reluctance to sign or trade for players with the slightest health question, I would be shocked if they were interested in him.

And yet they asked about Prior? And traded for Sosa? And don't want to trade Bedard?

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 5, 2006 -> 10:01 AM)

Is the person or people that run mlbtraderumors.com from Chicago or are they a national site? I ask because most of the stuff I read on there pertains to Chicago baseball and the latest thing on there has Baltimore offering Tejada for Contreras, Uribe, Sweeny and Woodson.

Is the person or people that run mlbtraderumors.com from Chicago or are they a national site?  I ask because most of the stuff I read on there pertains to Chicago baseball and the latest thing on there has Baltimore offering Tejada for Contreras, Uribe, Sweeny and Woodson.

I don't know where it came from, but, I'd jump on that deal if I'm the Sox!