Tejada News Part 3

nitetrain8601

I don't think I've ever seen a trade rumor at Rotoworld in which they didn't also list a link to the newspaper they found it at.  And I check Rotoworld A LOT.  They also post rumors from guys like Bruce Levine and other radio sources.

You are right. Newspaper rumors.

You do know this guy is a part of Rotoworld, yes?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, key words are:

"look for"

He also subsequently states that an option is the announcement, at whatever time, might be the Orioles keep him.

Things change, you know that better than anyone.  After all, here you are posting again.  :D

"Look for an announcement by Friday about Tejada" means exactly that. And it didn't happen. I'm reading it properly.

"Look for an announcement by Friday about Tejada" means exactly that.  And it didn't happen.  I'm reading it properly.

Let me think about this.

Is "look for" a different statement than "you will definiely see".

I think it is, maybe that's just me.

Because you appear to lend credence to newspaper rumors and Rotoworld rumors but not to this guy's site.

And Rotoworld rumors and newspaper rumors are of the same ilk.

Sometimes I think people on this site get pissed about rumors from (plug in the source here) that don't happen as stated because they want something to happen.

Edited by JimH

Let me think about this.

Is "look for" a different statement than "you will definiely see".

I think it is, maybe that's just me.

I guess there's really nothing to argue. This guy may actually have good sources or he may just be making stuff up. None of us can really know for certain unless you are friends with this guy. Some people will believe that he has sources and some won't.

I guess there's really nothing to argue.  This guy may actually have good sources or he may just be making stuff up.  None of us can really know for certain unless you are friends with this guy.  Some people will believe that he has sources and some won't.

Exactly, yes.

By the way my buddy quickman will not be weighing in on this debate.

Seems he thought he was 22 all over again, played raquetball tonite and badly messed up his ankle ... hospital visit and everything.

So if he happens to make even less sense than usual in the coming days ... if that's possible ... it's the drugs. :bang

Because you appear to lend credence to newspaper rumors and Rotoworld rumors but not to this guy's site. 

And Rotoworld rumors and newspaper rumors are of the same ilk.

I buy that newspapers actually may have some sources, but not always. But it's hard for me to buy the fact that some guy I have never even heard of has sources. But then again, Phil Rogers does come up with some crazy bulls*** trade scenarios. :bang

Sometimes I think people on this site get pissed about rumors from (plug in the source here) that don't happen as stated because they want something to happen.

I agree with you there. It goes along with people not wanting certain trade rumors to be true because they don't want the Sox acquiring so-and-so player.

But then again, Phil Rogers does come up with some crazy bulls*** trade scenarios.

Him, I have met. He lives near me, great guy. My sense is he gets most of his info 2nd hand ... from beat reporters.

Can't say for sure though, and that's my basic premise.

Him, I have met.  He lives near me, great guy.  My sense is he gets most of his info 2nd hand ... from beat reporters. 

Well, I don't know how good his sources are. I was referring to his Sam Smith-esque trade scenarios. That 4-team trade he proposed involving the White Sox, Red Sox, Cubs, and Orioles was insane. :wacko:

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 03:19 AM)
Guess what, you're wrong.  Stick to the game threads.

There's other opinions in this world, besides mine and yours, that could be right or wrong. You stick to your opinions, and I'll stick to mine.

As for the mlbtraderumors.com site, I think it's a bunch of BS. Guys like Levine and Offman are much more credible than this site, as they're not influenced by message boards, etc. I have no beef with Levine, just that he really doesn't seem to get a lot of inside information from the Sox these days. I think that has a lot to do with how KW is trying to fly under the radar after the Vizquel situation.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 05:12 AM)
Him, I have met.  He lives near me, great guy.  My sense is he gets most of his info 2nd hand ... from beat reporters. 

Phil Rogers does have a lot of inside contacts, but I also think he knows he's in the business of selling newspapers. He comes up with rumors, which are just that....speculation about what might happen. There's a big difference between the trade proposals Rogers brings up compared to some "inside" people saying that something is definitely going to happen. Personally, I always find Rogers' articles very intriguing.

Latest News Jan. 6, 2006 - 11:56 pm et

Two sources confirmed to the Philadelphia Inquirer that the Phillies have offered Bobby Abreu for Miguel Tejada. However, the Phillies have learned that Tejada isn't interested in playing third base.

Tejada doesn't have no-trade protection, but if he lands in a situation he doesn't like, he could demand a trade following the season and become a free agent if he isn't granted one. The Inquirer suggests that if the hurdles could somehow be worked out, the Phillies could also ask Baltimore for LaTroy Hawkins while surrendering either Robinson Tejeda or Gavin Floyd in a deal. However, it's unlikely that anything will materialize here.

Source:  Philadelphia Inquirer

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. JimH has his s*** together.

Let's break down what a baseball style rumor actually consists of. It consists of bits and pieces of information that are put together, sometimes with a little logic thrown in that can lead to a speculated conclusion. There were rumors that the Sox and O's were talking about a Tejada deal. That rumor turned out to be true. KW said he called and inquired about Tejada. Does that mean a trade happened, or was imminent? No. But, what happens when the rumor first comes out, people will start looking for a possible matchup that makes sense for both teams. That is called speculation. Somebody publishes that speculation and all of a sudden you have a full blown hot trade rumor going on. This exact scenario happens in Soxtalk constantly and I don't consider the posters here to be full of BS. This guy at mlbtraderumors does the same type of thing. He's takes all his bits and pieces of info, speculates and offers possibilities. He just puts all his stuff on one easy to access website which provides a service to any baseball fan that wants to utilize it.

I, like JimH, thinking bashing this guy is ridiculous.

I think the reality of that site that we're all talking about is probably something like this...he's pulling stuff off of every source he can get, and using lower levels of credibility than people who have to say report to a news desk. That means that a lot of the stuff he reports is either going to be plants or it is going to be random rumors which arise somewhere.

But, as we all know, every so often, even at a message board, or on the radio, or somewhere along the line, someone may very well leak something which is true. It won't happen very often, but when you fire enough shots, eventually one of them may hit the target.

This guy will be right eventually. He'll be wrong a lot too, but so will we. But eventually, he'll get something right, and it's up to all of us whether we want to bother thinking about whether or not we want to care about all the times he isn't right.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 01:41 AM)
I think the reality of that site that we're all talking about is probably something like this...he's pulling stuff off of every source he can get, and using lower levels of credibility than people who have to say report to a news desk.  That means that a lot of the stuff he reports is either going to be plants or it is going to be random rumors which arise somewhere.

But, as we all know, every so often, even at a message board, or on the radio, or somewhere along the line, someone may very well leak something which is true.  It won't happen very often, but when you fire enough shots, eventually one of them may hit the target.

This guy will be right eventually.  He'll be wrong a lot too, but so will we.  But eventually, he'll get something right, and it's up to all of us whether we want to bother thinking about whether or not we want to care about all the times he isn't right.

I agree with you. But, for an example, let's look at the 4 team trade that Rogers wrote about. That wasn't a rumor, per se. It was merely speculation on his part as something that could make sense to all involved. Yet, he's a columnist for a major newspaper and a columnist for a major sports network/publisher. What this guy at mlbtraderumors does is no more "out there" than what Rogers did here.