Recruiting Thread

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 07:12 PM)
I'm not going to say it's true, but the sources this came from mean it's more than just hearsay and somebody throwing crap on the wall and hoping it sticks.  As for Bruce, Simeon has a kid named Tim Flowers who I know we are at least evaluating right now, and Bruce was seen talking to him, not Rose, after the game last night (and that's not hearsay, it's direct info from somebody that was at the game).

hmm. i heard differently. i heard from a friend of mine who went that he saw weber and didn't see weber speak with anyone. i'm not sure he is even allowed to speak with recruits right now.

i'm also very skeptical of flowers as a big-time recruit. but who knows.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 03:46 PM)
hmm. i heard differently. i heard from a friend of mine who went that he saw weber and didn't see weber speak with anyone. i'm not sure he is even allowed to speak with recruits right now.

i'm also very skeptical of flowers as a big-time recruit. but who knows.

I'm pretty sure coaches and recruits cannot talk in public during game days. Its a recruiting violation

Ok, I have more info about the Rose situation from Eric Bossi, a Kansas/Scout.com basketball guru. He posted this on InsideCarolina.com about the situation, and he would know as well as anyone.

"Here's what is happening. There is a rumor circulating that somebody close to Rose had a meeting with Bruce Weber and let him know that if Illinois wanted to sign Derrick that it would take X amount of dollars. Upon hearing this, Weber supposedly got up and left the room.

There is no factual basis for this rumor but it didn't stop it from spreading like wildfire.

Rose hasn't dropped Illinois and Weber and assistant Tracy Webster were both at his game yesterday. "

He also stated that the rumor came from somebody that is "habitually" wrong. So take it all with a grain of salt about Rose for now.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 05:33 PM)
Ok, I have more info about the Rose situation from Eric Bossi, a Kansas/Scout.com basketball guru. He posted this on InsideCarolina.com about the situation, and he would know as well as anyone.

"Here's what is happening. There is a rumor circulating that somebody close to Rose had a meeting with Bruce Weber and let him know that if Illinois wanted to sign Derrick that it would take X amount of dollars. Upon hearing this, Weber supposedly got up and left the room.

There is no factual basis for this rumor but it didn't stop it from spreading like wildfire.

Rose hasn't dropped Illinois and Weber and assistant Tracy Webster were both at his game yesterday. "

He also stated that the rumor came from somebody that is "habitually" wrong. So take it all with a grain of salt about Rose for now.

If this rumor is true, good for Bruce. I dont care how good a player is, I dont want to see Illinois get involved in drity recruiting.

Hopefully Bossi is correct on this one and the Illini are still very much in the running as it would be very nice for Weber to land the top player in the state.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 03:56 PM)
Nice, although I gotta go with Pearl #1.

I have Pearl and Thompson lapping the field, and went with Thompson since he's in the Big East and Pearl is in the far inferior SEC. Lame tiebreaker I know, but I had to come up with something. Also, I'm sure the older Illini fans would call this evil, and mind you I don't remember the Pearl/Illinois stuff at all, but if Pearl is some sort of demon, he's a hell of an actor. He is obviously a hell of an in game coach, he's recruiting well (although it's the SEC, so who wouldn't with those academic standards?) and although he's a bit of a hot head, I mean he's not Bobby Knight or anything. Even if he did f*** up a lot with the Illinois thing (not sure exactly if he did or didn't), maybe that time in coaching exile changed him a little bit.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 05:33 PM)

Ok, I have no problem with your post and hell, it might all be true. But first, the site that guy is a guru from is going to be as anti Illinois as possible, since those Kansas people all hate us, and the 2nd bolded part is 100 percent wrong. The guys who started this rumor have started ones in the past that more often than not were true. And they aren't the only ones talking about this, just the most prominent ones since they are big time members on the Illini Rivals site.

But of course, also take that with a grain of salt. :cheers

Granted, Kansas fans and Illini fans don't get along. But KU and UNC fans aren't exactly best friends either. This guy, Bossi, is a class act and keep his biases aside. Which can't be said for alot of guru's out there, but Bossi is one. Bossi, Rob Harrington, and Dave Telep are just about the only 3 "gurus" that I completely trust.

Anyways, its all heresay right now, so we will see what comes of it. I hope its not true, as Derick is a special player, and a good person, hopefully nobody ruins it.

Vidal Hazelton ends up picking USC afterall. Very odd situation, PSU's fans giving him love on his visit actually really hurt their chances. His father was quoted as saying they really wanted a quiet visit to PSU to make their final choice, and word got out about his visit and made a big show of it.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 06:02 PM)
Ok, I have no problem with your post and hell, it might all be true.  But first, the site that guy is a guru from is going to be as anti Illinois as possible, since those Kansas people all hate us, and the 2nd bolded part is 100 percent wrong.  The guys who started this rumor have started ones in the past that more often than not were true.  And they aren't the only ones talking about this, just the most prominent ones since they are big time members on the Illini Rivals site.

But of course, also take that with a grain of salt.  :cheers

KU fans dont hate Illinois, they hate us..

Bossi is fantastic i agree.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 10:38 PM)
4 star 2007 wing player Darquavis Tucker of Michigan has Illinois, Louisville, and Michigan State as his 3 favorites (per rivals).

I'm surprised MSU is still on his list with all the wing players they already have received commits from in that class.

if you are really into basketball recruiting, or in high school basketball in general, this is a pretty cool link. this site has video (some of it pretty damn good) of high school games this year. some pretty good teams and players to see.

media page

http://www.mlive.com/preps/aanews/index.ss...ll=2&thispage=1

Earlier in the day, University of Illinois assistant coach Tracy Webster had visited Belleville, leaving behind this very important message: A scholarship to play for the team ranked No. 10 in the latest Associated Press poll would be his if Freeman could fulfill all of the NCAA eligibility requirements.

Toward that goal, Freeman had taken the first part of the ACT test that afternoon. In his previous attempt, a few months ago, Freeman had scored a 19 in math, but had been short of the minimum 17 on the verbal portion.

He wants to go to Illinois, which he feels is a better fit for him as a player than Michigan State and Memphis, his other two front-runners.

Great Leon Freeman news (although not surprising), hopefully he qualifies.

The Illini also recently offered E'Twaun Moore (class of 2007 combo guard). He is 6'3, 170 and the #71 player (4 star) in 2007 according to Rivals. Sorry, no linky for this one, but here is his profile on O&B (hasn't updated him to having been offered yet by Illinois though). His 2 clear favorites are Purdue and Illinois by all accounts, and he is a top priority if the Derrick Rose talk is indeed true (which it is IMO).

http://illinois.rivals.com/viewprospect.as...=2&pr_key=29620

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 08:04 PM)
http://www.mlive.com/preps/aanews/index.ss...ll=2&thispage=1

Great Leon Freeman news (although not surprising), hopefully he qualifies.

The Illini also recently offered E'Twaun Moore (class of 2007 combo guard).  He is 6'3, 170 and the #71 player (4 star) in 2007 according to Rivals.  Sorry, no linky for this one, but here is his profile on O&B (hasn't updated him to having been offered yet by Illinois though).  His 2 clear favorites are Purdue and Illinois by all accounts, and he is a top priority if the Derrick Rose talk is indeed true (which it is IMO).

http://illinois.rivals.com/viewprospect.as...=2&pr_key=29620

having never seen freeman play i can't really comment on his ability, but the second-hand information i've read suggests he's a very good player who could contribute immediately for illinois. this would be a very nice addition to next year's class.

also of note, illinois has reportedly offered '07 wing evan thomas out of st. joseph's high school.

as for rose, i will just wait and see. i have heard people reporting things all over the board. in some cases people with legitimate sources who i trust have said the exact opposite things regarding rose to illinois. we'll just have to wait and see on that. i will say that after seeing some of the video of rose's performance in the city title game there is no doubt in my mind the kid is going to be a great player wherever he goes.

Things are going to be really interesting for Illinois if they can't get Rose. They could really use a good, young PG, and it seems like the majority of the other potential instant impact PG's are either committed elsewhere or not interested in Illinois. It could be really rough for them if Frazier is the starting PG for the next 2 or 3 years.

Things are going to be really interesting for Illinois if they can't get Rose. They could really use a good, young PG, and it seems like the majority of the other potential instant impact PG's are either committed elsewhere or not interested in Illinois. It could be really rough for them if Frazier is the starting PG for the next 2 or 3 years.

I wouldn't worry about it just yet. There is still plenty of time for late bloomers and kids to show their stuff this summer and fly up the rankings. Rose isn't going to be knocked out of the top PG spot by anyone though, he's nasty.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Feb 28, 2006 -> 04:43 PM)
I wouldn't worry about it just yet. There is still plenty of time for late bloomers and kids to show their stuff this summer and fly up the rankings. Rose isn't going to be knocked out of the top PG spot by anyone though, he's nasty.

He won't get knocked out because he isn't the top PG. OJ Mayo is. And don't give me anything about him being a combo guard. He's just a big PG.

i've seen o.j. twice. i would describe him as more of a combo guard than point probably. he does normally bring the ball upcourt, but they do have other guys who do from time to time. he scores a lot, and will probably be asked to shoulder more of a scoring burden since ellis got kicked off the team. really, though, i think he could be a pure point guard or a two guard and do either equally well.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 11:37 AM)
i've seen o.j. twice. i would describe him as more of a combo guard than point probably. he does normally bring the ball upcourt, but they do have other guys who do from time to time. he scores a lot, and will probably be asked to shoulder more of a scoring burden since ellis got kicked off the team. really, though, i think he could be a pure point guard or a two guard and do either equally well.

:)

Mayo will play PG in college and will play PG in the NBA, just like Chris Paul. I guess Chris Paul isn't a PG though.

This depends on your defintion of "combo guard". Usually, a combo guard is a guy who's about 6'3 190, a bit of a tweener who's not really big enough to play the 2, but doesn't have the ball handling ability to run the point (aka combo guard is a put down). Mayo is a combo guard, but calling him that is a compliment, as he's big enough to play the 2 and also a good enough ball handler to run the point.