Recruiting Thread

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 11:47 PM)
He's definitely got a chance but man..college basketball is going to be so up next year compared to this year in terms of the talent level.

Yep. 2005 was a damn good year, this year was a transition year overall (SEE: Final Four teams) but next year the sport will be back with a vengeance.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 11:54 PM)
So who's the pre-season #1?  I know it's too early,  but predictions are so fun.

UNC and tOSu will be your top 2, not sure in which order yet though. After that it gets interesting, but there is going to be a lot of very young and very good teams though.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 11:54 PM)
So who's the pre-season #1?  I know it's too early,  but predictions are so fun.

Way to early, all depends on who stays and who leaves. UNC or Florida would be my guess though.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 11:59 PM)
Yeah some of these other teams such as Florida and Texas depend on who stays and who doesn't.  Kansas will be in the top 5 just because they have everybody coming back and more talent coming in, but we'll see what Self does with it.

I really believe Noah is going to stay so all they're going to have to worry about imo is Horford.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 30, 2006 -> 12:01 AM)
I really believe Noah is going to stay so all they're going to have to worry about imo is Hortford.

If they both stay, Florida is preseason top 5 no doubt. I would be shocked if they both stay, and wouldn't be too surprised if both left. This draft is so weak so anybody that did anything in this tournament is a risk to leave.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 30, 2006 -> 12:02 AM)
If they both stay, Florida is preseason top 5 no doubt.  I would be shocked if they both stay, and wouldn't be too surprised if both left.  This draft is so weak so anybody that did anything in this tournament is a risk to leave.

Noah really seems passionate about staying so I really do believe he's going to stay. Horford would be a bit of a later first round pick so he might stay as well, who knows.

Yay, ISU Daily reports Cory Johnson reconfirms that he's coming to ISU, and it sounds like Lawerence Westbrook is gonna do the same.

Two pretty prolific scorers. Johnson is like top 5 in Minnesota history, and Westbrook averaged over 40 points a game as a junior. Hopefully prep school taught him how to pass.

I'm thinking Johnson may end up being Greg Brunner with much better hair.

CORYJOHNSON7_14200.JPG

Obviously a lot of the poll depends on who stays and who goes. Here's how I see it:

I think Texas is definitely the pre-season #1 if Aldridge comes back. Adding Durant to that group almost doesn't seem fair. If Aldridge goes, they drop quite a bit, probably to a borderline top 10 team in my book.

I'd put LSU next. Besides the fact that virtually everyone on this team in an underclassmen, Tack Minor, who would have been their starting PG, should be back from injury, and Dameon Mason, a transfer from Marquette, will be eligible. They'll be very big and very deep, even at the guard spots. Even if Thomas goes I think they're a top 5 team.

I'd put Florida next, although they drop to about the same spot as Texas if one of their frontcourt players goes. I'd actually put them below Texas if that were to happen because there's a major dropoff from their starters and they don't get as much help from their recruits. If everyone comes back, they'll be very good.

Kansas comes in next in my poll. They seem to be less vulnerable to the pros right now. I like the post options better on the teams above them though.

UCLA rounds out my current top 5. Everyone should be back, and a healthy Josh Shipp gives them another pretty solid wing player.

I've got UNC and OSU just below those teams. The major reason for that is they're depending pretty heavily on freshmen, and it's a little hard to guage their impact. Oden will definitely be good, but it's hard to say if one of their other guys will be an impact player or not. They probably need one of the other guys to step up to really kick ass, although Butler, Lewis, and Oden should definitely be enough to win the Big Ten. UNC has better depth than them, but again, they need one of the freshmen or sophmores to step up and be a big time player. Terry and Hansbrough are solid, but I don't think they can do it alone. Obviously those two teams have the potential to do better, but they're depending on some unknowns, so I personally feel I have to dock them a little.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

I've got UNC and OSU just below those teams. The major reason for that is they're depending pretty heavily on freshmen, and it's a little hard to guage their impact. Oden will definitely be good, but it's hard to say if one of their other guys will be an impact player or not. They probably need one of the other guys to step up to really kick ass, although Butler, Lewis, and Oden should definitely be enough to win the Big Ten. UNC has better depth than them, but again, they need one of the freshmen or sophmores to step up and be a big time player. Terry and Hansbrough are solid, but I don't think they can do it alone. Obviously those two teams have the potential to do better, but they're depending on some unknowns, so I personally feel I have to dock them a little.

UNC has Wes Miller and Reyshawn Terry as the senior leaders. Both guys contributed heavily to this years squad. UNC returns 81% of their scoring, 77% of their rebounding, 78% of their assists etc. Don't forget that Reyshawn Terry has been making tremendous strides the past two years in the offseason as well. UNC will be adding 3 top 10 players, 1 top 25 player, 1 top 50 player, and 1 top 100 player to the class. UNC will be atleast 2 deep at every position on the floor.

Most importantly, UNC will have 4 options at PG, and 4 options in the post, not including Michael Copeland at PF who came on strong at the end of the year in limited minutes. Teams will be run to death this year by Roy, who will have 12 legitimate options to throw in the game.

I'll admit I'm being more conservative than most with UNC and OSU. They can still move into my top 5 with ease once some of these guys declare. I'd just like to see them play a bit before I move them that far up. I'm sure Cook and/or Lighty will be fairly solid on the wing, and that UNC will get decent production from a Lawson/Ellington/Frazier/Green/Ginyard backcourt (I personally doubt Miller sees as much time this year with the increased talent level), and that Wright will help up front, but I don't want to give them too much credit just yet.

Quick question on LSU...do they have any guards coming in next year? This year it seems Darrel Mitchell is really the only long range shooting threat they have. Minor coming back will be a big boost, but I'm just curious as to what they might find in the shooting department.

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Mar 31, 2006 -> 08:45 PM)
Quick question on LSU...do they have any guards coming in next year?  This year it seems Darrel Mitchell is really the only long range shooting threat they have.  Minor coming back will be a big boost, but I'm just curious as to what they might find in the shooting department.

Dameon Mason is eligible as a transfer from Marquette. He's a 6'5" 190 pound SG that will be eligible as a junior. He was a starter there for two years, averaging 9 points as a freshmen and 11.9 as a sophomore.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Apr 1, 2006 -> 04:48 PM)
Dameon Mason is eligible as a transfer from Marquette. He's a 6'5" 190 pound SG that will be eligible as a junior. He was a starter there for two years, averaging 9 points as a freshmen and 11.9 as a sophomore.

Ahh man I forgot all about Mason. He's a solid player and will help LSU.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 04:51 PM)
Self was in Chicago today.. I wonder if he is visiting Deandre Thomas or Derrick Rose, who he is all over now.

He can visit Rose all he wants, but he better have a suitcase full of cash if he wants him to consider KU. He got in on him too late.

Thomas sucks, go ahead and take him though.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 04:25 PM)
He can visit Rose all he wants, but he better have a suitcase full of cash if he wants him to consider KU.  He got in on him too late.

Thomas sucks, go ahead and take him though.

Self can't coach worth a lick, the man can flat out recruit, plus we have the best chicago connection going.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 11:46 PM)
Self can't coach worth a lick, the man can flat out recruit, plus we have the best chicago connection going.

He's maybe the best recruiter in the nation, but he got in too late on Rose and there are too many heavyweights that have been on him for a while. Self will just get some another super duper 5 star recruit though.