Recruiting Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You constantly attack Bruce Weber for no reason.

It appears that it is your Rock Chalk inferiority complex.

Perhaps if you did not talk s*** about Weber then people wouldnt call you on it?

I dont know Im not even an Illinois fan, but in my opinion KU fans have a serious envy complex, that makes it necessary for them to attack other teams and fans for no reason.

Its not like Illinois chose Weber over Self, Self chose KU over Illinois. So why is there the animosity towards Weber?

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 01:42 PM)
You constantly attack Bruce Weber for no reason.

It appears that it is your Rock Chalk inferiority complex.

Perhaps if you did not talk s*** about Weber then people wouldnt call you on it?

I dont know Im not even an Illinois fan, but in my opinion KU fans have a serious envy complex, that makes it necessary for them to attack other teams and fans for no reason.

Its not like Illinois chose Weber over Self, Self chose KU over Illinois. So why is there the animosity towards Weber?

I could care less about Illinois anymore...just innocent poking fun. i wish the illinois program good luck.

PIVEN ROCKS

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 02:43 PM)
At least Jeremy Piven is going to be there.

Haha awesome.

I know just about anything I say is going to make me look like an asshole, but I'm sorry Illini fans. I know this is a huge blow, and there's nothing enjoyable about it. However, I hope you guys can still pull a solid class, and we've definitely got one solid rivalry on our hands now.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 02:09 PM)
Haha awesome.

I know just about anything I say is going to make me look like an asshole, but I'm sorry Illini fans. I know this is a huge blow, and there's nothing enjoyable about it. However, I hope you guys can still pull a solid class, and we've definitely got one solid rivalry on our hands now.

though piven was at the blackhawks opening night....hes just making the rounds i guess. KU gets to entertain our recruits with the Bulls taking on the Sonics on sunday at the AFH

Hinrich v. Collison, kind of cool

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 02:09 PM)
Haha awesome.

Honestly I don't think IU or Sampson did anything wrong in this case. Sampson is a scumbag for other reasons, but not for this. He calculated right hiring his entire staff to entice EJ. My entire problem with the situation was that EJ and his father are liars who handled this situation as poorly as possible.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 02:14 PM)
Honestly I don't think IU or Sampson did anything wrong in this case. Sampson is a scumbag for other reasons, but not for this. He calculated right hiring his entire staff to entice EJ. My entire problem with the situation was that EJ and his father are liars who handled this situation as poorly as possible.

I agree. Because Gordon said he was coming to Illinois, Weber and the staff stopped recruiting for his position. So, they got screwed. Decommit and then look at other schools. If you stay committed, how CAN Illinois continue to recruit for that spot? I mean, if they do, then it looks like they don't want Gordon or are prepared for him to leave, which, if I were a recruit...i would leave.

And now, if UI offers that scholarship to another 4 or 5-star recruit, won't that recruit feel like a second fiddle and not want to go? I just think Gordon and his family handled this wrong and the Orange Crush is gonna have a field day with this...which they should and have every right to.

Why do people call Eric Gordon EJ?

Also, are people still going to tell me Bruce Weber is a good recruiter? The only prize he had from the Championship Game from 2 years ago, just decided to go against a verbal committment and go to a rival. Like I have been saying, Weber can't recruit, the end. That type of coach doesn't last long, especially if they can't recruit based off a national championship appearance.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 02:31 PM)
Why do people call Eric Gordon EJ?

Also, are people still going to tell me Bruce Weber is a good recruiter? The only prize he had from the Championship Game from 2 years ago, just decided to go against a verbal committment and go to a rival. Like I have been saying, Weber can't recruit, the end. That type of coach doesn't last long, especially if they can't recruit based off a national championship appearance.

my point exactly...bravo to you, great post.

Weber has lost Chicago, which Self won back for Illinois, and is now taking for himself .Sampson and Izzo and Motta are going to eat up the midwest. Diamonds in a rough only come once in a while.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 02:34 PM)

Weber has lost Chicago, which Self won back for Illinois, and is now taking for himself .Sampson and Izzo and Motta are going to eat up the midwest. Diamonds in a rough only come once in a while.

Exactly. If Illinois is going to stay a top team, they have to be able to recruit in their own state. They're losing guys left and right, especially from Chicago to Self and Izzo and Coach K, amongst others. Weber is a great coach, but that will only take Illinois to SIU status which is tournament status, but probably won't get out of the first weekend of the big tourney.

Don't say that until Derrick Rose commits elsewhere, if he does. He's a Simeon product. If he commits elsewhere, THEN you can say he's lost Chicago.

He's not a great recruiter, that's for sure...he needs to hire someone from Chicago, either a well-thought of high school coach or someone off Jimmy Collins staff...or for that matter, Jimmy Collins, if he'll come back.

Self never had Chicago while he was at Illinois. He didn't have Chicago till he moved to KU. His Chicago recruits were Head who wasn't at top 100 player and Aaron Spears who wasn't good. He lost out on Dockery and Thompson who were the two big recruits from Chicago. Illinois hasn't been able to recruit Chicago since the Deon Thomas affair. Proviso East isn't the CPL and Weber has already landed a pretty big recruit from there in Brian Carlwell.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 02:37 PM)
Don't say that until Derrick Rose commits elsewhere, if he does. He's a Simeon product. If he commits elsewhere, THEN you can say he's lost Chicago.

He's not a great recruiter, that's for sure...he needs to hire someone from Chicago, either a well-thought of high school coach or someone off Jimmy Collins staff...or for that matter, Jimmy Collins, if he'll come back.

You know for damn sure Rose isn't committing to Illinois. That's not even a question. He'll probably committ to Indiana since all I've been hearing is that if Gordon committs to Indiana, he would like to as well.

And yes, they need to start picking guys off other staffs from Chicago because they are losing guys left and right.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 02:40 PM)
You know for damn sure Rose isn't committing to Illinois. That's not even a question. He'll probably committ to Indiana since all I've been hearing is that if Gordon committs to Indiana, he would like to as well.

And yes, they need to start picking guys off other staffs from Chicago because they are losing guys left and right.

Chicago hasn't been friendly to Illinois since Deon Thomas. Kruger couldn't recruit Chicago for s***, and Self didn't do well in Chicago either till he left Illinois.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 02:42 PM)
Chicago hasn't been friendly to Illinois since Deon Thomas. Kruger couldn't recruit Chicago for s***, and Self didn't do well in Chicago either till he left Illinois.

Tell me if im wrong but wasnt Dee Brown a chicagoland dude. It is a known fact that Coaches don't like weber and he is kept out of the "circle". good luck getting assistants.

Edited by Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 02:38 PM)
Self never had Chicago while he was at Illinois. He didn't have Chicago till he moved to KU. His Chicago recruits were Head who wasn't at top 100 player and Aaron Spears who wasn't good. He lost out on Dockery and Thompson who were the two big recruits from Chicago. Illinois hasn't been able to recruit Chicago since the Deon Thomas affair. Proviso East isn't the CPL and Weber has already landed a pretty big recruit from there in Brian Carlwell.

Julian Wright (who would've gone here if Self stayed), Luther Head, Aaron Spears(who was #75 recruit), Dee Brown to name a few. Also, Self never went after Dockey. It was mainly DePaul, Duke, and Michigan State. Thompson was always set on Duke because he's one of those guys who always wanted to play for Coach K. James Augustine is from the Chicagoland area. You could say he lost Rick Cornett, Shannon Brown, and Dameon Mason, but he was also recruiting guys like Charlie Villanueva. These are guys that Weber is losing to teams like Depaul.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 02:47 PM)
Julian Wright (who would've gone here if Self stayed), Luther Head, Aaron Spears(who was #75 recruit), Dee Brown to name a few. Also, Self never went after Dockey. It was mainly DePaul, Duke, and Michigan State. Thompson was always set on Duke because he's one of those guys who always wanted to play for Coach K. James Augustine is from the Chicagoland area. You could say he lost Rick Cornett, Shannon Brown, and Dameon Mason, but he was also recruiting guys like Charlie Villanueva. These are guys that Weber is losing to teams like Depaul.

Julian Wright = Golden GOD

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 02:42 PM)

There's a difference though, Kruger was able to get guys like Brian Cook, Sergia McClain, and Frank Williams that were in-state. Plus he got Corey Bradford who was a promising recruit from out of state. Weber's recruiting class pretty much depended on Gordon and it fell through big.

Still kind of sad that he could not get scheyer, hell his brother was his coach.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 02:50 PM)
There's a difference though, Kruger was able to get guys like Brian Cook, Sergia McClain, and Frank Williams that were in-state. Plus he got Corey Bradford who was a promising recruit from out of state. Weber's recruiting class pretty much depended on Gordon and it fell through big.

last year's class sucked also.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 02:50 PM)
Still kind of sad that he could not get scheyer, hell his brother was his coach.

Exactly. That's another guy who should've been a shoe-in. Weber is the type of coach who belongs at an SIU.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 02:51 PM)

last year's class sucked also.

Exactly my point. He's been pretty much sucking it up recruiting wise since he got here.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 02:45 PM)
Tell me if im wrong but wasnt Dee Brown a chicagoland dude. It is a known fact that Coaches don't like weber and he is kept out of the "circle". good luck getting assistants.

Brown was from Maywood. Its a suburb of Chicagoland. And Weber got Carlwell from the same school. Self did a great job getting Deron out of Texas and getting Dee. His other recruiting wins at Illinois were nothing special (unless you count Villanueva who didn't sign a LOI). Randle and McBride were from central Illinois, Illinois was the biggest school on their lists and they likely would have been Illini no matter what. Head wasn't a top 100 recruit. Blandon Ferguson was awful. Spears was a late decommit. Kyle Wilson wasn't top 100. Augustine was between Illinois and Purdue. Warren Carter wasn't a top 100 recruit. Weber needs to change his recruiting philosophy I agree, but Self was no recruiting god at Illinois.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 02:52 PM)
Brown was from Maywood. Its a suburb of Chicagoland. And Weber got Carlwell from the same school. Self did a great job getting Deron out of Texas and getting Dee. His other recruiting wins at Illinois were nothing special (unless you count Villanueva who didn't sign a LOI). Randle and McBride were from central Illinois, Illinois was the biggest school on their lists and they likely would have been Illini no matter what. Head wasn't a top 100 recruit. Blandon Ferguson was awful. Spears was a late decommit. Kyle Wilson wasn't top 100. Augustine was between Illinois and Purdue. Warren Carter wasn't a top 100 recruit. Weber needs to change his recruiting philosophy I agree, but Self was no recruiting god at Illinois.

that or top recruits just dont want to play for illinois. Self did damn good for what it's worth.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 02:50 PM)

Tell me all of the talented players from central Illinois in Weber's tenure. Livingston, Jamar, Cole, and ???. The talent from Illinois has been down big time. Making Weber's misses much worse than Self's. Self missed on Andre Iguodola, Dockery, Thompson, among others but still was able to get Dee and Augie. Besides if you are going to give credit to self for recruiting Head then Weber gets credit for Brock who was just as highly regarded as a recruit. Carlwell was a more highly regarded big man than anyone Self brought in. Pruitt is from the Chicagoland area as is McCamey.

I'm done discussing this.

Edited by whitesoxfan99