Recruiting Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 11:15 PM)
:huh:

I don't think people realize how locked in Gordon was to Illinois. If Bruce hadn't treated him like a current player and stopped doing any recruiting of Gordon once he verballed, he never leaves. And before the Bruce defenders say it, you don't assume the recruit is yours until the LOI is signed. It's not illegal to recruit a oral commit, and Sampson got it done, but if Bruce had kept on the trail of Gordon, he goes to Illinois.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 11:45 PM)
I don't think people realize how locked in Gordon was to Illinois. If Bruce hadn't treated him like a current player and stopped doing any recruiting of Gordon once he verballed, he never leaves. And before the Bruce defenders say it, you don't assume the recruit is yours until the LOI is signed. It's not illegal to recruit a oral commit, and Sampson got it done, but if Bruce had kept on the trail of Gordon, he goes to Illinois.

I'm not buying this explanation for one minute, and i don't think any IU fans do either, for that matter. To say Gordon was 'locked' is beyond wrong.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Oct 14, 2006 -> 12:49 AM)
I'm not buying this explanation for one minute, and i don't think any IU fans do either, for that matter. To say Gordon was 'locked' is beyond wrong.

We have our disagreements, but I'll agree with you there. I continued to believe he was going to Illinois, until I heard concrete evidence otherwise. However, since about August or so, it's really felt like it was a 50/50 on where he'd end up.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Oct 14, 2006 -> 12:07 AM)
We have our disagreements, but I'll agree with you there. I continued to believe he was going to Illinois, until I heard concrete evidence otherwise. However, since about August or so, it's really felt like it was a 50/50 on where he'd end up.

I know you did, and that was probly the right attitude to have...but the longer it went, the more i thought Gordon was going to IU. Honestly, i thought it was about 90/10 come today.

I think everyone involved in this whole thing did a terrible job, from Weber to Sampson to Gordon and especially his dad.

Like i said earlier, i just wish this was handled differently so we wouldn't be left so high and dry. I can understand the reasons and the process behind picking IU, i'm not really too upset over that stuff.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Oct 13, 2006 -> 11:05 PM)
Tupper says:

So what happens now? Part of the problem for Weber is that many recruiting decisions have been made based on Gordon’s commitment 11 months ago. Other shooting guards have backed away, and some have been passed over, knowing Gordon would play every possible minute. So it’s impossible to instantly switch to Plan B.

I only agree with you that it may be impossible to "immediately" switch to Plan B. But if there is no Plan B or Plan C, for that matter, in the works then something is wrong. He has to have other options in his mind. Options he has at least begun to explore before last week.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Oct 14, 2006 -> 12:45 AM)
I only agree with you that it may be impossible to "immediately" switch to Plan B. But if there is no Plan B or Plan C, for that matter, in the works then something is wrong. He has to have other options in his mind. Options he has at least begun to explore before last week.

I agree with you...and i highly doubt Weber has no plan in place. However, it's hard to get certain recruits when they think Gordon's going here to fill a spot, you know?

Also, there's such little time left before signing day. That's why it is a Plan C, or D, or whatever, at this point.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Oct 14, 2006 -> 12:54 AM)
I agree with you...and i highly doubt Weber has no plan in place. However, it's hard to get certain recruits when they think Gordon's going here to fill a spot, you know?

Also, there's such little time left before signing day. That's why it is a Plan C, or D, or whatever, at this point.

I agree that it will be much tougher than it would have been. But in the grand scheme of things, you can't really blame a 17-yr old who is doing what he thinks is best for him in the long run. It hurts, just as if it were losing a key employee to a competitor, but at the end of the day everyone has to look out for themselves.

I don't know the depth of the Illinois roster that well, but teams are not made up of one recruiting class (with rare exceptions). Surely, they can find a way to survive if they can't get a SG this class??

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Oct 14, 2006 -> 01:00 AM)
I agree that it will be much tougher than it would have been. But in the grand scheme of things, you can't really blame a 17-yr old who is doing what he thinks is best for him in the long run. It hurts, just as if it were losing a key employee to a competitor, but at the end of the day everyone has to look out for themselves.

I don't know the depth of the Illinois roster that well, but teams are not made up of one recruiting class (with rare exceptions). Surely, they can find a way to survive if they can't get a SG this class??

While i understand your sentiment, i put this on the dad more than the kid. I honestly think that if he chose where he went, it would have been illinois. This whole 'business' side of recruiting with his dad and alumni had a huge impact on this recruitment, i believe. There's so many sides to this recruitment/overall recruiting it makes my head spin.

The only positive to take from this is it opens up a scholly to use on a guy who may stay here 3-4 years...if gordon stays for one, it's not as huge a loss. I'm not saying it's not a loss, but it's not as bad.

The next few years of recruiting will be huge for us. It's almost at the point where we need to go after all 4 stars and some 3's. If a 5 shows interest, don't go ga-ga over him...either get the kid to come here or just back off him, no in betweens, if that makes sense. You can't let kids hold your program by the proverbial balls.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 14, 2006 -> 12:52 AM)
Well if Gordon has really been on the fence the last several months, Bruce shoulda had a backup plan, which he obviously didn't.

It's funny cause you were the one who basically said Gordon was 100 percent locked into U of I not more than a few days ago. I despise Illinois and I couldn't care less either way about IU but what Gordon did here is just wrong here imo. Like Krush said, Weber really can't do more recruiting for Gordon's spot when he thinks he's locked in for the Illini. What's he supposed to tell a top recruit "Well there is a shot that Gordon might leave so remember us just in case." Gordon really left UI in a rough spot here.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Oct 14, 2006 -> 01:00 AM)

If by survive, you mean lucky to be in top 25, then yeah, Illinois will have a shot at that. Anything more than that though, Illinois has gone down the crapper.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Oct 14, 2006 -> 07:38 AM)
If by survive, you mean lucky to be in top 25, then yeah, Illinois will have a shot at that. Anything more than that though, Illinois has gone down the crapper.

While that may or may not be true, it seems to be a bit of an overreaction to me. You don't have to be full of 5-star recruits to win games. Granted, it's nice to have them, but in the overall scheme of things I'd rather have 3-4 star guys that will stick around for 4 years, than a bunch of one and done guys. IU has competed at a Top 5 or 10 level many times without elite recruits.

I'm hoping that Gordon will turn out to be at least a 2-3 year player. That may be wishful thinking, but stranger things have happened.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Oct 14, 2006 -> 07:55 AM)
While that may or may not be true, it seems to be a bit of an overreaction to me.

It's a huge overreaction. Like you said there are ways to survive without unbelievable, ridiculous talent. I'll guarantee you one thing, and that's that Bruce will get the most out of the talent he has.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 14, 2006 -> 07:57 AM)
It's a huge overreaction. Like you said there are ways to survive without unbelievable, ridiculous talent. I'll guarantee you one thing, and that's that Bruce will get the most out of the talent he has.

Not really. If it was mostly about coaching over talent, then how come the vast majority of talent wins out in the NCAA? Only team that did anything was George Mason. That's the only team ever. No one can possibly tell me, that the Illini, with the way its recruiting is going, is national championship contender material, nor are they final four material.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Oct 15, 2006 -> 12:07 AM)
Not really. If it was mostly about coaching over talent, then how come the vast majority of talent wins out in the NCAA? Only team that did anything was George Mason. That's the only team ever. No one can possibly tell me, that the Illini, with the way its recruiting is going, is national championship contender material, nor are they final four material.

Illinois certainly has better than mid-major talent. The comparison was ridiculous.

Anyway, it is more than possible to win without great recruiting, although it certainly helps. Heck, Maryland won the whole thing without any burger boys on their roster.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 14, 2006 -> 07:19 PM)
Illinois certainly has better than mid-major talent. The comparison was ridiculous.

Anyway, it is more than possible to win without great recruiting, although it certainly helps. Heck, Maryland won the whole thing without any burger boys on their roster.

No it's not ridiculous. I'm comparing schools with good coaching, but little to no talent, not majors with midmajors.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Oct 14, 2006 -> 08:02 PM)
Hi Mr. Gordon, welcome to soxtalk

Ha I wish. I actually can honestly tell you this was a done deal until Thursday night, but I'll stop since you understandable think I'm full of ish. Ah well, that's not the point, the point is losing Gordon in inexcuseable by Weber, but we've covered that.

/beating dead horse, and done with subject.

So in the blink of an eye, Weber did something on Thursday night to make Gordon suddenly and surprisingly pick IU.

Um, no...regardless of what you are trying to 'honestly' tell us.

BTW, i think it's fine to get on Weber for missing out on recruits...i just don't think people should use this as the main subject matter. I don't think it's as 'inexcusable' you think, considering all the circumstances, but that's just me.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Oct 14, 2006 -> 08:17 PM)
So in the blink of an eye, Weber did something on Thursday night to make Gordon suddenly and surprisingly pick IU.

Um, no...regardless of what you are trying to 'honestly' tell us.

BTW, i think it's fine to get on Weber for missing out on recruits...i just don't think people should use this as the main subject matter. I don't think it's as 'inexcusable' you think, considering all the circumstances, but that's just me.

This isn't the main subject as to why Weber can't recruit, it's just the boiling point. And Weber didn't lose Gordon, Sampson won him away....my problem is Gordon should have been put away months ago, but the Illini took his verbal for granted, which opened the door for the Hoosiers.

To clear something up, Gordon has been silently committed to IU for weeks now, although made no mention of this to anyone in the Illinois program. I've learned in some even greater detail about the story, and I can't help but think Gordon Sr is a slime ball as is Sampson for how he handled the situation.

I've also learned the exact details behind KU's probation from a KU booster. Pretty funny story if anyone wants to hear it.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 14, 2006 -> 08:31 PM)
To clear something up, Gordon has been silently committed to IU for weeks now, although made no mention of this to anyone in the Illinois program. I've learned in some even greater detail about the story, and I can't help but think Gordon Sr is a slime ball as is Sampson for how he handled the situation.

I've also learned the exact details behind KU's probation from a KU booster. Pretty funny story if anyone wants to hear it.

I believe it regarding Gordon. I don't think the kid is a slimeball, but his dad sure as hell is. But if Gordon has indeed been a silent verbal for weeks, that is an even louder indictment of Bruce.

As for KU, I know little about that situation, but based on what I do know.... yeah if they weren't KU, they'd probably get the SMU football treatment.